FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Chrome browser - custom search engine possible?

33 posts
Thanks Meter: 16

By omohat, Member on 13th March 2012, 09:07 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
At the moment when I do a search in Chrome, because I am based in Qatar, it defaults to the Google Qatar site even though I am an english speaker. Is it possible to edit the search engine configuration anywhere to have it default to google.co.uk or google.com?

13th March 2012, 09:40 PM |#2  
Flag Upstate NY
Thanks Meter: 341

More
It may be possible by modifying the something in the settings files. I was poking around in there the other day looking to see if I could change the user agent and I think I saw something about default county/search but I'm not for sure.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
14th March 2012, 06:38 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
Any chance you can tell me where to find the setting file? Is it in the apk or somewhere else?
15th March 2012, 10:56 AM |#4  
OP Member

More
Bump. Anyone else help me with finding the settings file?
15th March 2012, 11:24 AM |#5  
OP Member

More
Lightbulb Found it myself!
In case any one is wondering you can, force Chrome to always use a certain Google site (rather than the one for the region you are currently residing in) by editing the /data/data/com.android.chrome/app_chrome/Local State file

You need to change the "last known google URL" and "last prompted google URL" to whichever one you prefer.

Obviously you're going to need root access to be able to do this.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to omohat For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift omohat Ad-Free
15th March 2012, 03:42 PM |#6  
Oporto
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by omohat

In case any one is wondering you can, force Chrome to always use a certain Google site (rather than the one for the region you are currently residing in) by editing the /data/data/com.android.chrome/app_chrome/Local State file

You need to change the "last known google URL" and "last prompted google URL" to whichever one you prefer.

Could you please explaind this to a noob language??
16th March 2012, 03:54 PM |#7  
OP Member

More
Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1ck82

Could you please explaind this to a noob language??

Sure thing. In Chrome, when you do a search from the address bar (on both desktop and mobile) it defaults to using the country specific google site for whichever country you're accessing the net from. In my case I live in Qatar, but as an english speaker I don't want to use google.com.qa (in arabic). You can change this behaviour by editing a file called "Local State" (on both desktop and mobile). The process for doing this on your mobile is:

1 - Root your phone

2 - Using a file explorer browse to the directory "/data/data/com.android.chrome/app_chrome/"

3 - Using a text editor, edit the file "Local State" in this directory by changing the strings "last known google URL" and "last prompted google URL". In my case I edited them ass follows:

{ "last known google url": "http://www.google.com.qa/"
"last prompted google url": "http://www.google.com.qa" }

to:
{ "last known google url": "http://www.google.co.uk/"
"last prompted google url": "http://www.google.co.uk" }

4 - Restart Chrome and now when you do a search from the address bar, it will use the Google site you specified.

Hope that helps.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to omohat For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift omohat Ad-Free
27th May 2012, 04:09 PM |#8  
Flag Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Noob way
There is a Noob way too.

Translate your preferred language on Google Translate to the language defaulted in Chrome due to your location so you can match it later on. In my case I have translated English into Traditional Chinese which is "英文".

Start Chrome Android
Login with your Google account (should give you the option first time)
Search for "test" or something else. You get your default location language (in my case Traditional Chinese) and search results for "test".

On the page with search results for "test" scroll all the way down to the bottom. You will see your google user name in black.

Just below there are 3 links in blue. Click on the most left, this is "settings".

In settings you will see radio buttons and the foreign language text.
Scroll down until there is no more radio buttons but drop down scroll lists. These are for "language" settings.

The first drop down list is for "Language in Google Products". Scroll down till you find your translation, in my case "英文".

Do the same for the second scroll down list.

Scroll to the complete bottom and click the blue button, this is "Save". You are all set. Google should now show everything in your preferred language, without rooting your phone.

Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stijn1976 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift stijn1976 Ad-Free
28th June 2012, 03:26 PM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by omohat

Thanks - I tried updating /data/data/com.android.chrome/app_chrome/Default/Preferences file - but it didn't have any affect .... I will be trying this instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by stijn1976

There is a Noob way too.

Translate your preferred language on Google Translate to the language defaulted in Chrome due to your location so you can match it later on. In my case I have translated English into Traditional Chinese which is "英文".

Start Chrome Android
Login with your Google account (should give you the option first time)
Search for "test" or something else. You get your default location language (in my case Traditional Chinese) and search results for "test".

On the page with search results for "test" scroll all the way down to the bottom. You will see your google user name in black.

Just below there are 3 links in blue. Click on the most left, this is "settings".

In settings you will see radio buttons and the foreign language text.
Scroll down until there is no more radio buttons but drop down scroll lists. These are for "language" settings.

The first drop down list is for "Language in Google Products". Scroll down till you find your translation, in my case "英文".

Do the same for the second scroll down list.

Scroll to the complete bottom and click the blue button, this is "Save". You are all set. Google should now show everything in your preferred language, without rooting your phone.

Good luck!

.... if this quick'n'easy method doesn't work
5th July 2012, 05:18 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
does not change site
The non-rooted settings approach changes the display language, it does not change the site.
10th July 2012, 06:50 AM |#11  
Flag Shenzhen
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Great thread, I also would like to be able to do this, but still haven't found a way that works. As mentioned above, changing "settings" on the search page only changes the language of the results, not the actual search website.

I have root access and also tried editing the local state file as described above. The first time I launched Chrome after the change, it defaulted to google.com as planned, with a popup at the bottom that asked me if I wanted to continue using google.com, or use google.com.hk instead. I chose "google.com", yet when i launched the browser a second time, it defaulted to google.com.hk.

Phone out of battery now but i'll try editing the local state file with "google.com/ncr" when I get home. Any other suggestions? Forcing it to use google.com every time would be very useful!

Chrome version is 18.0.1025123, and Android version is 4.1
The Following User Says Thank You to andao79 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift andao79 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)