FORUMS

[Q] Root Xoom with linux ?

2,629 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,509

By elsworth1983, Senior Member on 6th April 2012, 10:19 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
i ditched windows ages ago and i will never look back i am sick and tierd of waiting on moto uk to push ics. i use to have the dell streak and i rooted that but i was on windows then how do i root my xoom with linux mint is it possible and can any point me in the right direction please
7th April 2012, 06:08 AM |#2  
Flag USA
Thanks Meter: 237

More
Stand by, I will give you all the tools and options you need to do so, I could draft something tomorrow morning.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to megabiteg For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift megabiteg Ad-Free
7th April 2012, 11:14 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lancaster,UK

More
Thank you megabiteg Still learning linux but i Love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by megabiteg

Stand by, I will give you all the tools and options you need to do so, I could draft something tomorrow morning.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

7th April 2012, 11:37 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 63

More
well, it isn't that hard since everything you really need on your computer ist fastboot and a way to push a file to an sdcard (fat formatted)...

Just go here, download and install the android sdk from there. Make sure the commands adb and fastboot are in your path. (test by issuing adb devices, shold return a list of attached android devices with usb debugging turned on)

After that, just follow these instructions. I am not sure if you need to run fastboot as root, but you'll see
The Following User Says Thank You to llama-power For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift llama-power Ad-Free
7th April 2012, 12:05 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lancaster,UK

More
Cheers for the info just by any chance do you know the commands still learning Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama-power

well, it isn't that hard since everything you really need on your computer ist fastboot and a way to push a file to an sdcard (fat formatted)...

Just go here, download and install the android sdk from there. Make sure the commands adb and fastboot are in your path. (test by issuing adb devices, shold return a list of attached android devices with usb debugging turned on)

After that, just follow these instructions. I am not sure if you need to run fastboot as root, but you'll see

7th April 2012, 12:59 PM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsworth1983

Cheers for the info just by any chance do you know the commands still learning Linux

thought you ditched windows ages ago?

anyhow... don't have linux set up atm, so this will from memory and might contain some errors... Also, never tried mint, I always stuck to debian or debian-derivates...

anyhow, lets try this:

first, use your package management-system to install a jre (java runtime environment.

If that is set up, install the android sdk:
Code:
$ cd ~
$ wget http://dl.google.com/android/android-sdk_r17-linux.tgz
$ sudo su
[enter your su-password]
# cd /usr/local
# tar xfzv ~[yourusername]/android-sdk_r17-linux.tgz
# ./android-sdk-linux/tools/android
a window should open up and list some files available for download. Just select "Android SDK Platform-tools" and hit "Install 1 package...".

once that's finished (might take a while), close the Android SDK Manager and you should get back to your shell.

Code:
# ln -s /usr/local/android-sdk-linux/platform-tools/adb /usr/local/bin/adb
# ln -s /usr/local/android-sdk-linux/platform-tools/fastboot /usr/local/bin/fastboot
# exit
$ rm android-sdk_r17-linux.tgz
now, connect your xoom to your computer and enable usb debugging in the settings of your xoom. If you issue adb devices, you should get something like
Code:
List of devices attached
043c12343456476547        device
if you receive something like bash: adb: command not found, something went wrong somewhere. Try the same using sudo: sudo adb devices if that doesn't fix it please write another post.

Also, if you encounter an error after entering any of the comments above, please do not continue until you resolved that error. (For example ask for a solution here)

And, since you are still learning to use linux: whenever instructions contain a $ or # at the beginning of a line, DO NOT ENTER THESE. They are just there to tell you to issue that command as normal user ($) or superuser (#)

/EDIT: btw: there may be an easier way to do this if you just want to use adb/fastboot this once: you could try to simply download the adb and fastboot- binaries and put these into the folder with your recovery.img-file. Might work, not sure about that, though. Also, since I don't have linux installed on my machine atm, I can't provide you with a link to these binaries.
The Following User Says Thank You to llama-power For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift llama-power Ad-Free
7th April 2012, 01:16 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lancaster,UK

More
cheers for all your help will give this a go "Dont want to back to windows :)
7th April 2012, 01:22 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lancaster,UK

More
Angry
Android SDK manger log
Error Stopping ADB server failed (code-1)

Connected the xoom and did adb devices and it listed the xoom :) with no errors in the terminal Thank you again ? Were do i go from here now
7th April 2012, 02:28 PM |#9  

More
glad to read it's working

just follow the instructions in this thread That will help you to install a custom recovery and root your xoom. It will not, however, install a custom rom. To do that, you'd also need to download a custom rom (usually comes in a flashable .zip-file), place that on an acutal sd-card which you're gonna put into your xoom, and install that file from within the custom recovery. Just make sure you grab a rom that works with your xoom (for example, you shouldn't put a us-4g-rom onto a wifi-only-xoom and vice versa)
7th April 2012, 02:52 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lancaster,UK

More
have i done something wrong

god-WE174AA-ABU-s5306uk god # adb reboot bootloader
god-WE174AA-ABU-s5306uk god # fastboot oem unlock
fastboot: command not found

The problem i seem to be having is when the xoom is on i type <adb reboot bootloader> The xoom reboots to the fastboot screen after that no commands work and when i do ADB devices in the terminal the device list is empty ?
7th April 2012, 05:15 PM |#11  

More
Quote:

have i done something wrong

god-WE174AA-ABU-s5306uk god # adb reboot bootloader
god-WE174AA-ABU-s5306uk god # fastboot oem unlock
fastboot: command not found

have you done the # ln -s /usr/local/android-sdk-linux/platform-tools/fastboot /usr/local/bin/fastboot? The error you're getting seems to suggest that it can't find the fastboot application? What happens if you type /usr/local/android-sdk-linux/platform-tools/fastboot oem unlock?

Quote:

The problem i seem to be having is when the xoom is on i type <adb reboot bootloader> The xoom reboots to the fastboot screen after that no commands work and when i do ADB devices in the terminal the device list is empty ?

that is expected. adb is only available while android is booted up, fastboot is the protocol to use while in bootloader mode. As indicated before, I suspect that your computer can't find the fastboot application (on the computer).
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)