"official" VZ droid silicone case/skin causes battery to heat up

Search This thread

punkonjunk

Feb 16, 2012
Just a word of warning. I was seeing my battery at 120F whenever I was multitasking, like uploading stuff to dropbox & streaming music, which shouldn't be that intensive, it was making me crazy. Finally popped off the case, no more heat, I never see it over 100F anymore.

I do not know the model or anything, the turd at verizon unboxed it and discarded the box. It's the silicone one with some sort of reinforcement built into it. It cost like 20 dollars, and they won't take it back now without the box. Jerks.

So... just worth mentioning. Wouldn't have them throw in the case, if I were you. I'm off to search for a very thin silicone one, or something like that.

EDIT:
This case:
http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/U...n-for-DROID4-by-MOTOROLA-from-PURE-GEAR-US-EN
I would avoid that. At least it gave me issues.

Last edited:

deturbanator

Apr 5, 2012
Just a word of warning. I was seeing my battery at 120F whenever I was multitasking, like uploading stuff to dropbox & streaming music, which shouldn't be that intensive, it was making me crazy. Finally popped off the case, no more heat, I never see it over 100F anymore.

I do not know the model or anything, the turd at verizon unboxed it and discarded the box. It's the silicone one with some sort of reinforcement built into it. It cost like 20 dollars, and they won't take it back now without the box. Jerks.

So... just worth mentioning. Wouldn't have them throw in the case, if I were you. I'm off to search for a very thin silicone one, or something like that.

EDIT:
This case:

I would avoid that. At least it gave me issues.

Was your phone plugged into your charger while doing these tasks?

I have found that when my phone is fully charged, and I am doing a lot of tasks on the phone while it is plugged in, my phone gets really hot. I think it has to do with the charger doing small charge pulses to keep the battery at maximum capacity. I have the otterbox case which sounds very familiar to yours (inner silicon mold with an outer plastic shell), and when I am using the phone hard, I do not get these problems when disconnected from the power outlet.

I could imagine as a little dyi fix, you could cut slits into the silicon so that you still get most of the reinforcement and protection, but now it has a little bit of breathing room. (like a heatsink, but inefficient).

If you are just going to throw the case away, this is an interesting option.

djhcmd

Oct 9, 2009
Did you ever find something thin and silicone? I have the pure gear, my phone gets hot and its way too sticky in my pocket.

Goodeman

Jul 26, 2012
I think it'd be really interesting to see if the slits would work.. Is anyone willing to try it and post their results? I have the case too.

Sent from my DROID4 using xda premium

shadownekos

Oct 23, 2012
middle earth
I have the verizon kickstand case and my phone only hits around 117ish. I dont like going over 120 so i have warnings to let me know when it hits 117. I think the vzw kickstand case helps the temp when the kickstand is being used since it opens 3 large holes in the back.
Hope this helps

Sent from my DROID4 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: DarkMidnight

ghost0001

Dec 28, 2010
Killeen
I have a hard plastic case that i got off Verizon and it also get's super hot on and off the charger, but the official verizon kickstand case http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=accessoryDetails&accessoryId=50277 doesn't really heat up. The verizon case is way thinner and covers less of the phone, so maybe some holes will help.

I have the verizon kickstand case and my phone only hits around 117ish. I dont like going over 120 so i have warnings to let me know when it hits 117. I think the vzw kickstand case helps the temp when the kickstand is being used since it opens 3 large holes in the back.
Hope this helps

I too have the kickstand case. I use my droid for everything, from driving directions in my car using the car mount while listening to slacker radio, to checking emails and facebook while away from my PC. My temperature has hit 130 degrees F. I use a temp monitor to keep an eye on my internal and battery temp. I also point my A/C vent in my car towards my phone to keep it cool during the summer months. Lastly, when using it away from car, as in to tether, i remove my case and slide the keyboard up to keep the most surface area exposed to keep the phone as cool as possible. I use FoxFi to tether my Xbox, PS3, PC, and Asus Transformer 101 all at once.

Reactions: The Kraken!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hope this helps

I have a hard plastic case that i got off Verizon and it also get's super hot on and off the charger, but the official verizon kickstand case http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=accessoryDetails&accessoryId=50277 doesn't really heat up. The verizon case is way thinner and covers less of the phone, so maybe some holes will help.

Hope this helps

I too have the kickstand case. I use my droid for everything, from driving directions in my car using the car mount while listening to slacker radio, to checking emails and facebook while away from my PC. My temperature has hit 130 degrees F. I use a temp monitor to keep an eye on my internal and battery temp. I also point my A/C vent in my car towards my phone to keep it cool during the summer months. Lastly, when using it away from car, as in to tether, i remove my case and slide the keyboard up to keep the most surface area exposed to keep the phone as cool as possible. I use FoxFi to tether my Xbox, PS3, PC, and Asus Transformer 101 all at once.