FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Updated 2nduboot based on 1.4.2 for 8GB NT models (verified)

16 posts
Thanks Meter: 151

By bauwks, Junior Member on 26th February 2012, 02:34 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I merged the latest B&N 1.4.2 code into my 2nduboot git repository on github: https://github.com/bauwks/Nook-Tablet

It still compiles and works on my 16GB NT and others have have successfully booted the 8GB NT model.

The instructions for building are the same as before:
cd distro/u-boot
PATH=/usr/local/arm-2010q1/bin:$PATH
make nt2ndboot_sd_config
make
./tools/build_nt_2ndboot_img.py -o test.img u-boot.bin
cp test.img /media/boot/flashing_boot.img

For those of you that wish to try it without messy compilers, this zip file (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40331061/bauwks-boot-1.4.2.zip) contains:
  • MLO from 1.4.2
  • u-boot.bin from 1.4.2
  • flashing_boot.img <- the 2nd uboot

Unzip it to the root directory on an SD card, drop in a boot.img you want to test and go. If you see the box then it's booting off the SD card and should then load your boot.img.
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to bauwks For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bauwks Ad-Free

26th February 2012, 02:44 AM |#2  
Great job bauwks!

Someone with an 8 gig model please test this. If it works, I can begin working on a resurrection solution for the NT 8gig.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AdamOutler For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th February 2012, 04:26 AM |#3  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 6,371

Donate to Me
More
FWIW "Cyanoboot" (w/menu and all that) has been tested and works w/512 model as well.. stay tuned.

Incidentally, my tester did seem to indicate that sd card boots need to be tethered. FWIW
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fattire For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fattire Ad-Free
28th February 2012, 09:49 AM |#4  
Flag Omaha
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Exclamation
so going off of what i have read heres what ive gotten so far.
format the sd card to fat32 and make sure the flags for boot and lba are on.
transfer the files to the root directory of the card (im assuming this doesnt mean try to write any of the image files to the card).
put the card in the nook.
press the power button and it should boot from the sd card.
this is everything that i have done and the device wont power on while the card is in the slot but i can take it out and it works fine.
am i doing something wrong?
anyone else have this issue?
EDIT: booted after i changed the partition size to 50 mb, but it didnt change or add anything.
28th February 2012, 12:53 PM |#5  
Flag Wolfforth, TX
Thanks Meter: 300

Donate to Me
More
just for clarification. Even if this allows boot and root from SD card, people should still not be using this new found access to flash roms designed for the 16gb on the 8gb? I say this because, last I read the acclaim update bricked the 8gb tablet.
28th February 2012, 01:40 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
that could be mine, but the tech at b&n says it's hardware problem so I'm not too sure. the flash was going well half way and when I stepped away for a couple minutes and came back to find it bricked.
28th February 2012, 03:19 PM |#7  
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 3,047

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertwertz

just for clarification. Even if this allows boot and root from SD card, people should still not be using this new found access to flash roms designed for the 16gb on the 8gb? I say this because, last I read the acclaim update bricked the 8gb tablet.

Actually, I believe if the kernel is 1.4.2, there should be no problems and CM for the nook tab should have 1.4.2, we would need gonce to come in and verify though.
28th February 2012, 08:10 PM |#8  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 517

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertwertz

As long as the bootloader and kernel are based on the latest kernels and such there shouldn't be a reason that both devices can't run the same roms. The issue with the acclaim update is that it flashes the bootloader/kernel stuff from 1.4.0 which doesn't take into account the variances between both devices. Since the 1.4.0 bootloader doesn't know how to take into account the 512 memory you get a bricked device. If it were possible to create an acclaim update with the newest 1.4.2 bootloader/kernel and a 1.4.0 file system except for a couple of possible driver related changes the 1.4.0 file system would work fine on the device.

However, as long as we stick to the same guidelines that BN will, any rom we release should work just as effectively on both devices. This is because BN has designed the latest BNOS to run on both devices so that they only have to release one update file in the future as opposed to support for two devices with so few differences between them. As long as we take into consideration both devices by using the latest bootloader/kernel sources, it should work on both devices without a hitch.
The Following User Says Thank You to GabrialDestruir For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GabrialDestruir Ad-Free
2nd March 2012, 03:31 PM |#9  
Flag Southeast Louisiana
Thanks Meter: 106

Donate to Me
More
I am sorry to sound so dumb but I came to the party late. (Just bought the 8gb NT yesterday.)
I did create the 50meg partition and loaded the files to it. It boots to the box but I am uncertain of where to go from here. I have tried to find related threads but I have not been successful.
Please be kind.. ;)
2nd March 2012, 04:28 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
So far this is the only thing that has been release for the 8gig. I haven't seen any CWM or 1.4.2 ROMs yet. I know that they are currently working on CM7 for 8gig and an Ubuntu recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raywaldo

I am sorry to sound so dumb but I came to the party late. (Just bought the 8gb NT yesterday.)
I did create the 50meg partition and loaded the files to it. It boots to the box but I am uncertain of where to go from here. I have tried to find related threads but I have not been successful.
Please be kind.. ;)

6th March 2012, 06:26 AM |#11  
Flag Sunnyvale, CA
Thanks Meter: 65

Donate to Me
More
@bauwks: The boot.img you provide does not boot completely on the 8GB tablet; it reboots abruptly after /system is mounted. Upon further investigation the culprit appears to be the files /manifest00 and /manifest01 in the ramdisk in boot.img, which contain (what I would assume to be) checksums or signatures of a large number of files under /system. The /init binary seems to include a B&N-specific "feature": it crashes if any of the files listed in /manifest00 and /manifest01 has a different checksum on disk than the checksum specified in /manifest00 or /manifest01. There're a number of differences between the /manifest00 and /manifest01 included in the boot partition of the 8GB version and those in your boot.img (meaning that the system files themselves are different on the 8GB than on the 16GB), which is what causes /init to crash on the 8GB NT, resulting in a reboot.

The simple solution is to delete everything in /manifest00 and /manifest01, because /init only verifies the checksums of files listed in /manifest00 and /manifest01, and will happily ignore everything else. I zeroed out the two files in your ramdisk, rebuilt boot.img and can boot perfectly into the stock software.

This mechanism is really evil on the part of B&N. To modify an Android system file (I discovered this when trying to replace /system/framework/framework.jar), for instance to apply a skin or enable copy & paste, you would need to modify /manifest00 or /manifest01. To modify /manifest00 or /manifest01, you would then need to flash a new boot partition. But to flash a new boot partition, you would need to circumvent the locked bootloader (which you have done - hats off to that). This is the most locked-down Android device I've ever played with.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jichuan89 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jichuan89 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)