FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Gorilla glass scratch repair

253 posts
Thanks Meter: 14

By hawc1506, Senior Member on 16th April 2012, 04:05 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
FYI, I thought this would be a good reference for people who have scratched screens. Original thread here. Has anyone found a better way to mitigate scratches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.mcdear

So my phone fell out of my pocket, screen directly landed on a rock on the ground. There was a nice scrape right in the dead center of the screen.

I found a product called 3M "Perfect-It III Trizact Machine Glaze", or otherwise known as "3M 06070". It is an aluminum silicate based polishing compound for removing swirlies from extremely high-gloss automotive finishes. The stuff is approximately $65 for a quart size from NAPA auto parts. For those who aren't aware, Gorilla Glass itself is an alkali-aluminosilicate, so this particular polishing compound is chemically compatible with the material the screen is made out of.
**Apparently Rezound is NOT Gorilla Glass (confirmed by Corning & HTC) but must have a very similar composition**

It works absolutely beautifully. I started by applying it with a polishing cloth and rubbing by hand, but I switched over to a polishing cloth Dremel tip in my cordless drill at low speed. Approximately 45 seconds worth of polishing the screen with the drill and scrape is hardly noticeable now. With a little more careful work, I believe it will be completely gone!

Unfortunately its expensive. $65/quart is really not that bad though, when you consider that most polishing compounds that are sold specifically for glass screen repair cost as much as $30 for 8 ounces, and in my experience are less effective than 3M 06070.

I hope this helps anybody with a damaged glass on the screen. Best bet is to just get a screen protector. Not having one is a potentially expensive mistake..

**NOTE**
While this does work on the Rezound, I would NOT attempt this on any other glass screen unless you can verify that it is real Gorilla Glass or some other aluminosilicate glass.

Alternately, if you prefer to simply replace the entire glass/digitizer portion of the phone, I have found one available online (for cheaper than this polishing compound too!) here at this site: http://www.gogotoshop.com/product_in...oducts_id=4896

The Following User Says Thank You to hawc1506 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hawc1506 Ad-Free

16th April 2012, 04:57 AM |#2  
Flag Mukwonago
Thanks Meter: 759

Donate to Me
More
will this damage the oleophobic coating on the display?
16th April 2012, 07:06 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bellevue, WA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by voluptuary

will this damage the oleophobic coating on the display?

I've never tried this. But now I'm wondering the little scratch on my display is on the coating itself and not the glass...

Any way to repair the oleophobic coating?
iphonepimp
16th April 2012, 08:22 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Kills the oleophobic coating. i have a dull spot on my screen now...
16th April 2012, 08:57 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bellevue, WA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonepimp

Kills the oleophobic coating. i have a dull spot on my screen now...

If you applied it to the entire screen, would it even out the texture, even though it will "dull" out the entire screen? And how effective is it at removing scratches?
16th April 2012, 11:57 AM |#6  
Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 131

Donate to Me
More
Like voluptuary said Lumia have that 3 layer anti-glare and anti-smudge coating on top of gorilla glass. Lumia's screen scratch resistance is really very poor because of this. In general it is very resistant, but sightless press with sharp edge will leave a noticeable mark.

As far as I know there are no cheap solutions. If scratch is really huge and annoying consider replacing the whole screen.

I managed to scratch my Nokia in 1st day of use by simply putting in pocket with keys. Never happened to my other phones (HTC Hero and Polaris).

I tried jewelers polish powder, aka cerium oxide. It worked pretty well for very light scratches, but deep ones are still visible. I used electrical drill and polish for about 1hr at 1000rpm speed. Just watch to not to overheat screen or it will break.

As a finishing polish I used Displex. All it does is applies protecting coating and removes all left over marks from cerium oxide. It's poor mans choice, don't expect miracles.

Also any kind screen polishing will reduce effectiveness or even damage that anti-smudge effect. So be warned.
The Following User Says Thank You to whitealien For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift whitealien Ad-Free
4th December 2017, 01:09 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Hi ist this actually the best glass polish?
Is this 3M "Perfect-It III Trizact "50077" or "06070" from 3M?
But there is also "3M Glass Polishing Compound" with the type number "60150".
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)