FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Illegal to use gapps with Cyanogen?

107 posts
Thanks Meter: 10

By Righteous Joe, Senior Member on 3rd April 2012, 06:21 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Is it considered a violation or illegal to put Google apps on cm9, when your phone is rooted, does that mean you can't use them. Because Google did send cyanogen a cease and desist letter.

3rd April 2012, 06:35 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 153

More

Google only cares if Cyanogen packages the GAPPS with the rom. It is completely legal for you to use GAPPS on your rooted phone.
3rd April 2012, 06:39 PM |#3  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 233

Donate to Me
More
As mentioned above Google didn't want apps like the then Market and GMail being bundled so they put them into a separate package which is Gapps.
3rd April 2012, 06:44 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Sorry for my ignorance, but gapps was our together by Google for use with rooted devices,,and what was the reason Google didn't want its apps with cyanogen yet let's other developers use them.
3rd April 2012, 07:19 PM |#5  
Flag Ploiesti
Thanks Meter: 27

More
This people is the perfect example of how Google Translate is ruining your entire life.

Cant understand the logic of your sentence
3rd April 2012, 08:03 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 485

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Righteous Joe

Sorry for my ignorance, but gapps was our together by Google for use with rooted devices,,and what was the reason Google didn't want its apps with cyanogen yet let's other developers use them.

Cyanogenmod has enough of a user base that it isn't considered a tiny enthusiast group, (more bluntly, no longer considered in the personal use realm), and do has to license from google to bundle google apps. However, cyanogen has side stepped this issue, bit not bundling the apps, but rather letting the user install them, keeping it in the personal use realm. There's is nothing illegal about gapps and nothing illegal about cyanogenmod.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk
3rd April 2012, 08:04 PM |#7  
Flag Bristol
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccs16rocks

This people is the perfect example of how Google Translate is ruining your entire life.

Cant understand the logic of your sentence

Just bad grammar, not Google Translate. Replace 'our' with 'put' and it makes perfect sense
Quote:
Originally Posted by Righteous Joe

Who says they let other developers use them? More likely is just that CM was a worthwhile target for a cease and desist, given it's the most popular custom android distribution and Cyanogen himself is US based.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)