FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

PSA: Nook Tablet 8GB and 1.4.2

2,346 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,053

By Indirect, Senior Member on 22nd February 2012, 07:50 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Alright, first of all, before you all freak out thinking that we can't root 1.4.2 or even gain access to the 8gb iteration of the nook, Fattire and I have talked and it looks like there is no real changes in uboot meaning that in theory, it can still be broken into with bauwks' uboot.

What does this mean?
Well, until someone creates an image and tests it, we won't know. But don't go assuming that it's unhackable. Also, I'm certainly not going to do it and neither is fattire since we don't want to have to purchase the 8gb nook tablet since it's basically a kindle fire and that's not ok. They should have stuck with the 16gb edition of the nook. Anyway, if you poor saps are willing to just buy the 8gb nook, I say wait until people can verify the image. I however, will not be giving B&N any more money at all.

So, what have we learned?

Don't assume things are unhackable. If they are slightly different, the exact same files won't work. We need to wait for new images for the 8gb version of the nook tablet to be hackable.

1.4.2 is still completely hackable using the sdcard method we have right now to root. It literally will work on every version.

EDIT: DO NOT FLASH 1.4.0 to an 8gb nook tablet. If you do, you're **** out of luck and need to go to B&N. Don't pm me asking for help.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Indirect For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Indirect Ad-Free

22nd February 2012, 10:38 AM |#2  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 6,468

Donate to Me
More
Here were my thoughts, FWIW. It needs a real test tho.

Quote:

fattire since we don't want to have to purchase the 8gb nook tablet since it's basically a kindle fire and that's not ok.

Hah. I didn't want to have to purchase the first version either... and didn't. I'm not a fan of all this locked stuff.
23rd February 2012, 01:56 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 107

More
Why must you call me a poor sap?
24th February 2012, 04:05 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 3,053

Donate to Me
More
EDIT: DO NOT FLASH 1.4.0 to an 8gb nook tablet. If you do, you're **** out of luck and need to go to B&N. Don't pm me asking for help.
24th February 2012, 04:24 PM |#5  
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 335

More
Lightbulb Locking isn't the issue
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattire

I'm not a fan of all this locked stuff.

I think the issue is not the locking, but running a bootloader configured to load the kernel & ramdisk into 1GB of RAM, onto a device with only 512MB of RAM.
24th February 2012, 07:30 PM |#6  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 517

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGibson

I think the issue is not the locking, but running a bootloader configured to load the kernel & ramdisk into 1GB of RAM, onto a device with only 512MB of RAM.

Yes but if the device wasn't locked, and we could get people to pay attention to the fact that 1.4.2 is just as rootable as 1.4.0 and just as easy we wouldn't have people thinking that 1.4.0 is the only way to root ever. Which would stop them from trying to flash acclaim update to their 8GB devices. Well... at least one can hope.
25th February 2012, 01:59 AM |#7  
Flag Fort Lauderdale
Thanks Meter: 14

More
How's this for a slap in the face... I'm 82% sure that the bootloader on my brand spankin' new 16gb is locked differently. I've tried 4 different root methods and can't get the tablet to boot off of an SD card.
25th February 2012, 02:17 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pissinguoff247

How's this for a slap in the face... I'm 82% sure that the bootloader on my brand spankin' new 16gb is locked differently. I've tried 4 different root methods and can't get the tablet to boot off of an SD card.

This is just a thought, but it might work. I had a problem getting my NT to boot off of a used sd card. Even after reformatting you would think it would work, but in my case it didn't. I went out and bought a fresh sd card and it worked. It's worth a try, unless, off course, you have already tried a new card.
25th February 2012, 02:25 AM |#9  
Flag Fort Lauderdale
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singingdrum

This is just a thought, but it might work. I had a problem getting my NT to boot off of a used sd card. Even after reformatting you would think it would work, but in my case it didn't. I went out and bought a fresh sd card and it worked. It's worth a try, unless, off course, you have already tried a new card.

More like 3, a 16gb and two 4gb.
25th February 2012, 07:31 AM |#10  
Flag Highlands Ranch, CO.
Thanks Meter: 173

Donate to Me
More
Have you tried turning the NT off and then turning it on by plugging in the charging cable? With the SD inserted of course.
25th February 2012, 02:11 PM |#11  
Flag Wolfforth, TX
Thanks Meter: 300

Donate to Me
More
So it seems they are making some behind the scenes changes to block things?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)