FORUMS

[APP][2.0+] MiXplorer v6.x Released (fully-featured file manager)

5,658 posts
Thanks Meter: 30,047
 
By HootanParsa, Recognized Developer on 17th May 2011, 04:12 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
14th February 2020, 11:43 AM |#32161  
Ultramanoid's Avatar
Senior Member
日本
Thanks Meter: 4,364
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertSchum

Your suggestion could be right, I know that mix cannot handle torrents files as torrent downloader, I wrote exactly this in my previous post.
Nevertheless as a filemanager, the magnet file itself is a filetype and the mix downloader lets the user to download the file or to "copy" it to a choosen path on the device. Magnet filetype is registered in the Copy activity and I guess this is the reason...I do not think the developer forgot to unregister this file type because he planned first to add a torrent downloader feature and then he delayed it or changed his mind...

I see your point. ( I do believe a torrent downloader was planned at some point years ago, and it's been asked several times. )

There should be a way to identify links for purposes like copying them, without 'lying' about being an actual torrent downloader, because then the case reported above for instance can happen. I usually download torrents through terminal commands ( aria2, transmission... ), and also see this happening, where MiX is wrongly offered as a choice for them in Android, since I have no Android GUI application for torrent files.
 
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramanoid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ultramanoid Ad-Free
14th February 2020, 12:07 PM |#32162  
Member
Thanks Meter: 59
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramanoid

I see your point. ( I do believe a torrent downloader was planned at some point years ago, and it's been asked several times. )

There should be a way to identify links for purposes like copying them, without 'lying' about being an actual torrent downloader, because then the case reported above for instance can happen. I usually download torrents through terminal commands ( aria2, transmission... ), and also see this happening, where MiX is wrongly offered as a choice for them in Android, since I have no Android GUI application for torrent files.

See you this. The magnet file is recognized to copy it by mix downloader. The chooser show also utorrent app for download the magnet with the utorrent. So my guess is right and no need to remove the magnet filetype from mix. You can choose only to download the file with mix and later choose to open with a torrent client. In any case this is a normal behaviour. No issue from my point of view...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200214-115938_Android System.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	4950253  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robertSchum For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift robertSchum Ad-Free
14th February 2020, 02:58 PM |#32163  
Ultramanoid's Avatar
Senior Member
日本
Thanks Meter: 4,364
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertSchum

No issue from my point of view...

I understand perfectly how Android works, but your explanation may be useful for others. And, again, I understand your point, but you ignore the most usual case. ( That I don't personally care about, nor does it affect me, again, I handle torrents in terminal. )

Consider this : 99% of users tapping a magnet link or a torrent file, do so to start a download, not to copy or edit it ( code editor is also offered... ). MiX does not do that, it has no torrent capabilities. From their point of view, this is a problem. Useless at best, confusing at worst. Not really important, but that's the issue.
 
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ultramanoid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ultramanoid Ad-Free
14th February 2020, 03:44 PM |#32164  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 37
 
More
How do I copy a file to root location? I got "no file copied"
Any special setting needed?
Btw, my device is rooted.
Thks.
14th February 2020, 03:55 PM |#32165  
Nimueh's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,030
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanh2018

How do I copy a file to root location? I got "no file copied"
Any special setting needed?
Btw, my device is rooted.
Thks.

Tick the box "Allow root" in Settings.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nimueh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nimueh Ad-Free
14th February 2020, 04:02 PM |#32166  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 37
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimueh

Tick the box "Allow root" in Settings.

So simple but I didn't find out sooner.
Thank you so much.
The Following User Says Thank You to chanh2018 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chanh2018 Ad-Free
14th February 2020, 04:03 PM |#32167  
Member
Thanks Meter: 59
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramanoid

I understand perfectly how Android works, but your explanation may be useful for others. And, again, I understand your point, but you ignore the most usual case. ( That I don't personally care about, nor does it affect me, again, I handle torrents in terminal. )

Consider this : 99% of users tapping a magnet link or a torrent file, do so to start a download, not to copy or edit it ( code editor is also offered... ). MiX does not do that, it has no torrent capabilities. From their point of view, this is a problem. Useless at best, confusing at worst. Not really important, but that's the issue.

I think there is a misunderstanding. I thought the process of download as "copy to" was referred and intended by you to the simple file.torrent (a small text file with torrent extension) but you are referring to the whole file downloaded via torrent. So we are speaking about different things.
If you are expecting to download the file via the torrent protocol then this is an issue since mix does not handle it, but if you expect to download the simple text file with extension .torrent to use with a torrent client (as I intended) then this is not an issue but a feature.
I made some tests just now and was surprised to discover this. Most likely the torrent downloader feature is a working in progress in mix. See picture. This is something I never seen in mix.
Only, if you choose to copy it the toast say it is not supported. So the misunderstanding about the Copy to action is the reason of the long discussion about this topic.

Edit: this is a .torrent file stored on my device I clicked and opened in mix via the copy to activity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200214-154639_MiXplorer.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	4950383  
14th February 2020, 04:18 PM |#32168  
Ultramanoid's Avatar
Senior Member
日本
Thanks Meter: 4,364
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertSchum

I think there is a misunderstanding... Most likely the torrent downloader feature is a working in progress in mix...

Please re-check my posts, I've already answered, including mentioning the years-old and never implemented intention of adding torrent capabilities.

But again, this is not about me, I could not care less ! It's about most, if not all users, expecting to start a torrent download and getting an error, toast, copy action, etc.
 
14th February 2020, 04:37 PM |#32169  
Member
Thanks Meter: 59
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramanoid

Please re-check my posts, I've already answered, including mentioning the years-old and never implemented intention of adding torrent capabilities.

But again, this is not about me, I could not care less ! It's about most, if not all users, expecting to start a torrent download and getting an error, toast, copy action, etc.

In fact I did not expect to start a torrent download but simply to download the small .torrent file to my device (the text file). And mix "does not fails" to download it from the web via the Copy to activity. You can try it by yourself. It fails instead if you want to open a .torrent file stored on device for using as peer to peer download via torrent protocol. This feature in mix seems broken or not fully implemented. Thanks for the reply
The Following User Says Thank You to robertSchum For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift robertSchum Ad-Free
14th February 2020, 05:29 PM |#32170  
Ultramanoid's Avatar
Senior Member
日本
Thanks Meter: 4,364
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertSchum

...

There must be a misunderstanding indeed, but I can't explain for a 4th time. Or can I.

( ¯―¯٥ ) ( *_* ) ( ^_^; ) ( ゜-゜ )

MiX's torrent capabilities have been 'a work in progress' for several years. At the very least 4 years, probably longer. Can't be bothered to track down the exact time, we've been here for many years.

Here's the issue :

# 1 : MiX behaves as if it was a torrent client, but it is not.

# 2 : So it should not hijack magnet links, or be shown as an option for .torrent files.

It's that simple. ( ^_^; )

They could be handled by MiX, respectively, as normal links and text files. As a file manager does, and no feature of MiX would be lost that way.

Users will get confused or frustrated otherwise, as the one whose report started the conversation.

( Bonus : I'm not complaining or requesting the change, just saying it would make more sense, me-myself-I do not care, most of my torrents go through aria2c in terminal, no UI or Android intent -- no need to convince me of anything. )
 
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ultramanoid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ultramanoid Ad-Free
14th February 2020, 08:26 PM |#32171  
marciozomb13's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Rio de Janeiro
Thanks Meter: 1,182
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramanoid

There must be a misunderstanding indeed, but I can't explain for a 4th time. Or can I.

( ¯―¯٥ )( *_* )( ^_^; )( ゜-゜ )

MiX's torrent capabilities have been 'a work in progress' for several years. At the very least 4 years, probably longer. Can't be bothered to track down the exact time, we've been here for many years.

Here's the issue :

# 1 : MiX behaves as if it was a torrent client, but it is not.

# 2 : So it should not hijack magnet links, or be shown as an option for .torrent files.

It's that simple.( ^_^; )

They could be handled by MiX, respectively, as normal links and text files. As a file manager does, and no feature of MiX would be lost that way.

Users will get confused or frustrated otherwise, as the one whose report started the conversation.

( Bonus : I'm not complaining or requesting the change, just saying it would make more sense, me-myself-I do not care, most of my torrents go through aria2c in terminal, no UI or Android intent -- no need to convince me of anything. )

I think we understand the point, HP will have enough info.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
chm, cloud, encfs, epub, mix

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes