7th March 2012, 05:12 PM |#11  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag West Chester
Thanks Meter: 3,188

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhohitr

I doubt it will make your browser go faster. Try xscope browser see if it's faster. If it is then nothing to do with DNS, but something is funky with your stock browser/phone.

It won't make the connection faster, but it will likely speed up DNS lookups (and reliability) which can make things seem faster.
7th March 2012, 07:44 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 265

Donate to Me
More
Editing /system/etc/ppp/ip-up didn't work for me either. I verified that the file saved properly, but on reboot or airplane mode toggle, everything returned to default. I even added a bogus setprop in ip-up as a test. After cycling airplane mode, running getprop didn't show my bogus entry. It's almost as if /system/etc/ppp/ip-up isn't being called at all.

[edit: Once I dropped to 1X service (my signal sucks at work), my bogus setprop entry showed up. I had already pulled out my custom DNS entries from while I was testing, but I thought this was rather interesting. So it appears that /system/etc/ppp/ip-up is only called when dropping to 1X service. I could be entirely wrong, though.]
7th March 2012, 10:30 PM |#13  
Flag West Long Branch, NJ
Thanks Meter: 135

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnuts

It won't make the connection faster, but it will likely speed up DNS lookups (and reliability) which can make things seem faster.

Isn't this type of change asking for trouble? Assuming the two ip addresses shown are verizon's, what happens when they change? What happens when verizon reorgs their networks? Isn't it safest to take all of the DHCP settings verizon pushes to you?

My apologies if I missed the obvious here but I always use the DNS servers my WAN provider assigns and change them when they instruct me to. And yes, it has actually happened.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA
7th March 2012, 11:04 PM |#14  
Flag Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 3,095

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly1812

Isn't this type of change asking for trouble? Assuming the two ip addresses shown are verizon's, what happens when they change? What happens when verizon reorgs their networks? Isn't it safest to take all of the DHCP settings verizon pushes to you?

My apologies if I missed the obvious here but I always use the DNS servers my WAN provider assigns and change them when they instruct me to. And yes, it has actually happened.

It sounds like you may be confused about what DNS does. It is the system that converts a name, like www.google.com, to an IP address that your computer can actually use. Google's IP addresses aren't different for Verizon than they are for Sprint or AT&T or Comcast or anyone else. It's the same with anyone else. DNS is a universal system that returns the same output for the same input regardless of what server you are using. The problem is that a lot of ISP run DNS servers are poorly configured, poorly maintained pieces of trash. That's why public servers like OpenDNS or Google DNS exist. They are far more reliable, and often far quicker than your ISP DNS server. I haven't used my ISP's DNS servers in a decade. Prior to OpenDNS, I ran my own DNS server.
7th March 2012, 11:49 PM |#15  
Flag West Chester

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly1812

The only thing you'll loose is the backup VZW DNS server. The only two things that I've found that you need VZWs DNS info for are OTA updates and MMS as they use internal hostname info that Verizon doesn't share. That is why you can't change both of them.

As far as your home ISP and them asking you to change DNS servers, several people have "lost" there internet connection at home because the ISP DNS servers are junk, and almost no one switches them from the default ever. This was a huge issue for Comcast a few years ago, and I know that other ISPs have had issues with reliability as well as updating DNS info so that it points to the correct location. OpenDNS and Google tend to update their info faster, and also offer faster lookups for names than ISP DNS servers, despite the fact that you have to go out of network to contact them.
8th March 2012, 01:33 AM |#16  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 45

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnuts

Make sure that /system is mounted as read-write and that you saved the file. Otherwise, it will revert (or not save at all). To check to see if it worked, I would navigate to http://myresolver.info and it will tell you the DNS address you used. Then, you may just need to look at the hostname for the DNS ip to figure out if it worked as most places use anycast now to route you to the closest host.

Ok so I did the correct procedure to change the DNS, it maintained the change through reboots, but when I go to the website you mentioned with 4g connection, it didn't show the opendns addresses I added to the IP-up file.

Your IP address
2600:1004:b000:6d7:0:2:6cc7:8901 (?)
The source IP address of your DNS recursive resolver
66.174.95.212 (?)
njbrsdns2.myvzw.com
8th March 2012, 01:41 AM |#17  
Flag West Chester

Donate to Me
More
I'll have to look at it as it may setup the 4G connection differently. I do know that it worked quite well for me on the Fascinate and on my Charge for 3G.
8th March 2012, 05:09 PM |#18  
Flag Westerville
Thanks Meter: 1

More
You have a long ipv6 name....

10th March 2012, 01:36 PM |#19  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowchasr

You have a long ipv6 name....

Is it here when one say "that's what she said!"? lol

Eclipse 1.4 ROM
V6 Supercharged!
Kicking ass!
Imoseyon
Tegrak Overclock
17th March 2012, 04:35 PM |#20  
OP Senior Member

More
see the original post!
19th March 2012, 05:58 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 265

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurogg84

see the original post!

The problem with an init.d script is that the settings will be overwritten whenever you change networks. Any change between 3G, 4G, and WiFi triggers a DNS reset.

I resigned to just using SetDNS to change my DNS settings automatically.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
question

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)