FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Bluetooth GPS tether :D

1,370 posts
Thanks Meter: 316

By deadlocked007, Senior Member on 6th February 2012, 05:44 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
After the ics update apps like tethergps and others stopped working. I was like whaaaaaaaa So i went on a quest to find out how to get the GPS on my phone to be used on my tablet. So my first step was to find out how to enable mock locations.

It was in the development part of the settings -_-

So after having that enabled go to the market and download the app called Bluetooth GPS.

Then on your phone download the app called GPS 2 Bluetooth v.2.2. This app simply makes other devices think your phone is an external Bluetooth GPS receiver.

Its a widget so add it to your home screen and enable it so it looks like this.

Then pair your tablet with your phone and launch the app on your tablet and select your phone from the drop down menu and click connect.

Then **** your pants cause yeah would you look at that GPS yeah would you look at that GPS yeah would you look at that GPS it it it works out! ;D

Simplified written instructions thanks to Hyflex:
Android Phone:
Step 1) Open Market and/or Instal: GPS 2 Bluetooth
Step 2) If you do don't see the widget then reboot your phone.
Step 3) Turn on GPS
Step 4) Turn on your widget (press it)
Step 5) Turn on Bluetooth and pair with your transformer prime.

Transformer Prime:
Step 1) Open Settings
Step 2) Open Developer Options
Step 3) Enable "Allow Mock Locations" & Enable "USB Debugging"
Step 4) Open Market and/or Instal: Bluetooth GPS
Step 5) Turn on Bluetooth and pair with your android phone
Step 6) Open Bluetooth GPS
Step 7) Activate/Enable "Enable Mock GPS Provider"
Step 8) Press Connect.

Oh and has anyone else used Photoshop touch its freaking AMAZING!
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to deadlocked007 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift deadlocked007 Ad-Free

6th February 2012, 11:50 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thanks! worked a treat.
6th February 2012, 12:53 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Glendale Heights

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhoki666

Thanks! worked a treat.

Anytime although tell me whether or not it works well while moving I really haven't gotten the chance.

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA App
6th February 2012, 01:09 PM |#4  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 53

More
I try to connect on tablet and it crashs the app on my phone.
6th February 2012, 01:53 PM |#5  
Flag Alexandria, Va
Thanks Meter: 2,047

More
I keep getting connection refused. I have all the apps n followed all the steps. Once I press connect on tablet app, it says connection refused. Both devices are paired as i know my BT tethering for internet access works. Do I need tl cut on the GPS on the phone or leave it off? If I leave it off, trying to connect through tablet app will cut phone GPS on? I do have mock locations enabled in developer section.

I would love to get this working because my phone GPS is really good. It sees tons of satellites n locks in seconds with strong signals and very good accuracy. Like 4-8ft or less.
6th February 2012, 02:08 PM |#6  
Flag London

More
Are these written instructions correct?

Android Phone:
Step 1) Open Market and/or Instal: GPS 2 Bluetooth
Step 2) If you do don't see the widget then reboot your phone.
Step 3) Turn on GPS
Step 4) Turn on your widget (press it)
Step 5) Turn on Bluetooth and pair with your transformer prime.

Transformer Prime:
Step 1) Open Settings
Step 2) Open Developer Options
Step 3) Enable "Allow Mock Locations" & Enable "USB Debugging"
Step 4) Open Market and/or Instal: Bluetooth GPS
Step 5) Turn on Bluetooth and pair with your android phone
Step 6) Open Bluetooth GPS
Step 7) Activate/Enable "Enable Mock GPS Provider"
Step 8) Press Connect.
6th February 2012, 02:16 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Seems to work while moving on map, using the compass and what not however when I got to the navigation app it stops working, (navigation crashes) that's when I click "type destination" if i click speak destination it seems to get a little bit further, then says "this app requires a working data connection to work". This could be due to navigation only being in beta atm? Hope this was helpful
6th February 2012, 02:34 PM |#8  
Flag Alexandria, Va
Thanks Meter: 2,047

More
OK...I got it working...to an extent. I got phone n tablet connected thru Bluetooth GPS. That app show 11 satellites in view but can't get a lock. It might be because I'm indoors n a building surrounded by other buildings. I'm by the window though. Ill need to try this outside to get a lock. But when you press status tab, it is showing 11 satellites. Just can't get a fix where I'm at. Another thing o noticed isthe GPS test app won't recognize it. Meaning it won't show me the 11 satellites I'm seeing in the Bluetooth GPS app. Neither will GPS status or GPS essentials. Maybe I need a lock before it'll show in those. Not sure. Does your GPS test app recognize the satellites u seeing by being connected through tablet Bluetooth GPS app?

Something else I noticed also, from your pix is that in order for your Google earth or maps to show that lock, u have to have an internet connection streaming to prime. So on the road you would have to have wifi tethered to phone also, along with prime n phone connected by Bluetooth GPS. To be able to use Google maps navigation or Google earth. That's unless you have an offline client navigation app. Just wanted to point that out. Without an internet connection, as far as Google maps or earth goes, there is no way to bring up the data to show the maps. Even if connected thru BT GPS.

Promising finds though. I'm sure if I go outdoors ill easily get locks as indoors I'm seeing at least 11 satellites. Ill be testing this more out later n throughout the weak. A great workaround indeed. Thanks! I just wanna know if someone is connected through this method, does GPS test app show the data also. I can only see data through the tablet BT GPS app itself. It shows 11 satellites n the vary on strength. Just no fixes while indoors yet.

---------- Post added at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhoki666

Seems to work while moving on map, using the compass and what not however when I got to the navigation app it stops working, (navigation crashes) that's when I click "type destination" if i click speak destination it seems to get a little bit further, then says "this app requires a working data connection to work". This could be due to navigation only being in beta atm? Hope this was helpful

I think its due to u having to have a wifi internet connection, through tethering, in order to get navigation data. That's unless you use an offline navigation app.
6th February 2012, 02:35 PM |#9  
Flag London

More
For people who receive crashes with: GPS 2 Bluetooth, I personally like "GPS over bluetooth" better as it's shows more data
6th February 2012, 02:45 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Glendale Heights

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyflex

For people who receive crashes with: GPS 2 Bluetooth, I personally like "GPS over bluetooth" better as it's shows more data

It does but you have to pay for the full thing ;D

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA App
6th February 2012, 02:47 PM |#11  
Flag Wake Forest, NC
Thanks Meter: 319

More
It works!
I had a hard time with this at first, did everything in the steps, and as a test, also connected to my TomTom Wireless GPS MKII (Portable GPS receiver I got from Amazon for $9 LOL!

I couldn;t figue wy my phone, and Inspire GPS that gets good GPS reception would not work. It connected, with an error, then nothing. Finally it came to me! I had selected Mock Locations on the Prime, I had selected "Enable Mock Provider" in Bluetooth GPS, and pairing seemed to be working. Then it came to me, I had not selected allow Mock locations in Developer Options on the PHONE... When I toggled that, and reconnected, you could imediately see data in tha 6 black boxes of Bluetooth GPS, and I was set. You may want to add that as a step in the tutorial.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blairware For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Blairware Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)