FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

HTC Arrive Hacking Guide

589 posts
Thanks Meter: 136

By chrisliphart, Senior Member on 24th March 2012, 02:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Here's a basic guide for getting a custom ROM on your HTC Arrive. I cannot stress enough that you need to do your research and know the risks before going through the following steps. At best, they'll void your warranty (but gain you cool features, like tethering). At worst, they'll brick your phone. I am NOT a developer, and I take no responsibility if you brick your phone. I'm just a guy that pulled the steps together.

First, make sure Zune is not running on your computer, and get this file to downgrade your SPL to the needed level. To do that, turn the phone off, hold the volume down button, hit power while still holding volume down, then let go of power. When you see the 3 color screen, plug the phone into the computer and run the tool.

Then, get this file. READ THIS POST! You will also need to install the Windows Mobile Device Center software (32-Bit)/(64-Bit) from Microsoft. Following the above steps on your phone, first run the Loader file to install RSPL. Then run the Installer file (again, with the above steps) to install HSPL.

After you do all that, the phone will boot normally and act normal, like you didn't do anything to it. Fear not, it's ready to load any ROM that is listed as a GOLD_C ROM. DO NOT INSTALL ANY ROM THAT DOES NOT SAY GOLD_C OR ARRIVE.

To install the your ROM of choice, follow the steps on the phone and run the ROMUpdateUtility.exe file supplied by the ROM.

NOTE: There is no way to back up your apps or data on the phone when you install a new ROM. Make sure your contacts and stuff are backed up to Windows Live/Google/Yahoo before you do all of this. Make a note of your installed apps, and be ready to lose all your save games.

Again, I am not a developer, and I take no responsibility if something screws up and bricks your phone. I can't stress enough that you CAN brick your phone if you do not carefully follow instructions. Do your research and know what you're getting into.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to chrisliphart For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chrisliphart Ad-Free

24th March 2012, 04:47 PM |#2  
Flag Bronx, NY
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Well can you explain or PM me what do do?Ima n00b at this
24th March 2012, 05:14 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Atlanta, GA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iEatRappers

Well can you explain or PM me what do do?Ima n00b at this

Here's a basic guide. I cannot stress enough that you need to do your research and know the risks before going through the following steps. At best, they'll void your warranty. At worst, they'll brick your phone. I am NOT a developer, and I take no responsibility if you brick your phone. I'm just a guy that pulled the steps together.

First, make sure Zune is not running on your computer, and get this file to downgrade your SPL to the needed level. To do that, turn the phone off, hold the volume down button, hit power while still holding volume down, then let go of power. When you see the 3 color screen, plug the phone into the computer and run the tool.

Then, get this file. READ THIS POST! You will also need to install the Windows Mobile Device Center software (32-Bit)/(64-Bit) from Microsoft. Following the above steps on your phone, first run the Loader file to install RSPL. Then run the Installer file (again, with the above steps) to install HSPL.

After you do all that, the phone will boot normally and act normal, like you didn't do anything to it. Fear not, it's ready to load any ROM that is listed as a GOLD_C ROM. DO NOT INSTALL ANY ROM THAT DOES NOT SAY GOLD_C OR ARRIVE.

To install the your ROM of choice, follow the steps on the phone and run the ROMUpdateUtility.exe file supplied by the ROM.

NOTE: There is no way to back up your apps or data on the phone when you install a new ROM. Make sure your contacts and stuff are backed up to Windows Live/Google/Yahoo before you do all of this. Make a note of your installed apps, and be ready to lose all your save games.

Again, I am not a developer, and I take no responsibility if something screws up and bricks your phone. I can't stress enough that you CAN brick your phone if you do not carefully follow instructions. Do your research and know what you're getting into.
25th March 2012, 04:03 AM |#4  
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 17

More
It would be very important to mention the gold card method as a way of downgrading the SPL on half bricked devices. Also, pictures would be helpful. I can contribute to this guide if you would like. It would be nice to put this on the wiki so that everyone can contribute to it
25th March 2012, 04:59 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Atlanta, GA

More
Sure, if anyone wants to add their superior knowledge (I just posted what worked for me), I'm all for adding it, or turning the reigns over to someone more qualified.

As my phone was already unlocked, I might have been able to skip over any steps that I might have omitted. If I did omit anything, it's because I simply didn't know they existed, such as the Gold Card method you mentioned. Again, it's just what worked for me.

If there's a wiki, my steps are more than welcome to be added to it by anyone who wants to do so. I just made this post because I had a hard time finding Arrive-specific steps.

As to pictures, I'm not sure what you're looking for there. Photos of the steps I took, screencaps (is that possible?), or what?

And if the guide seems vague or confusing, it can be pulled down, as well. I don't want to brick anyone's phone by my lack of technical knowledge.
31st March 2012, 01:10 PM |#6  
Flag Hamburg
Thanks Meter: 0

More
dosn´t work, i Can´t flash any Rom.

HTC 7 Pro
SPL 5.11
31st March 2012, 04:41 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Atlanta, GA

More
Your SPL is too high. Did you successfully follows the first steps?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium
31st March 2012, 06:02 PM |#8  
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens-J.

dosn´t work, i Can´t flash any Rom.

HTC 7 Pro
SPL 5.11

you have a 7 Pro (HTC Gold), not an Arrive (HTC Gold_C)?

THIS IS NOT THE SAME THING. THE GOLD_C IS THE CDMA VERSION, THE GOLD IS THE GSM VERSION.

Do NOT try to flash CDMA roms or bootloaders to the GSM phones.
31st March 2012, 07:15 PM |#9  
Flag Bronx, NY
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Is there anyway to backup my stuff?Like txt messages,games save data etc...
31st March 2012, 09:42 PM |#10  
Flag Bishopville, MD
Thanks Meter: 6

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iEatRappers

Is there anyway to backup my stuff?Like txt messages,games save data etc...

You can use this tool to backup

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1379571

but I dont think you will be able to import the backup information to the new rom.
1st April 2012, 06:54 PM |#11  
Flag Hamburg
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks for the answers, is there any way to do this with my
German HTC 7 Pro ( HTC Gold ) without the Goldkard metod ???
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)