FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

adb drivers in Win7 64

774 posts
Thanks Meter: 351

By arpruss, Senior Member on 16th April 2012, 12:26 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have no problem connecting my Epic 4G Touch to a WinXP system with adb.

On Win7 64, I installed Kies, but when I plug the phone in, I am told that no drivers for CDC Serial and SAMSUNG_Android were found. And "adb devices" finds nothing.

I can mount the device just fine for transferring files. But I need adb for software development.

16th April 2012, 12:02 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
TampaBay
Thanks Meter: 36,436

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpruss

I have no problem connecting my Epic 4G Touch to a WinXP system with adb.

On Win7 64, I installed Kies, but when I plug the phone in, I am told that no drivers for CDC Serial and SAMSUNG_Android were found. And "adb devices" finds nothing.

I can mount the device just fine for transferring files. But I need adb for software development.

Unless you're going to use it, I would uninstall KIES. Having it running in the background can mess up other functions like flashing with odin. I would just install the Samsung Drivers by themselves. It worked for my adb install in windows 7.
http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.co...1_3_2360_0.exe
The Following User Says Thank You to tdunham For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tdunham Ad-Free
16th April 2012, 05:05 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdunham

Unless you're going to use it, I would uninstall KIES. Having it running in the background can mess up other functions like flashing with odin. I would just install the Samsung Drivers by themselves. It worked for my adb install in windows 7.

Just did that. Uninstalled KIES and tried to install the driver package. Driver installer says: "The MSS Installation for SAMSUNG USB Driver for Mobile Phones V1.3.2360.0 has failed."

Were you using 64-bit Win7?
16th April 2012, 05:10 PM |#4  
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,336

More
Quote:

Just did that. Uninstalled KIES and tried to install the driver package. Driver installer says: "The MSS Installation for SAMSUNG USB Driver for Mobile Phones V1.3.2360.0 has failed."

Were you using 64-bit Win7?

Uninstall all your drivers from device manager and start fresh. Only install the driver.exe from samsungs support page. Once that is installed plug your phone in and let it run through the drivers before you try anything else.

If your computer isn't recognizing your phone in the first place then it's not a problem with adb, its the drivers, so start there.
16th April 2012, 06:03 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
OK, so I uninstalled KIES and the drivers.

I then tried to install the drivers. No go: The installer continues to fail, with the progress bar at around 80-90%. I experimented with running the installer as administrator, installing off of \Program Files (x86) and off of \SAMSUNG, instead of the default \Program Files, and still no go.

I then re-installed KIES, turned off debug in the phone, and plugged it in. Win7 installed a driver for the phone and all was well.

I then unplugged the phone, turned on debug, and plugged it back it. Now Win7 installed the following drivers:
Code:
 USB Composite Device
 USB Mass Storage Device
 Android  UMS Composite USB Device (two of these!)
and said they're ready to use. But it also tried to install:
Code:
 CDC Serial
 SAMSUNG_Android
and it gave "Driver not found" for these.

And "adb devices" lists nothing.

To make sure adb works fine I then plugged in a Kindle Fire. Windows set up the drivers for it and it showed up in "adb devices" just fine.
18th April 2012, 07:05 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
I still can't get it working.

I even tried using the advice I saw on some blog to use the Device Manager, and then update the non-working devices by directing Windows to look in the "\Program Files (x86)\SAMSUNG\USB Drivers" directory for drivers. No effect--Windows says it can't find an appropriate driver there.

The 25_escape\ssudadb.inf file seems to contain stuff with hardware IDs that match the device that Windows can't find a driver for. BUT there is no x64 section in the inf file. Is there supposed to be one?

I even tried turning off Windows' driver signature checks. Didn't help.

Does anybody have this working 64-bit Win7?
18th April 2012, 08:03 PM |#7  
Forum Moderator / Inactive Recognized Developer / XDA Portal Team
Flag Okinawa
Thanks Meter: 8,640

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I still can't get it working.

I even tried using the advice I saw on some blog to use the Device Manager, and then update the non-working devices by directing Windows to look in the "\Program Files (x86)\SAMSUNG\USB Drivers" directory for drivers. No effect--Windows says it can't find an appropriate driver there.

The 25_escape\ssudadb.inf file seems to contain stuff with hardware IDs that match the device that Windows can't find a driver for. BUT there is no x64 section in the inf file. Is there supposed to be one?

I even tried turning off Windows' driver signature checks. Didn't help.

Does anybody have this working 64-bit Win7?

Have it working - and did remember I have Kies installed.
Maybe I downloaded both the separate driver and Kies?

USB Driver Link:

Kies Link:
http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.co...1082_152_4.exe

Know I have problem still with Kies... but I can use ODIN without issues.
19th April 2012, 06:05 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Finally got it!

I can't really explain how I did it, as there was a lot of trial and error and I wasn't keeping notes. But the basic trick was to right click in device manager on the unknown SAMSUNG_Android device, choose Update Driver, choose "Let me pick", choose "Have disk", point to the "SAMSUNG\USB Drivers\25_escape" folder from the KIES installation, and then choose "Samsung Mobile USB Composite Device".

You may then get another unknown device, which using the same method you set to ADB. I did a bunch of stuff in different ways, trying to match different drivers from the 25_escape folder to different devices, until it finally worked.
The Following User Says Thank You to arpruss For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift arpruss Ad-Free
19th April 2012, 06:49 PM |#9  
Flag Golden
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Same issue, solved twice
I have had similar problems in win7 64bit twice now. I got it working once, then ended up reinstalling windows for other reasons. I then had the same problem when trying to install cm9alpha3.

Both times it took a strange combination of installing the drivers manually, plugging in the phone, etc. to get it working. The best advice I have for others is to keep trying.

Also, it seems that Kies almost never gets it right. I personally don't even keep it installed.
28th April 2012, 04:19 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
I posted a guide on how I got this working.

adb works, but I still can't connect to KIES.
The Following User Says Thank You to arpruss For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift arpruss Ad-Free
28th April 2012, 05:17 PM |#11  
Flag Crooklyn
Thanks Meter: 985

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I posted a guide on how I got this working.

adb works, but I still can't connect to KIES.

What Rom are you on. I had same problem with phone running on Calks E4GT v. 3.0 GB Rom, Kies won't recognize Calks Rom, wifeys stock Epic is recognized no problem . Pc Asus G73 win7 64. PC recognizes my phone but Kies won't.
Pp.

Edit
It is rumoured that Kies w will only recognize stock roms.
Pp.
Sent from my tofu plasma converter.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)