[ICS] [PSA] [HOW-TO] Full Desktop Backup (no root needed)

125 posts
Thanks Meter: 59

By madhouze, Senior Member on 19th April 2012, 02:59 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Looking through the menus in my ICS i've noticed the option to set "Desktop Backup Password" and thought to myself - "Well, How odd... Android does not have any desktop backup solution built in..."

It took some digging since there wasn't a lot of information online - but I ended up stumbling upon this page:
http://www.tested.com/news/feature/a...root-required/

As it turns out - Google created a mechanism in ICS to create full desktop backups for apps, data and even system apps, without the need to have the device rooted.
Keep in mind this only works on Ice Cream Sandwich... So don't ask me if this will work on GB based ROMS... It WON'T.

Make sure you have a recent version of ADB on your machine, go to the developer menu, set-up a password, and then use adb with the following syntax to create a backup of your system (taken directly from ADB's help):

Code:
adb backup [-f <file>] [-apk|-noapk] [-shared|-noshared] [-all] [-system|-nosystem] [<packages...>]

-f <file> (write an archive of the device's data to <file>. If no -f option is supplied then the data is written to "backup.ab" in the current directory.)

-apk|-noapk enable/disable backup of the .apks themselves in the archive; the default is noapk.)

-shared|-noshared (enable/disable backup of the device's shared storage / SD card contents; the default is noshared.)

-all (means to back up all installed applications. This will include SD-Card backup)

-system|-nosystem (toggles whether -all automatically includes system applications; the default is to include system apps)

<packages...> (is the list of applications to be backed up.  If the -all or -shared flags are passed, then the package list is optional.  Applications explicitly g
iven on the command line will be included even if -nosystem would ordinarily cause them to be omitted.)
I hope this proves helpful to some of you...
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to madhouze For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift madhouze Ad-Free
19th April 2012, 03:47 AM |#2  
Charlotte
Thanks Meter: 7

More
This is awesome i had been wondering if google was going to release a backup tool
Thanks man
19th April 2012, 04:21 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 329

More
Don't have adb yet but I will after reading this, great find.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA
19th April 2012, 06:37 PM |#4  
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Do you know how you would go about restoring the backup once its created?
19th April 2012, 09:02 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeironer

Do you know how you would go about restoring the backup once its created?

you would also use adb to restore...
syntax:

adb restore <file>

where <file> is, of course, the name of the backup file...
27th November 2012, 03:56 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
adb requires root, however
This looks like a neat idea, however installing adb itself, requires root, making this somewhat moot.

Does anyone know of an app or method to do a full Android backup to desktop (Mac, Linux or if necessary Windows) which does not require root in any way, so I can completely factory-wipe my carrier-provided Galaxy Note II and restore it, and be back up in running in minutes?
27th November 2012, 04:12 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by desrod

This looks like a neat idea, however installing adb itself, requires root, making this somewhat moot.

Does anyone know of an app or method to do a full Android backup to desktop (Mac, Linux or if necessary Windows) which does not require root in any way, so I can completely factory-wipe my carrier-provided Galaxy Note II and restore it, and be back up in running in minutes?

ADB does NOT require root.
You are limited to the things you can do with ADB when then phone is not rooted - you will not be able to work with the system folders, but you should still be able to create the backup.
Just make sure you go to Settings > Developers Settings, and enable Android Debugging.

Let me know if it works.
The Following User Says Thank You to madhouze For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift madhouze Ad-Free
8th December 2012, 01:25 PM |#8  
Europe
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Exactly what I was looking for.
Thank You!
22nd March 2018, 01:33 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
for noobs
Just enable developer options, enable USB debug mode, create a desktop full backup password, revoke USB debug authorizations, install ADB on your PC (link below), open CMD and cd to the folder and run "adb start-server" then "adb backup -all"... it will create a backup file in that folder (mine was 200MB) called backup.ab.

https://developer.android.com/studio...orm-tools.html
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
adb, backup, desktop, how-to, no root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)