[Q] Anybody know what is the best Offline GPS app for Hiking?

Search This thread

justinblaine23

Nov 13, 2011
Boise, ID
I have looked through google and parts of this forum but haven't really had any luck on finding an app that will show coordinates when you're offline. I know there are apps where you can download a map and store it on your SD card, but I like to hike in Eastern Oregon and Western Idaho where there aren't really any options to get the maps digitally.

I was wondering if anyone knew of an app that allowed you to enter coordinates to navigate there or to have it save your current coordinates so you could return there.

Thanks,

Justin

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
OSMAnd might also be useful - if your hiking trails are in OSM.

However OSMAnd doesn't do offline terrain/topo. :(

justinblaine23

Nov 13, 2011
Boise, ID
OSMAnd might also be useful - if your hiking trails are in OSM.

However OSMAnd doesn't do offline terrain/topo. :(

Thanks, IDK I'll have a physical topo map so I don't necessarily need topo, I'll check it out. I'm more concerned about the Lat/Long Coordinates to make sure I can get back to my car...It's hours away from even remote towns and I don't want to get lost!

Did you check out Locus and Maverick from the Android Apps and Games forum? If they are good, maybe come back and do a mini-review? I'd be interested in setting up something similar on my phone.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=907430
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1524092

I'll check them out and post back if I find useful, I did download maverick and it looks like it allows you to navigate to coordinates. I also downloaded the free version of backpacker GPS Trails and it's pretty good as well, It even has a map which includes one of the hikes I'm interested in. I'll update in a few weeks after I've had some time to try them out around town...

Thanks guys.

mvi57

Jan 27, 2012
There's AllTrails, Backpacker GPS Trails Lite, and MyTracks too!
:)

I've used My Tracks to record bike rides, and the only issue I've had with it is that I always seem to start off about 200-400 ft below sea level. I can usually get GPS Test app to settle down to something close to actual altitude, but My Tracks never does even if I let it sit for 5 minutes outside with a clear view of the sky before I start recording the ride. According to the GPS Status app web site, this is the way the GPS works on Android.

SilverZero

May 18, 2010
I swear by Locus Pro, personally. There's a "map tweak" add-on available that allows you to view and download from Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc. plus they have up-to-date My Topo maps. Whenever I'm heading out, I download the entire area down to the highest zoom level, in Google terrain maps and My Topo maps, and maybe satellite if I'm feeling like I might want it (though those tiles are a lot larger than the rest). It even interfaces with My Tracks if you want to use that to record your route instead of the built-in tracker.

baggar11

Jul 16, 2010
My fav is Oruxmaps. You can use mobile atlas creator to create offline maps from either windows/mac/linux. It's java based.

big_boludo

May 24, 2012
In the default Google maps app, hit the menu button and go into settings, then labs. Enable "pre-cache map area". Then go back to the map, and long-press on the area you'll be hiking. Tap on the location detail, then down at the bottom you should see "pre-cache map area". That will save the area within 10 miles of the location for use when there is no data service.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA

Papou11

Sep 30, 2013
Thanks, IDK I'll have a physical topo map so I don't necessarily need topo, I'll check it out. I'm more concerned about the Lat/Long Coordinates to make sure I can get back to my car...It's hours away from even remote towns and I don't want to get lost!

Osmand has a car parking plugin that not only records to use as destination the location where you left you car, but also the time you must return to it. You can also show the current location, create a POI for it and do whatever you like with it.

NickJig

Nov 24, 2014
Try Spyglass, it's by far my favourite nav app. It works extremely well when offline with just gps signal and top-notch for off-road navigation, hiking and camping. It's crammed with all that necessary data like gps coordinates, current azimuth, altitude, speed, potential arrival time to your target and much more. You can also save locations to return to them later and share locations with your friends.

Reactions: david72262

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Try Spyglass, it's by far my favourite nav app. It works extremely well when offline with just gps signal and top-notch for off-road navigation, hiking and camping. It's crammed with all that necessary data like gps coordinates, current azimuth, altitude, speed, potential arrival time to your target and much more. You can also save locations to return to them later and share locations with your friends.