[P6200][Heimdall][April.5.2012] Firmware packages for stock ROMs

1,121 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,000

By aorth, Senior Member on 26th February 2012, 10:11 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Heimdall firmware packages for stock GT-P6200 firmwares

Heimdall 1.3 included support for "Heimdall Firmware Packages," an XML-driven way to define, create, and distribute firmwares. This is a powerful tool for ROM developers, but I haven't seen it being used yet. In order to encourage and support the use of these new firmware packages, I've packaged up a few stock Samsung firmwares for use with Heimdall.

For those that don't know, Heimdall is an open-source, cross-platform tool written by Benjamin Dobell which can flash complete ROMs, kernels, modems, etc to Samsung Galaxy-series devices. It's preferable over Odin as its source code is open and it is therefore undergoing public development, and we can review the code. In comparison, Odin is a closed-source, Windows-only, internal Samsung utility, and what we know very little about it.

Downloads

These are stock ROMs, just as you'd find on Samfirmware or wherever else. I have not modified them other than unpacking and repacking for flashing with Heimdall (meaning they are odexed). If the upstream firmware includes bootloaders, I've included them*. I'll do my best to indicate additional information next to each ROM.

Honeycomb:
  • XXKL7 (3.2)
    • Download: BayFiles
    • md5sum: 53ecbda9dc4f65ff7de6b924d834cfe8
    • Build date: Fri Dec 16 11:35:42 KST 2011
  • DXKL3 (3.2)
    • md5sum: 6601d65f4c3c91f8ea8b096b561e5dc7
    • Build date: Fri Dec 23 11:23:25 KST 2011
  • DXLC1 (3.2)
    • md5sum: 0eefb3a48c6d9550cda6a32ba4e0d99f
    • Build date: Mon Mar 5 09:37:25 KST 2012
*Note: Even though I've included bootloaders you'll be able to remove them in Heimdall's GUI right before flashing, if you so please.

Credits...

Thanks to Benjamin Dobell for writing Heimdall. Thanks to [Ramad] for the idea of listing unadulterated stock ROMs. Thanks to Supercurio for being a role model of openness and transparency. We need more pro-community devs.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to aorth For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift aorth Ad-Free
26th February 2012, 10:21 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Nairobi, Kenya

More
Flashing instructions
Flashing instructions

Make sure you've installed Heimdall version 1.3 or higher (1.3.2 seems to have a bug, though, steer clear of that one for now). Do not unzip the firmware package, we open it up directly in the heimdall frontend graphical user interface! This procedure will wipe your device and you will lose all your installed applications. Make a backup of your applications/data with Titanium Backup or whatever before trying!

Step 1: Open Heimdall's frontend (heimdall-frontend on Linux)

Step 2: Load the downloaded tar.gz into Heimdall

Step 3: Press "Load / Customize"

Step 4: Boot your tablet into "Download mode" (Volume Down + Power), and connect it to your computer

Step 5 (optional): Customize the installation before flashing by removing or adding different files (such as pre-rooted kernels or different modems)

Step 6: Press "Start"

Your tablet will begin to flash and then reboot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aorth For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift aorth Ad-Free
26th February 2012, 04:15 PM |#3  
Flag In your bank, sharding your purplz
Thanks Meter: 65

More
Thanks for this. However, is this for the GT-P6200 or the GT-P6210?
26th February 2012, 04:29 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Nairobi, Kenya

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by acolwill

Thanks for this. However, is this for the GT-P6200 or the GT-P6210?

That's for you to decide.

Notice, all I've done is take GT-P6200 ROMs and package them as .tar.gz Heimdall packages and uploaded them. That's literally all I've done. I'm not rolling custom ROMs here! These are 6200 stock ROMs. If they're compatible with the 6210 is nothing I've done on purpose.
26th February 2012, 04:31 PM |#5  

More
Firmware for the 6210 is different to the 6200.... this is why I asked.
26th February 2012, 04:41 PM |#6  
Flag Phoenix, AZ
Thanks Meter: 67

More
This is great! I've used Heimdall to restore my wife's sidekick 4g a few times with ease.

Could you give us a little info about what you do to the stock "ROMs" to load them up into this tool?

Sent from my GT-P6210 using xda premium
26th February 2012, 05:52 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Nairobi, Kenya

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by acolwill

Firmware for the 6210 is different to the 6200.... this is why I asked.

I did write "P6200" in the thread title.
26th February 2012, 05:59 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Nairobi, Kenya

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmmxracer

This is great! I've used Heimdall to restore my wife's sidekick 4g a few times with ease.

Could you give us a little info about what you do to the stock "ROMs" to load them up into this tool?

Sent from my GT-P6210 using xda premium

Actually, Heimdall is ridiculously easy. You should really just give it a try. The stock firmwares unzip into a series of files which correspond to the partitions on the device. See here, the contents of the DXKL3 firmware:
Code:
[[email protected]: ~/Downloads/DXKL3]$ ls
boot.bin  cache.img  factoryfs.img  hidden.img  modem.bin  param.lfs  recovery.img  Sbl.bin  zImage
In Heimdall you just add new files and select which partition they need to be flashed to. It's really simple. Heimdall is way better then Odin. Serious.
26th February 2012, 06:11 PM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aorth

I did write "P6200" in the thread title.

Oh ****, I completely missed that lol my apologies
The Following User Says Thank You to acolwill For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift acolwill Ad-Free
28th February 2012, 10:53 PM |#10  
Flag Novorossiysk
Thanks Meter: 13

More
HI! Is it safe to flash t-869 (t-mobile) with p6200 firmware??
1st March 2012, 02:22 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Nairobi, Kenya

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.chursin

HI! Is it safe to flash t-869 (t-mobile) with p6200 firmware??

I don't think so... but I only say that because I don't want you to brick your device! Have you ever flashed a ROM on your T-869 device before?
The Following User Says Thank You to aorth For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift aorth Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
heimdall, official, samsung, stock

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)