FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Windows Phone 8 on WP7 devices?

30 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By PhoneTamer, Member on 21st February 2012, 06:52 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I've looked, but i can't seem to find much on this. Does anyone know if Windows Phone 8 will be able to run on my 1st Gen Samsung Focus when it's released, or will it be too much for the older hardware to handle?

21st February 2012, 07:13 AM |#2  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Central Florida
Thanks Meter: 4,552

More
Its still too early to tell but it doesn't appear it will be updated officially

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=22592891

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium
21st February 2012, 06:59 PM |#3  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 4

More
windows 7..
21st February 2012, 08:21 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
It is way too early to tell.

Microsoft hasn't even announce Tango yet, let alone Apollo (Windows Phone 8).
3rd March 2012, 01:20 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
I understood what I have is that if Tango will be available for first-generation devices and Apollo will not get to see it because multicore devices will run normal and the technology advances and we will remove our devices and buy a new one, asin is the technology
3rd March 2012, 01:38 AM |#6  
Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Palmdale, CA
Thanks Meter: 273

Donate to Me
More
I remember reading somewhere that 1st Gen won't , but 2nd gen will. can't remember the source though. If I find it, I'll post a link.
3rd March 2012, 03:23 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkfngthdragnlrd

I remember reading somewhere that 1st Gen won't , but 2nd gen will. can't remember the source though. If I find it, I'll post a link.

Oh sure, even low-range Tango devices, which is apparently 2nd<->3rd gen devices, will get Apollo, and mid-range 1st gen devices dont? Its been said, all current WP's WILL GET Apollo, only with a few missing features due to hardware limitations. Its like those HTC devices, 1st gens don't have extra features like STK and Camera Mode, whereas 2nd gens have these nifty features.
3rd March 2012, 06:35 AM |#8  
Flag Someplace in CT
Thanks Meter: 155

Donate to Me
More
Let me rub my crystal ball.... No answer

To the OP, you need to wait till there is More info, When they are starting beta testing, then I am sure by then everyone on XDA will know.

I'm starting to hate these posts. Like anyone here can tell the future...

I guess it could be worse, I could have a Android phone waiting for ICS from their carrier...
3rd March 2012, 10:37 AM |#9  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 6

More
According to the following article the answer is NO for all (1st/2nd gen)

Sounds like current and upcoming Windows Phone 7.x devices won't receive an upgrade to Windows Phone 8 "Apollo."
3rd March 2012, 01:43 PM |#10  
Flag Miami
Thanks Meter: 110

More
All of you guys are just making assumptions and going off of rumors that some blogger has pulled out of their ass, lol. I personally feel it will be upgradable, especially considering Microsoft's history with being able to install an OS on significantly older hardware. Yes, we might be missing features, but, hello, the same thing happened on Mango. Afaik I don't have a gyroscope, so guess what, my phone doesn't utilize it. And that's my assumption on what's going to happen with Apollo. All devices will get it, it'll just have the tango-effect in the marketplace and with features.
3rd March 2012, 02:23 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
I am not sure how many IT techs are aware of the new MS approach, but let me tell you this, as from Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Sinofsky

Sinofsky's philosophy on Windows 7 was to not make any promises about the product or even discuss anything about the product until Microsoft was sure that it felt like a quality product. This was a radical departure from Microsoft's typical way of handling in-development versions of Windows, which was to publicly share all plans and details about it early in development cycle. Sinofsky also refrained from labeling versions of Windows "major" or "minor", and to instead just call them releases.

This is what they do with all MS products right now.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)