FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Pantech Burst Love, Anyone? Anyone?

54 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By jcdeuce, Member on 8th February 2012, 09:10 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have been trying to figure out how to get into the fastboot mode on this pantech burst, really want to root it and maybe remove some of the stuff locked by AT&T. Anyone else find this phone very usable, like me. I think its a great phone and I have had several android phones in the past 2 years and this is my favorite "stock" firmware but just would like to remove the AT&T bloat.
The Following User Says Thank You to jcdeuce For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jcdeuce Ad-Free

10th February 2012, 02:49 AM |#2  
Flag Altoona, Pa
Thanks Meter: 35

Donate to Me
More
New to Android here. Got the burst cause salesman said it was newest and best in my range. Well there be a way to root this thing anytime soon? Meaning, what I'd the usual wait time for root after a new device is released? Would I be better off to go back and trade for something else like HTC? Always liked HTC OS on my old win mobile devices. Thanks for reply.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmckeejr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jmckeejr Ad-Free
10th February 2012, 07:13 AM |#3  
Flag Murray Hill, NJ
Thanks Meter: 1

More
My Pantech Burst bench notes
I have 2 brand new Bursts on my work bench. I've been doing some tinkering with them. Here are a few my bare bone notes so far:

Pantech Burst Model P9070

All of the articles I read said the Burst would ship with 2.3.4. Both of mine have 2.3.5. Last minute update?

According to AT&T the Latest Firmware is JUUS12052011

-----

Pull & reinsert the Battery, then hold Power & Volume Down buttons until a screen with a Triangle with Yellow ! appears. Once this pops up, Press the Menu button to make the Android Recovery <3e> menus appear.

At this point, The volume rockers become the up & down Keys. The Home button is Enter

-----

When you Pull & reinsert the Battery, then press & hold both Volume buttons then press Power - "S/W Upgrading" will appear on the screen

-----

So far ZergRush nor OneClick work to achieve Root.

---------- Post added at 01:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 AM ----------

Oh, and you can get the Pantech PC Suite which contains the ADB drivers here:

http://c724062.r62.cf2.rackcdn.com/P....0.10.3314.exe

That's taken directly from Pantech's site.
http://www.pantechusa.com/support/burst
The Following User Says Thank You to karlnorth For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift karlnorth Ad-Free
10th February 2012, 05:24 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 148

More
Here is the link to get open source files from Pantech.
http://opensource.pantech.com

I tried to search for Burst but it found nothing. I think the model number of the burst is "P9070". I searched that and found "P9070_Kernel.zip" file. It shows that it's country code is "KOR" and if I try to download it I get an error message
Quote:

입력 오류입니다. 숫자만 입력 가능합니다.
다시 확인하여 주시기 바랍니다.

I did a google search for "P9070_Kernel.zip" and found http://opensource.pantech.com/model/...tegory=Mobile# This still shows the country as KOR but it will let me download it. Not sure if this will help anyone with rooting or making a custom ROM. I am no programmer so I can't do anything with this file.
The Following User Says Thank You to marcusmarcus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift marcusmarcus Ad-Free
12th February 2012, 06:32 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
This still shows the country as KOR but it will let me download it. Not sure if this will help anyone with rooting or making a custom ROM. I am no programmer so I can't do anything with this file.[/QUOTE]

The P9060 shown on the site is supposed to be the US version of the Kernel.
12th February 2012, 03:57 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 148

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by purvis

The P9060 shown on the site is supposed to be the US version of the Kernel.

That is not the US version of the kernel for this device. It is the US kernel for the Panteck Pocket.
The Burst's model number is P9070
The Pocket's model number is P9060
http://www.pantechusa.com/support/pocket
You can try that kernel on the Burst if you want but it may very well brick the device
13th February 2012, 01:55 PM |#7  
OP Member
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Saw this while sitting here at work. wondering if once in the recovery could see the device from ADB.... maybe could even do fastboot oem unlock then work from there... all things to try once I get home...
13th February 2012, 03:00 PM |#8  

Donate to Me
More
i have this pantech IM-A730s with lock pattern problem.
i had downloaded the kernel zip file from the linsk from above.
can anyone guide me how to reflash the phone?
thx
13th February 2012, 10:10 PM |#9  
Flag Murray Hill, NJ
Thanks Meter: 1

More
The "PantechP9070_README.txt" included in what you downloaded clearly shows this is only the Source Code to compile a kernel. It is NOT a flashable Kernel. If you are having problems with your phone, contact Pantech Tech Support. I have spoken with them at length. They are decent people. (Much Much better than they use to be.)

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusmarcus

That is not the US version of the kernel for this device. It is the US kernel for the Panteck Pocket.
The Burst's model number is P9070
The Pocket's model number is P9060
http://www.pantechusa.com/support/pocket
You can try that kernel on the Burst if you want but it may very well brick the device

There is a downloadable kernel for the US P9070. If you look into the source info it clearly indicates it is for the AT&t Burst P9070.
26th February 2012, 03:00 AM |#10  

More
Here's how to get into fastboot:

Install Pantech Drivers, from a command line run:

adb reboot bootloader

Your Burst will reboot and reload into a familiar white screen stating FASTBOOT

Now here's something else I figured out... Not quite sure, maybe APX mode?

With the Burst powered off, if USB Debugging is disabled and you plug it into your computer, some useless drivers are enabled (at least for root purposes):

Network Adapters > Pantech Android MDM WWAN
Portable Devices > F:\
Universal Serial Bus Controllers > Pantech Android MDM RMNET Device
Universal Serial Bus Controllers > Pantech Android USB Composite Device

None of these seem too useful for root...

Now boot the Burst, enable USB Debugging, then power down and plug it into your pc again...

In addition to the above, I now have:

Portable Devices > G:\
Android Phone > Pantech Android ADB Interface Ver1

And with that said, I have a working adb connection from a command line without booting into the device...

Also F:\ & G:\ show up in Windows as removable disks, but they cannot be accessed.

Tried to manually push/run GingerBreak, psneuter, and zergRush, so far nothing will root this device
11th March 2012, 06:47 AM |#11  
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 47

More
Any updates in progress?
The Following User Says Thank You to Spikelangelo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Spikelangelo Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
burst, p9070, pantech burst

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)