FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Confortable rubber band grip

28 posts
Thanks Meter: 5

By Ret-mc, Junior Member on 24th February 2012, 04:00 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi.
I just wanted to contribute to this forum by recommending an accessory I made myself to my Nook (I imagine it can be adapted for other readers)
It's just a rubber band and some hooks.
As you can see from the images, the hooks are placed in the gaps on top and bottom of the device. The rubber band holds them together and allows you to slide your hand or fingers. In this way you don't have to put pressure with your fingers to hold the reader. It is very confortable and gives you more ways and positions to read.
I definetely recommend it.

Here you see the band and the hooks (I guess you can change the threading of rubber band for other patterns)

These are the pictures (just add http : //)I'm sorry I'm not allowed to post direct links.
Quote:

img687.imageshack.us/img687/6295/img0607ns.jpg
img403.imageshack.us/img403/415/img0609ab.jpg
img593.imageshack.us/img593/5830/img0608gu.jpg
img861.imageshack.us/img861/160/img0611gr.jpg

Hope you find this useful!

PS: One last suggestion. I sandpapered the sharp glossy black edges of my Nook and now is much more confortable to hold.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ret-mc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ret-mc Ad-Free
24th February 2012, 04:11 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 54

More
Just thought I'd post the images/links in here.

It looks pretty good! If I wasn't prone to dropping my Nook, I'd put away my case and make one of these.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Googie2149 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Googie2149 Ad-Free
25th February 2012, 06:59 PM |#3  
Flag Cary
Thanks Meter: 12

More
What a simple and elegant solution! Might as well get one, seeing as I don't even have a case...
__

After review, these look removable (derp) so I would take them off and put them on as I needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to brendan10211 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift brendan10211 Ad-Free
6th March 2012, 10:56 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
awesome idea.. few questions

where did you get the hooks/ what are they called?

same with the bands; they don't seem like the ones I have around my place.

thanks!

PS, you think it would work with this case?

Speck Fitfolio for Nook Simple Touch Reader (can't post a link, but it's on Amazon.com).
7th March 2012, 03:03 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5

More
I made myself the hooks with some wire. You can use a big paper clip for that. I called them hooks but I don't really know if they have a specific name, maybe clamp? (I'm a spanish speaker).
The hooks attach in those gaps on top and bottom of the nook. I don't know if that is "compatible" with the case you want to use.

You can use any elastic band. I happened to have those around me but you can use, for example, underwear elastic bands. I saw the picture of the case you mentioned and there you can see they use the same elastic as mine to keep the case closed.

You should really try this. It's much more confortable to hold the reader now.

PS: It seems there are already some similar solutions for tablets:
gobizkorea.com/blog/ProductView.do?blogId=willbee&id=964790
The Following User Says Thank You to Ret-mc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ret-mc Ad-Free
3rd July 2012, 11:26 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
What a great idea. Thanks for posting up your pics. I'm going to have to try this out.
6th August 2012, 07:25 PM |#7  
Flag Tampa, FL
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by csjesse

awesome idea.. few questions

where did you get the hooks/ what are they called?

same with the bands; they don't seem like the ones I have around my place.

thanks!

PS, you think it would work with this case?

Speck Fitfolio for Nook Simple Touch Reader (can't post a link, but it's on Amazon.com).

Looks like shock cord. Can purchase by the foot at most hardware stores, if you can't find any I've purchased a bit of shock cord from http://www.divegearexpress.com/hardware/tubing.shtml
14th August 2012, 07:33 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 138

More
This reminded me of an expensive grip I'd seen for the iPad. I realized I could make one cheap for my NST:

Which, of course, led to:

This rubber band is a bit tight, but a slightly larger one should work fine. But then I realized I didn't like the synthetic feel of rubber, and went all green:

And then the caffeine wore off and I fell asleep.
7th December 2012, 12:10 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Awsome idea! Thanks for sharing this, will definitely make one myself!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)