FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Anyone Know Of An App To Enhance Screen Brightness Above Factory Max?

578 posts
Thanks Meter: 43

By in_dmand, Senior Member on 18th March 2012, 03:25 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Have been searching around to see if there is such a thing, but I can't find anything. Does anyone know if it would even be possible to make an app to make screen brighter than the factory max setting? I know it must depend, at least to some extent, on the hardware... but I doubt they actually max it out at the factory... i'm just sayin =) would be nice to have in bright sunlight!

19th March 2012, 06:50 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_dmand

Have been searching around to see if there is such a thing, but I can't find anything. Does anyone know if it would even be possible to make an app to make screen brighter than the factory max setting? I know it must depend, at least to some extent, on the hardware... but I doubt they actually max it out at the factory... i'm just sayin =) would be nice to have in bright sunlight!

I would imagine you could increase the brightness by upping the voltage of whatever controls it, but I'm not sure if there is a hardware cap or not. I doubt it would be very safe for the hardware though...
The Following User Says Thank You to !nstaGib For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift !nstaGib Ad-Free
21st March 2012, 04:59 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Greenville, SC
Thanks Meter: 43

More
yeah good point... i have no idea but wanted to see if anyone else did! i guess you would probably have to worry about "burn in" or "imprinting" ( I guess it would be called) too...
21st March 2012, 07:28 PM |#4  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_dmand

yeah good point... i have no idea but wanted to see if anyone else did! i guess you would probably have to worry about "burn in" or "imprinting" ( I guess it would be called) too...

No, because it's only the backlight. But it certainly wouldn't be /good/ for the phone at all. But I haven't developed anything for the phone, and am somewhat new to the scene, so don't take my word alone on it
23rd March 2012, 04:46 PM |#5  
Flag Kherson
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Looking for some app/mod but to reduce the minimum brightness )
Any ideas?
23rd March 2012, 09:15 PM |#6  
Flag Auckland
Thanks Meter: 436

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by !nstaGib

No, because it's only the backlight. But it certainly wouldn't be /good/ for the phone at all. But I haven't developed anything for the phone, and am somewhat new to the scene, so don't take my word alone on it

AMOLED screens don't have backlights.

It's not so much burn-in you have to worry about as burn-out - the individual LEDs are prone to do that if they have to display the same image or colour for long periods of time. Blue, for example, will burn out the fastest. There's a lot of discussion that went on around AMOLEDs for the earlier phones that used the screen tech, like the Nexus One and the SGS.

As for decreasing brightness, Screen Filter is the way to go.

Sent from my XT910 using xda premium
23rd March 2012, 10:11 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 162

More
There is nothing for this

Ask us any Android Related Question @FeraLabsDevs on Twitter
26th March 2012, 03:00 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOCKDOC_UA

Looking for some app/mod but to reduce the minimum brightness )
Any ideas?

Screen Filter. I've been using it for a when I read before I sleep. Very simple, good app.

Even if you do manage to find something to increase the max brightness, I wouldn't. There are usually caps on those things for a reason.
31st March 2012, 04:16 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by onslaught86

AMOLED screens don't have backlights.

It's not so much burn-in you have to worry about as burn-out - the individual LEDs are prone to do that if they have to display the same image or colour for long periods of time. Blue, for example, will burn out the fastest. There's a lot of discussion that went on around AMOLEDs for the earlier phones that used the screen tech, like the Nexus One and the SGS.

As for decreasing brightness, Screen Filter is the way to go.

Sent from my XT910 using xda premium

not a problem ... i experienced 'burn-out' SEVERAL years ago
seriously though, compared to my fruit phone, the maxx leaves a little to be desired in direct sunlight. it's ok, but just could be better. in fact, i almost switched back to my 4s because of that ... bought a mophie juice pack air yesterday and thought ... oh yeah, 2 days of battery, even more than my maxx. .. then i see that ICS is allegedly hitting in a few days so figured i would wait it out. i can always return the mophie!!!
2nd April 2012, 12:11 PM |#10  
Flag Chicago

Donate to Me
More
Lux
Try this.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...bHV4LmZyZWUiXQ..
2nd April 2012, 10:07 PM |#11  

More
I also use screen filter for additional dimming for nighttime. Juice Defender Ultimate also offers reduced band augmented brightness, although I don't know if their augmented brightness is any brighter than stock (probably not.)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)