Remove All Ads from XDA

[CM9 beta] Battery Optimization Discussion

312 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,091

By wtogami, Retired Recognized Developer on 8th March 2012, 04:35 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Battery Optimization Discussion Thread
CM9 beta: Android 4.0.3 for Samsung Epic 4G

This thread is ONLY to discuss issues related to power management and battery life on CM9 on the Epic 4G. Battery tips are regularly summarized in the official Battery Optimization Guide. Please read the guide before posting to this thread.

CM9 Discussion Threads
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wtogami For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wtogami Ad-Free

8th March 2012, 05:24 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
its good practice to save battery to turn refresh interval for apps that access the web for updates such as social media, new readers, etc to manual to help save battery life as most of these apps refresh on a pretty regular interval and defiantly eat up alot of battery
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Giftedx29 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Giftedx29 Ad-Free
8th March 2012, 05:32 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 194

Donate to Me
More
If you notice especially high battery drain and recently used your GPS or Camera they can occasionally stay on with no visible signs. Also please remember the battery stats is HIGHLY inaccurate. A Phone reboot usually fixes this.

Never keep apps like Skype, IRC, etc that stay running and keep your CPU on they drain battery especially fast!

One big battery saver is to not wake your phone to just check the time. Let the CPU stay in deep-sleep as long as possible to preserve power until you actually need your phone for something.

One MAJOR thing to save power is DO NOT MESS WITH CPU SETTINGS!
Do not use 3rd party apps like Voltage Control or SetCPU or even the built in Performance settings as modifying the settings will increase the minimum clock to 200MHz which will greatly reduce battery life than NOT messing with them. This is a known issue and will be addressed in a future release!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dyehya For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dyehya Ad-Free
8th March 2012, 07:51 AM |#4  
Flag Pennsylvania
Thanks Meter: 65

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyehya

One MAJOR thing to save power is DO NOT MESS WITH CPU SETTINGS!
Do not use 3rd party apps like Voltage Control or SetCPU or even the built in Performance settings as modifying the settings will increase the minimum clock to 200MHz which will greatly reduce battery life than NOT messing with them. This is a known issue and will be addressed in a future release!

If you DO decide to run a custom kernel, (NOT, I repeat NOT recommended or supported by CM9 devs) I'd suggest Control Freak. I ended up with a 200mhz min, and with that app managed to get deep sleep and 100mhz back. WITH uv and some minor oc. My battery life is great.
Head on over to the app thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1072403

Another thing that can save battery, Screen Filter from the Market (Play Store now I guess) can dim our screens lower than the lowest stock increment. Useful for dark environments. (Movies, night outside etc.)

This should be obvious, and has been stated already, but it bears repeating: TURN OFF DATA AND ALL OTHER MODEMS if you're not using them.

Thanks to all the devs and everyone who contributes.
The Following User Says Thank You to tabormeister For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tabormeister Ad-Free
8th March 2012, 02:30 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 72

More
YES!!! It seems a little bit more snappy or is it just me?

And thanks for the advice not to run custom kernels...
8th March 2012, 02:35 PM |#6  
Flag Washington DC
Thanks Meter: 256

More
Without a doubt, the biggest battery saver for me, is to turn off data until I want to use it.

I simply cannot believe the difference. Makes me think I'm gonna have to go out and get Juice Defender, and let it turn off data when I put the phone to sleep, it is just that dramatic.

I can call text, and play hours of games, and still have the battery have more juice remaining than it did over the same timeframe with just a call or two for usage with the data on.
The Following User Says Thank You to DCRocks For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DCRocks Ad-Free
8th March 2012, 02:46 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabormeister

Another thing that can save battery, Screen Filter from the Market (Play Store now I guess) can dim our screens lower than the lowest stock increment. Useful for dark environments. (Movies, night outside etc.)

Rather than installing an additional app to control brightness, why not just tweak the settings yourself?

System Settings / Display / Automatic Backlight

Check "Use custom" and set a lower Screen dim level. Use "Edit other levels..." to adjust the steps for auto brightness if you use that feature.

This is a fantastic feature if you use the phone in low light conditions.
8th March 2012, 04:42 PM |#8  
Flag Aurora, CO
Thanks Meter: 176

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRocks

Without a doubt, the biggest battery saver for me, is to turn off data until I want to use it.

I simply cannot believe the difference. Makes me think I'm gonna have to go out and get Juice Defender, and let it turn off data when I put the phone to sleep, it is just that dramatic.

I can call text, and play hours of games, and still have the battery have more juice remaining than it did over the same timeframe with just a call or two for usage with the data on.

This first and foremost for me.

I took my phone to a basketball game the other night and turned data off. From when I left work to when I got home was about 7 hours, and I didn't plug in for another few hours later and still had some juice. Compare this to last night when I went to class and had my phone in my pocket with 4g on for a few hours, I arrived home and my phone died 15 minutes later. Total time elapsed, 3 hours 46 minutes.
Particularly 4G data is offensive in it's battery consumption.

I have also found that putting the display on Auto Brightness saps my battery. I just adjust it whenever I need to, keeping it on the lowest setting most of the day since I'm inside a lot.
8th March 2012, 05:19 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
The mmc_delayed_work and deleted_wake_locks are driving me crazy. I know they've been reported as "false blames," but something, whether MMC or otherwise, definitely causes seemingly unnecessary wake locks, and there is a very clear pattern between high report percentage and battery drain.

I don't mean to take away from the optimizations suggested; they're definitely useful if you're looking to stretch the battery life out longer than typical stock capability. But for many of us, something wakes the phone a little too often, and it's very difficult to debug without disabling every single application and testing one at a time.

I guess the point is, has anyone else found a better way to figure out these wake locks?
The Following User Says Thank You to spyderusa11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift spyderusa11 Ad-Free
8th March 2012, 05:52 PM |#10  
Moderator Liaison / RC-RT Committee / Spider-Mod
Flag Right behind you!
Thanks Meter: 45,749

Donate to Me
More
Why is awake time in Android OS always more than double the display on time? That sounds like serious wake locks. What can I do to reduce that?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium
8th March 2012, 05:58 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Don't overlook the AudioOut_1 wakelock. Its my number one offender at the moment.

Minimize it by turning off screen selection sounds... System Settings / Sound / Touch sounds.

We need to figure out what the problem is with that.

On the good side, my mmc and deleted wake locks are negligible so far on beta.
The Following User Says Thank You to Liner81 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Liner81 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)