I've managed to devise a method to inject the CWM recovery image into the LG Update tool during updating with a kdz.
The basic idea is explained in this post. I took it a bit further. During the updating process, you can replace the recovery image inside the updater's memory. Basically, you can use this method on any LG Updating tool. This guide uses KDZ Updater. The method is great for getting the latest firmware for your region and still get it rooted.
This procedure requires some quick actions in order to succeed. Read through it before attempting to flash. I'm not responsible for anything that might happen in the result of using this guide.
Latest CWM recovery image for P970
1. Run KDZ Updater from UPK with Windows Enabler on.
Select your KDZ file.
2. Run CWMInject with Admin privileges. Select KDZU process. Set CWM image to the recovery image file.
3. Run Cheat Engine. Select KDZU process. Change Value Type to Text and write ANDROID! in the search field.
4. Open Task Manager, go to Processes and sort processes by memory.
5. In KDZ Updater, press Launch software update.
6. Keep an eye on the KDZU process in Task Manager, if it starts growing, it means it has started to load the files into memory and you can move to the next step.
7. In Cheat Engine, press First Scan. If it doesn't find anything, you did this too early. It should find 3 addresses. The last one is what you need.
8. Copy the found address to CWMInject and press Write Memory. This needs to be done as quickly as possible from the time of finding the addresses.
9. Finish flashing.
Now your phone has CWM recovery installed. You can get into it with "adb reboot recovery". You need the Android SDK for that.
To root your phone, put this Superuser.zip on your SD card and use CWM to flash it.
You don't necessarily have to use KDZ Update. I tried this method with R&D Test Tool and the regular LG Mobile software update. You just need the right process name for CWMInject and Cheat Engine.