FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Dangerous Battery Charging

248 posts
Thanks Meter: 15

By kire.htc, Senior Member on 17th March 2012, 04:05 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I read few topics similar like this on other web sites, but i need more opinions from you guys. I have 3vo GSM for few days and i am afraid of charging the batery. Why? Because it is going up to 4350mv or 4.35V, and as i know it's too much (it's normal up to 4.1 or 4.2) and with that kind of charge you can reduce battery life. So i need to know is that rom related, kernel related or it's something wrong. I am rooted on MikRunny v1.11 and don't know is that happaning on stock phone. I don't know what is wrong, but i don't like this kind of charging.

17th March 2012, 04:55 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 73

More
It's normal.
18th March 2012, 08:01 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by majid25

It's normal.

It's definetly not normal. It's hurting battery.

Wikipedia:

High charge levels and elevated temperatures (whether from charging or ambient air) hasten capacity loss. Loss rates vary by temperature: 6% loss at 0 °C (32 °F), 20% at 25 °C (77 °F), and 35% at 40 °C (104 °F).
(Many) Lithium-ion battery packs contain fail-safe circuitry that shuts down the battery when its voltage is outside the safe range of 3–4.2 V per cell. ....3.7 V nominal voltage with a 4.2 V max charge.

Typically, lithium-ion cells are charged with 4.2 ± 0.05 V/cell.

Is there something that can fix this????
18th March 2012, 08:35 PM |#4  
Flag Grapevine, Texas
Thanks Meter: 845

Donate to Me
More
4350mv is totally normal for our phones.
18th March 2012, 08:55 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 364

More
It's perfectly normal, stop being paranoid. It's just a phone.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
18th March 2012, 10:01 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Thanks for reply. My phone is charging from 99% to 100% in 45 minutes. Is that normal too??

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using XDA
19th March 2012, 12:02 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 364

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kire.htc

Thanks for reply. My phone is charging from 99% to 100% in 45 minutes. Is that normal too??

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using XDA

No, that's a lie

19th March 2012, 12:33 AM |#8  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 221

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodrain954

No, that's a lie

Lol.

Trust me there are fail safes. Your phone will not blow up and your battery will no spontaneously com bust. Quit being paranoid...
19th March 2012, 02:50 AM |#9  
Flag USA
Thanks Meter: 64

More
Quote:

It's perfectly normal, stop being paranoid. It's just a phone.

Just a phone? It's also got a highly volatile battery in it if you charge it incorrectly.

When people say "it's normal", you need to clarity whether normal = phone misreads charge voltage, or if normal = normal to charge at 4.35v. If it's "normal to charge at 4.35v" then that's a real big problem with your phone.

Li-ion is not to be ******* with. Please don't go telling people it's OK when it's not.

[This has been a public service announcement] lol ;)

Sorry if the tone is harsh, but please go and read some articles on li-ion charging people

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405

Lol.

Trust me there are fail safes. Your phone will not blow up and your battery will no spontaneously com bust. Quit being paranoid...

So at what point are you going to mention one of the fail-safe's being that it vents to atmosphere when the battery pressure get's too high? (possibly with flame).
The Following User Says Thank You to Scougar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Scougar Ad-Free
19th March 2012, 03:46 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Overcharging li-ion battery is very dangerous. I did some research and this is what i found:

I fully charged my battery. On battery monitor widget it shows 4349mV. I turn off the phone, take off batery and measure with digital multimetar. It shows 4.31mV. So maybe the phone does't show very accurate stats. I'am still not sure.

This is what i found on web:
A source reached out to us and let us know that the Motorola Bionic's 3.8 V battery is in fact using a new alternative high voltage chemistry, and is not simply an overcharged Lithium Ion battery. This same battery will be used in the just-announced Motorola Atrix 2 as well. Note that the battery name includes an H (eg HW4X) to denote the use of these high voltage battery chemistries. This new chemistry also has similar cycle life as existing 3.7 V nominal batteries, and has been in the works for several years.

It’s just interesting that this particular battery is 3.8 V nominal (4.3 V fully charged), as this 0.1V boost design choice gives the battery a bit more capacity. It isn’t a huge difference, 3.7 V would make the 1735 mAh battery 6.4 Whr, the 3.8 V of this current design makes it 6.6 Whr.
SOURCE: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4910/m...-with-4g-lte/2

This will be useful too:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=871051

So i hope that this will help someone.
24th March 2012, 08:40 PM |#11  
Flag Durham, NC
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Quote:

No, that's a lie

ORLY? I've noticed on several different chargers that my Amaze is moderating the charging rate (and amperage, if you believe Battery Monitor Widget) as it nears 100%. I get "Battery Full" and "Charging complete" alarms well after "100%" is reached.

Both images are from overnight charge cycles, with screen turned off. Autosync and other periodic processes are disabled at night by Llama. Vertical indices represent one hour. Second image is for an HTC stock charger, U250.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)