Remove All Ads from XDA

[CM9 beta] Tips & Customization Discussion

312 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,091

By wtogami, Retired Recognized Developer on 8th March 2012, 04:34 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Tips & Customization Discussion Thread
CM9 beta1: Android 4.0.4 for Samsung Epic 4G

This thread is ONLY to discuss issues related to best practices and tips of configuration options, helpful add-ons, utilities and apps on CM9 for Epic 4G. The best tips are regularly summarized in the official Epic CM9 Customization Guide. Please read the guide before posting to this thread.

CM9 Discussion Threads
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wtogami For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wtogami Ad-Free

8th March 2012, 05:44 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 194

Donate to Me
More
I highly recommend doing the battery optimization first before customizing the settings.

First thing you want to do is change the default notification from Silent to something else so you hear when you have emails, texts, etc.

There is a lot of stuff in the optimization guide to help you get things started and set-up. I like going into the Messaging app and have it not only divide texts into 160 character blocks but also number them so people know the reading order as they aren't always sent and received contiguously.

I think that is a good start for now!
The Following User Says Thank You to dyehya For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dyehya Ad-Free
8th March 2012, 03:27 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 72

More
Being a CM9 user since day 1 I figured out that you will NEVER want to use an app form the market which allows you to change the frequencies of your phone. I found out that it drains battery EVEN MORE then when using the built in one under Performance.

And I highly recommend that you get Juice Defender. Ultimate is best because it allows you to choose what apps you want to have data turned on for.

And if you monkey around with Voodoo control I'm sure you'll find something to your likes.

Screen Filter from the market is also a great tool. If you think the lowest brightness is to much and want it darker then use that tool.

I recently learned that custom kernels are not recommended.
8th March 2012, 08:02 PM |#4  
Flag Illinois
Thanks Meter: 511

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by prochargedls2

Being a CM9 user since day 1 I figured out that you will NEVER want to use an app form the market which allows you to change the frequencies of your phone. I found out that it drains battery EVEN MORE then when using the built in one under Performance.
And I highly recommend that you get Juice Defender. Ultimate is best because it allows you to choose what apps you want to have data turned on for.

And if you monkey around with Voodoo control I'm sure you'll find something to your likes.

Screen Filter from the market is also a great tool. If you think the lowest brightness is to much and want it darker then use that tool.

I recently learned that custom kernels are not recommended.

I'd like to know how this is possible. I mean, if you're undervolting (throwing less power to run a specific speed) I would like to know how this actually drains battery quicker. It simply goes against logic.

Not saying I don't believe you, but I would like it explained why this is true.
11th March 2012, 04:57 AM |#5  
OP Retired Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
CWM flashable Sprint Visual Voicemail
http://epiccm.blogspot.com/2012/03/c...ion-guide.html
Sprint Visual Voicemail now works on CM9, meaning we now have three options for visual voicemail on Epic! Read the Customization Guide for CWM5 flashable .zip and setup instructions if you want to use it. Be aware that there are currently glitches.
11th March 2012, 05:06 AM |#6  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Valhalla
Thanks Meter: 5,517

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtogami

http://epiccm.blogspot.com/2012/03/c...ion-guide.html
Sprint Visual Voicemail now works on CM9, meaning we now have three options for visual voicemail on Epic! Read the Customization Guide for CWM5 flashable .zip and setup instructions if you want to use it. Be aware that there are currently glitches.

I can't get it to work at all. It installs and looks like its all there but I've left 4 voice messages for myself in the past hour and nothing.

Sent from my MTD Epic 4G SGS using Tapatalk
11th March 2012, 05:17 AM |#7  
OP Retired Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfunkycold

I can't get it to work at all. It installs and looks like its all there but I've left 4 voice messages for myself in the past hour and nothing.

Did you run the app once? It provisions the first time you run it, and tells you with Toast messages.
11th March 2012, 05:35 AM |#8  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Valhalla
Thanks Meter: 5,517

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Did you run the app once? It provisions the first time you run it, and tells you with Toast messages.

Yes it did all of that as with any tw rom when you do fresh flash and set up phone. I even just for nostalgic reasons played the two set up messages. But I then used my wife's phone and called myself and left several voice messages but nothing comes through the app. I read everywhere people having success with this and I'm struggling. I even tried sending the activate@vvm.sprint.com message and it looks like it sent but nothing happens.

Edit: I am getting the text messages alerting me that o have a VM but the app is not downloading the messages. I still have to dial #1 on dialer to dial my voice mail.

Sent from my MTD Epic 4G SGS using Tapatalk
11th March 2012, 09:29 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Quote:

I get a 9016 message with provisioning successful but if there was a toast message it was so quick I missed it but I don't think there was one. Does this mean that I need to delete data for the app and try again or does this mean it provisioned but like edfunkycold I too get the text messages about new VM but the app doesn't download them. In fact the messages aren't on sprints VM system like the app told it to delete the message as if it had downloaded, even though there is no message in the app to listen to.
11th March 2012, 10:10 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 72

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayzooos

I'd like to know how this is possible. I mean, if you're undervolting (throwing less power to run a specific speed) I would like to know how this actually drains battery quicker. It simply goes against logic.

Not saying I don't believe you, but I would like it explained why this is true.

Well its mainly for those who leave it in their pocket for long periods of time. Because if you have apps like twitter, facebook, or anything like that they run in the background and the cpu will require more power to run them all. Now if you used an app from the market to control them it would drain battery because it requires battery to run apps in the background and that app you supposedly have from the market will run in the background, thus causing battery to drain even if you're under volting it.

If that wasn't very clear tell me.

Sent from my Epic with a lil' ice cream on it
13th March 2012, 03:26 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneRyno

I get a 9016 message with provisioning successful but if there was a toast message it was so quick I missed it but I don't think there was one. Does this mean that I need to delete data for the app and try again or does this mean it provisioned but like edfunkycold I too get the text messages about new VM but the app doesn't download them. In fact the messages aren't on sprints VM system like the app told it to delete the message as if it had downloaded, even though there is no message in the app to listen to.

Same problem here, except I dont think that mine are getting deleted, cuz I can still call my VM and listen to them. But for the life of me I can not get the VVM to work, I have tried absolutely everything I can think of. Please if anyone can figure out what the deal here is, it would be greatly appreciated. The loss of VVM was pretty much the only thing I didn't like about This CM9 for Epic, since I flashed the alpha 1.

Edit: Just an update: when I use Sprint VVM to compose a message to myself, to test send and receive functions, It sends the VM to me just fine. I get the 9016 text and its on my VM but It still does not show up in the Sprint VVM app.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)