FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] How to change the default keyboard on rooted NST?

7 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By viraniaman, Junior Member on 31st January 2012, 07:50 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have rooted my nook simple touch. Originally it was meant for reading only, but I write a lot too and writing on a computer screen is very straining as well as intimidating. I installed an app for takig notes on my NST but then I found that the keyboard isn't very nice on the nook. I want to change it. There are several keyboard apps on the market but none of them seem to work. I am not very much aware about the android system, so will someone please help me install a new keyboard? I don't need swype, swiftkey x will do. please help me install swiftkey x or something similar.

31st January 2012, 08:13 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
you have to move the apk file from /data/app to /system/app. Then use Nook Color Tools to select new keyboard.
I can recommend Hacker's keyboard (on market it is for android 2.2 and later but you can find somewhere on the forum link to a 2.1 version). Only cons is that it is dark but I have asked a developer and he is working on a different look (and hopefully also integrate 2.1 compatibility pach).
31st January 2012, 07:25 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
if you dont wanna open adb or anything, just do this

you can just install the app using Market
(or)
Download the apk from tto your computer. copy it to your SD card. Insert the SD card into nook and just open the folder in your SD card where you have the .apk and tap on it. then nook will ask for an install prompt and then proceed to install.

Once done enable the keybord from the app itself, or if you open NookColor tools you will have an ption to change the default keyboard
31st January 2012, 07:43 PM |#4  
Flag Brr...
Thanks Meter: 16

Donate to Me
More
Keyboards
Take a look at TorimuNooter, it has ICSKeyboard included.
31st January 2012, 07:49 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 54

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torimu.Joji

Take a look at TorimuNooter, it has ICSKeyboard included.

Just to add on to this, ICSKeyboard has a working autocorrect/suggestion system.
The Following User Says Thank You to Googie2149 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Googie2149 Ad-Free
1st February 2012, 08:09 AM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
thanks everyone. I figured it all out myself. I am currently on touchpal and am loving it. thanks for the Co ordination
1st February 2012, 07:07 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
How did you get Touchpal to work. I installed TouchPal Tablet and the keyboard was all messed up?
What version of Touchpal are you using?
2nd February 2012, 03:27 AM |#8  
Flag Lima
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Hello, I'm also looking for a better keyboard (for Spanish, for example).
I've tried many (I like ICSKeyboard), but all they lack the key "Done" (required when adding notes in the stock Reader).
Somebody knows if there is a keyboard that includes it?

TIA,
jugaor
2nd February 2012, 08:05 AM |#9  
OP Junior Member

More
sorry I meant smart keyboard pro. its great and very customizeable. it also has Spanish language for it, and many more.

I think the done key is not dependent on what keyboard you use (its not available on the stock of course), it gets activated only in situations the app needs it to. so if the apparently commands the use of the done key, it will be there. I am not sure if this is correct, but I do get the one key whenever I want on the smart keyboard pro.
17th August 2012, 07:30 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
I have the same problem with the "Done" key: for example when I want to add a note to my books, I found I can only do that with the stock keyboard which has a permanent "done" button for me to press. Any other keyboard I tried has the normal "enter" key, but no "done"... pressing enter has the effect of a carriage return on the notes (that allow for multiline comments up to 512 char), but I can't save the note.

Anyone found a solution to this?

Thanks anyone!
18th April 2013, 12:42 PM |#11  

More
ICS keyboard for NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googie2149

Just to add on to this, ICSKeyboard has a working autocorrect/suggestion system.

Your post is my only hope left in the sea of misery of keyboards without auto-suggestion. I tried to install a couple of ICSKeyboard builds on my 1.2.1 Nook rooted with NootManager, but to no avail. Could you tell me where to find a cab of this ICSKeyboard working on Nook?
The TorimuNooter is not available anywhere anymore. The only image I could find is 06K version; it doesn't have this keyboard.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)