FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Motorola Droid X Take Apart Repair Guide

624 posts
Thanks Meter: 785
 
Post Reply Email Thread
If you have any issue with your outer touch screen and inner LCD screen, this is the Droid X take apart repair guide that will help you take apart the Droid X fairly easily in a step by step manner giving you a chance to replace faulty parts.

This guide should help you replace the following parts:
  • Motorola Droid X Touch Screen Digitizer
  • Motorola Droid X LCD Screen Replacement
  • Motorola Droid X Replacement Battery

Tools:
  • Small Phillips Screwdriver
  • Safe Open Pry Tool
  • Heat Gun/Hair Dryer

Motorola Droix X Take Apart Repair Guide:
  • The first step is to power down the phone and slip open the battery door so that the battery of the Droid X can be removed.
  • Removing the U-cover and the top cover is the first task at hand which can be achieved by unscrewing the two screws to using the Small Phillips Screwdriver as shown in the figure below.

  • This next step involves locating and removing the four screws (2 on the top and 2 on the bottom) on the front end of the phone. These screws are hidden behind covers which should be removed by inserting the safe open pry tool into one end of the phone twisting it to one side till you hear a click which signals that the plastic latch has been unlocked do this for all three sides of each of the two covers. You should also now be able to remove the U-Cover located on the bottom of the phone using the safe open pry tool.

  • The next task at hand is to remove the back housing of the Droid X. This can be achieved by inserting the safe open pry tool into one end of the phone and running it along its edges. However be careful because the digitizer cable and the flex cable are hidden under the back cover which can easily be damaged if you apply too much force.
  • You will now need to remove the motherboard of the Droid X which begins with disconnecting the flex cable and digitizer cable (on the right of the phone) from the motherboard using the safe open pry tool. The flex cable can be pried right off while the digitizer cable will first need to be unhooked and then pulled out.

  • The motherboard pops right out, but be careful because there is a cable attached to the other end of the board which will need to be unfastened prior to being able to completely remove the motherboard. You can use the safe open pry tool to disconnect that cable as you slightly dangle the motherboard to insert the pry tool through.
  • In this next step you will have to take apart the digitizer and LCD assembly which are separated by a middle plate. There are around thirteen screws securing the middle plate to the digitizer and LCD which need to be removed using the small Phillips screwdriver prior to prying out the middle plate. Also make sure that there aren't any small clips attached to the plate prior to pulling it out.
  • Once you separate the LCD and digitizer the Droid X is now completely disassembled.

There you have it, the Droid X is completely disassembled. You can now replace old or faulty parts prior to putting everything back together following this guide in reverse.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to repairsuniverse For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift repairsuniverse Ad-Free
 
 
31st March 2012, 04:00 AM |#2  
freakboy13's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 420
 
More
Nice write up....

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using xda premium
1st April 2012, 12:13 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 785
 
More
Thanks. Glad you found it useful.
3rd April 2012, 08:12 AM |#4  
Junior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Great write up, came in helpful as I had to replace my LCD and digitizer, BUT, after I had replaced them, my phone went into bootloader mode, I flash the SBF .602 and it went great, you know 10-12 minute write time. I followed all the steps to a T. Pulled the battery, power button + home button, goto recovery wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache then reboot. when it boots back up I get the red Motorola symbol for 10-15 seconds then goes to the green android guy with the yellow ! mark, double volume buttons and goes back to recovery. Any idea to why this happens???? I SBF'ed 3x's with different disks just to make sure it wasn't a bad disk. Gave up on it and said to heck with it and put the old parts back together and everything worked fine.
Just a heads up with what I have: DroidX, Rooted, sys 4.5.602, Android ver 2.3.3, pretty much stock except for root. I did buy this phone used off EBay, everything works except Vibe and the LED notification light. The LCD and digitizer are from another phone that didnt have a motherboard so I just swapped out mine.
Thanks a bunch if you or anyone has an idea to why I am having this issue from swapping out the motherboard.
4th April 2012, 06:23 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 785
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbedder

Great write up, came in helpful as I had to replace my LCD and digitizer, BUT, after I had replaced them, my phone went into bootloader mode, I flash the SBF .602 and it went great, you know 10-12 minute write time. I followed all the steps to a T. Pulled the battery, power button + home button, goto recovery wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache then reboot. when it boots back up I get the red Motorola symbol for 10-15 seconds then goes to the green android guy with the yellow ! mark, double volume buttons and goes back to recovery. Any idea to why this happens???? I SBF'ed 3x's with different disks just to make sure it wasn't a bad disk. Gave up on it and said to heck with it and put the old parts back together and everything worked fine.
Just a heads up with what I have: DroidX, Rooted, sys 4.5.602, Android ver 2.3.3, pretty much stock except for root. I did buy this phone used off EBay, everything works except Vibe and the LED notification light. The LCD and digitizer are from another phone that didnt have a motherboard so I just swapped out mine.
Thanks a bunch if you or anyone has an idea to why I am having this issue from swapping out the motherboard.

Make sure that none of the buttons are being pressed down during boot. This can happen if you have not put the housing back on correctly and this can cause the issue you have.
9th April 2012, 04:30 AM |#6  
Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
awesome repair guide, thanks for the info.

quick question. ive got a lovely droid x i found in a parking lot....run over. completely. most of the components (emi shields at least) look like theyre dented/pressed in but they could be in alright shape, i dunno. any insight? i could post pictures...

the entire assembly is completely worthless but i can replace all that relatively cheaply. i dont know about the esn or anything else (id rather not repair a phone that techinically belongs to asurion....)

edit: looking for a droid x to swap motherboards with, see if this one is alright. i think the main thing im checking is the motherboard, everything else is external and relatively cheap. (relatively). a buddy of mine is lookin to pick up a cdma droid and this could be his new phone.
19th April 2012, 12:41 AM |#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Thanks for the great write up . There are alos couple of videos out there on y-tube etc which can compliment the write-up .
19th April 2012, 06:37 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 785
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamx2

Thanks for the great write up . There are alos couple of videos out there on y-tube etc which can compliment the write-up .

Yes, we actually have a video guide also which can be found here - How to repair a Motorola Droid X Screen
1st August 2013, 01:30 AM |#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Your repair guide is very informative. Thanks for sharing
9th August 2013, 10:32 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 785
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by moserandrea

Your repair guide is very informative. Thanks for sharing

You're Welcome!
10th September 2013, 10:57 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 785
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladimirhtg

awesome repair guide, thanks for the info.

quick question. ive got a lovely droid x i found in a parking lot....run over. completely. most of the components (emi shields at least) look like theyre dented/pressed in but they could be in alright shape, i dunno. any insight? i could post pictures...

the entire assembly is completely worthless but i can replace all that relatively cheaply. i dont know about the esn or anything else (id rather not repair a phone that techinically belongs to asurion....)

edit: looking for a droid x to swap motherboards with, see if this one is alright. i think the main thing im checking is the motherboard, everything else is external and relatively cheap. (relatively). a buddy of mine is lookin to pick up a cdma droid and this could be his new phone.

Sounds like you have plenty of parts to replace. We have numerous parts for this device available on our site. A link can be found in our signature.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
droid x, motorola, repair, screen assembly, screen guide

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes