FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[How To] Downgrade and Unlock and S-OFF "Almost" Every GSM EVO 3D Out There !!!

474 posts
Thanks Meter: 121

By s_superman, Senior Member on 29th January 2012, 11:44 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Sorry I'm not following up on this thread as I usually did, this is due to whats going on in Egypt..
as I'm usually contribute in the protests so most of the time I'm not home
but I see XDA member "Flashmaniac" is doing a great job
EDIT : Check the Second post, it has a program he created that makes this process more easier !!
so I just wanted to thank him for his great efforts in the OP, and you guys should thank him too

thank you very much
flashmaniac

Hi Everyone
this is my first contribution to this great forum...
first off and to clear everything up..
this is NOT my work, nor do I take any credit for it
the original creator of this work has removed it and I wont mention who he is so he doesnt get arrested by SOPA or The FBI or whatever is going on in the US
but I think we know him all
so thanks to him I unlocked and S-OFF'd my EVO after having it useless for several months..

and I think other people should have this too

so, the SOPA and the FBI dont scare me and I take full legal responsibility of the contents of this tutorial..

I did this from the beleif that everyone has the right to S-OFF his device and fully enjoy its benefits like I did
and the fact that I achieved S-OFF before this guide got removed does not make me better than anyone
so enjoy

and please hope I dont get banned for this

So ...

Hi Everybody.
This instruction for all version hboot and all main version.

1. Download all the files.

PG86IMG.zip Official firmware with European HBOOT 1.49.0007. Rename it to PG86IMG.zip

xvi32.rar xvi32 hex editor.

adb.rar adb.exe and fastboot.exe.

2. You need unlock and root your phone. htcdev.com for unlock your phone.

3. Plug Evo 3D in cherge mode.

4. Extract adb.rar to C:\

Run command line and enter next commands

cd c:\adb

adb shell dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p31 of=/mnt/sdcard/mmcblk0p31.img

Dont close command line and plug your sd card.

5. Extract xvi32.rar and open mmcblk0p31.img.

Change version in xvi32 1.22.720.1 to 1.20.720.1 and save file. (You version may be different? you need chane it to 1.20....)

6. Plug your phone in charge mode. Go to command line and enter this command

adb shell dd if=/mnt/sdcard/mmcblk0p31.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p31

adb reboot-bootloader

\\Change CId

fastboot oem writecid HTC__001

\\Lock bootloader

fastboot oem lock

7. Power off phone. unplug battery and copy PG86IMG.zip to root SD card.

Then power off phone to bootloader (vol down+ power button).

PG86IMG.zip cheking from phone< then you need press vol up for update, or vol down for not update. Press vol up. Wait.

You have hboot 1.49.0007.) Congratulation.)

8.Unlock bootloader from htcdev.com and s-off from revolutionary.io.

P.S. All manipulations you do at your own risk.

The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to s_superman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift s_superman Ad-Free

29th January 2012, 11:45 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cairo

More
Lightbulb Updates and tips submitted by members
-=Updates and tips added by members will be here=-

UPDATE : 08-Feb-2012

an awesome tool compiled by the awesome XDA member Flashmaniac
BIG thanks to him
just waited for some users to confirm it works before adding to the OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmaniac

Ok guys, it's ready! You just need my tool, no need to do anything yourself. Except of goldcard (if necessary)

Download
extract it anywhere and do the following steps

ATTENTION: You do that, cause you want it. If you have problems afterwards it's not my fault, nor the fault of xda's or someone else. It's 100% working if you do it correctly.

1. You need to be preerooted. Flash a custom rom i.e. LeeDroiD.
2. Plug your phone to your computer. Normald Mode-Usb Debugging Enabled.
3. Start step1.exe - if you get any error, don't even try step2.exe - post the error here and I will try to help you
4. If necessary, create a goldcard. step1.exe will start a tool when it is finished. The tool is easy to use. It will help you to create and patch the goldcard
5. Start step2.exe - it will start flushing after sometime - DO NOT even think about removing the USB Cabel when it has started. That might temp-brick your phone.
6. You will see a status on your monitor and onscreen of your device
7. When it's done it will reboot - you will have x07 Hboot and continue s-offing via Revolutionary

Enjoy and report please! When I have 5 users telling me that it is working, I will make a new Thread for it.

UPDATE : 06-Feb-2012

yet a very good and well written alternative guide written by stylohaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylohaku

In addition to great post by s_superman, this is how i achieve s-off using this method, at first i come to a difficulties and finally succeed after 5 attempt. So you if you find my post help, good for you.

Reminder: I will not responsible for any damage done to your devices.

Tools that you need:

1. Evo 3d GSM
  2. USB Cable
  3. Micro SD Card Adapter
  4. A Laptop with build in card reader / USB card reader adapter

Step 1:
Download the following file/tools that s_superman provide (refer 1st post).
  1. PG86IMG.zip
  2. xvi32 hex editor
  3. adb.rar - Extract to C:\adb\

Step 2:
Unlock your phone using HTCDev.com
* Please make sure at the end of the unlock procedure you did not relock it back by typing "fastboot oem lock" - this will relock your devices!
Now your devices should reboot.

Step 3:
1. Plug in your cable in charge mode
2. Open command prompt.
3. Type "cd c:\adb"
4. Type "adb shell dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p31 of=/mnt/sdcard/mmcblk0p31.img"
5. Minimize your command prompt window, DO NOT EXIT.

Step 4:
1. Change your USB mode from "Charge Only" to "Disk Drive"
2. Open xvi32 Hex Editor you downloaded.
3. In the xvi32 window, click open> browse to mmcblk0p31.img located in your Sd Card.
4. Change the version to 1.20.401.2 (row 9A, refer to 1st post how to do this).
5. Click Save.
6. Change your USB mode from "Disk Drive" to " Charge Only".

Step 6:
1. Open back command prompt window
2. Type "adb shell dd if=/mnt/sdcard/mmcblk0p31.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p31"
3. Type "adb reboot-bootloader"
4. Plug in your USB Cable, select "Fastboot" if you are still in hboot menu. You will see "Fastboot" turn to "Fastboot USB".
5. Open back your command prompt, type "fastboot oem lock"
6. At your phone, don't do anything, just select "power down" and make sure it power off.
7. Remove the battery.

Step 7:
1. Take out the SD Card and put it in the Sd Card adapter.
2. Plug it to your PC and transfer the PG86IMG.zip into the sdcard. Do not put it in the folder.
3. Remove the card from the PC and put it in your phone, put back the battery but DO NOT connect the USB cable to your phone.
4. Press volume down button first (do not let go), and then press power button. The bootloader menu will show up.
5. It will now detects PG86IMG.zip image, let it be for a while and it will bring the update menu, press volume up button to update.
6. It will now update your image.

Step 8:
1. After finished, remove the PG86IMG.zip from your SD Card immediately using file browser ( if cannot just power down, remove the card from your phone, and plug to your adapter> connect to PC> remove PG86IMG.zip> and put the card back to your phone).
2. You will now have hboot 1.49.0007
3. Unlock your devices again using HTCDev Method (again, in the end of the procedure, DO NOT relock your devices by typing "fastboot oem lock").
4. Reboot.
5. In your roms, please enable USB Debugging. You can change it in Setting>Applications>Development>.
6. Disable Fastboot. You can do that in Setting>Power>.

Step 9:
1. If you install the HTC Sync, please uninstall it now as revolutionary I0 will not work.
2. Go to revolutionary.i0
3. Download the one for according to your PC OS, window or linux.
4. After you download, you will see the revolutionary i0 web will show "Beta Key" window.
5. Extract the revolutionaryi0 file to C:\rev\
6. Make sure you connect your USB cable and put in charge mode.

Step 10:
1. Download HTC Driver from HERE. Double click and install it (no window will appear in my case, so i assume it is already install after 2-3 minutes).
2. Go to C:\rev\, double click the Revolutionary.exe in the folder (for XP) or right click>run as administrator (for Vista/ Window 7).
3. Command prompt will appear, it will automatically detects your phone serial no. (in my case HT..........).
4. In the "Beta Key" box in the Revolutionary i0 web just now, Select the model of the phone and your hboot version. In this case 1.49.0007.
5. Write the serial no. you got from command prompt and write it into the "serial no." fields, click "Generate Key".
* Please make sure the serial no. you enter are correct, there are small differences between 0 and O, i and I, l and L, U and V.
6. Type the key that appear in the web into the command prompt and hit "Enter".
7. Now sit back and relax, it will do it jobs automatically until your device achieve S-Off.
8. It will prompt you to download and install recovery image. Type Y and hit "Enter".
9. Wait until it is finished, reboot if it not reboot autmoatically.

Step 11:
If you encounter problem that you cannot charging your devices while phone off. This is due to CWM recovery version of 5.0.2.0 which have charging bug while off.

So you have to flash recovery version 4.0.1.4

How to do it:
1. Download recovery image from HERE (Credit to Monx)

2. There are two ways of flashing
1st Method
- In your roms, install Flash Image Gui
- Put the downloaded recovery image in your SD Card
- Browse and Flash em.

2nd Method
- Put the recovery image into C:\adb\ folder
- Reboot your devices to bootloader mode (power off, unplug cable, vol - and then power button)
- Plug cable until "fastboot" change to "fastboot USB".
- Open command prompt, type "cd c:\adb"
- Then type "fastboot flash recovery cwm-4.0.1.4-shooteru.img"
- Done.

Now you have s-off with CWM recovery.

CREDIT TO ALL DEV/FORUMERS WHO GAVE ME THE KNOWLEDGE.

Monx
s_superman
Revolutionary Team
others that contribute (sorry i have a bad memory in remembering names).

Again, this is not my work, i just showing you guys how i achieve s-off. It is difficult so that is why i post this, might help few users who are new to all this stuff just like me.

Cheers and Good Luck

Thank you so much

UPDATE : 30-Jan-2012
Flashmaniac says its unnecessary to change the cid for users who cant
and u can flash any RUU using his method described below :

Quote:

It's just like that:
instead of flashing the PGXXX.IMG you can simply flash any RUU.
Except of the branding that is on ur device. If your device is branded by vodafone you can just flash a vodafone RUU.

The number that you have to change in the mmcblk block has to be the number that the RUU has. So if you choose to flash a RUU, and the ruu number is 1.20.401.8, you change the number to 1.20.401.8. With this way you can flash any RUU no matter which Hboot Version is included.

The one and only restriction is your branding.
Step 1: Change your mmcblk0p31.img Version number to the number that your RUU has. I.E. you are on 1.207.50.8 and your ruu has 1.20.401.8 change it to that number. (how to extract etc can be taken from the OP)
Step 2: Push it back as described in the OP
Step 3: boot into bootloader and do

Code:
fastboot oem lock
Step 4: Run the RUU and Enjoy.

I did that already twice with 2 german people that have had a problem because they were not able to change their cid.

Hope you can understand my explanation.
A list of RUU's:
http://www.filefactory.com/f/4ef0ef536face67a/

Quote:

Also this won't work without s-off, you will get permission denied:

Code:
adb shell dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p31 of=/mnt/sdcard/mmcblk0p31.img
this way:
Code:
adb shell
$ or # will show (depends on if you are prerooted or not)
su
now except the request on your display.
now
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p31 of=/mnt/sdcard/mmcblk0p31.img

Thank you so much
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to s_superman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift s_superman Ad-Free
29th January 2012, 11:46 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cairo

More
and another one just in case
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to s_superman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift s_superman Ad-Free
30th January 2012, 12:06 AM |#4  
Flag blackpool
Thanks Meter: 820

More
Just a quick question having downgraded hboot and achieved s-off is it possible to upgrade to original hboot without losing root or s-off

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to chubby65 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chubby65 Ad-Free
30th January 2012, 12:24 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cairo

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby65

Just a quick question having downgraded hboot and achieved s-off is it possible to upgrade to original hboot without losing root or s-off

no you cant I think

but why would you want to do that??
The Following User Says Thank You to s_superman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift s_superman Ad-Free
30th January 2012, 12:45 AM |#6  
Flag blackpool

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_superman

no you cant I think

but why would you want to do that??

The 3d games that come with that rom are missing from the rom with the downgraded hboot but missing out on them is a small price to pay for s-off

The Following User Says Thank You to chubby65 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chubby65 Ad-Free
30th January 2012, 01:09 AM |#7  
Phnom Penh
Thanks Meter: 42

More
Would u mind to advise step by step to root & flash any popular custom rom my unlocked Testra EVO 3D as I'm noob & new on this device?

Thank in advance and I'm living in Cambodia using this unlocked Testra device and just bought it from my friend today.

If I will do per your above instruction, and something goes wrong need to revert back to stock, will my phone be branded&locked from Testra again?

***Lock***

Shooter_u PVT.SHIP S-ON RL

BOot-.1.49.0012

eMM-boot

Aug.4.2011

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using xda premium
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to veasna.kelly For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift veasna.kelly Ad-Free
30th January 2012, 02:27 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cairo

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by veasna.kelly

Would u mind to advise step by step to root & flash any popular custom rom my unlocked Testra EVO 3D as I'm noob & new on this device?

Thank in advance and I'm living in Cambodia using this unlocked Testra device and just bought it from my friend today.

If I will do per your above instruction, and something goes wrong need to revert back to stock, will my phone be branded&locked from Testra again?

***Lock***

Shooter_u PVT.SHIP S-ON RL

BOot-.1.49.0012

eMM-boot

Aug.4.2011

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using xda premium

follow the guide above and you will achieve s-off and you will be able to flash any rom or kernel

and you cant revert this process...

or maybe you can but there is a high risk of bricking
and its not worth it
it will display ***RELOCKED*** though...
30th January 2012, 02:29 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cairo

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby65

The 3d games that come with that rom are missing from the rom with the downgraded hboot but missing out on them is a small price to pay for s-off

google those games and you will find them

and there is a 1.24 based rom lying around here somewhere that has a zip file containing the games and the dictionary

and fyi
hboot has nothing to do with games

and you can download your shipped rom and extract the apk files for your games and push them to your phone...
The Following User Says Thank You to s_superman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift s_superman Ad-Free
30th January 2012, 08:34 AM |#10  
Flag blackpool

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_superman

google those games and you will find them

and there is a 1.24 based rom lying around here somewhere that has a zip file containing the games and the dictionary

and fyi
hboot has nothing to do with games

and you can download your shipped rom and extract the apk files for your games and push them to your phone...

Just downloaded OTA update couldn't install so extracted thru root explorer and got games that way
I meant the games were in the original rom with upgraded hboot sorry about that

30th January 2012, 08:58 AM |#11  
Flag Bremen
Thanks Meter: 474

More
Just to let you know, changing the CID does NOT work if your device has no SUPERCID or S-OFF.

But you don't even need to do that.
Just change the version number to a ruu which has the correct hboot version.
I.E a Vodafone ruu. fastboot oem lock and run the ruu
all what matters is the version number.
I did that twice already, its 100% working.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flashmaniac For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Flashmaniac Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
evo 3d, hboot, s-off, unlock

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)