The install script has been fixed to set appropriate permissions - there should no longer be a need to manually set permissions after flashing.
This mod is not needed for ROM's which have this tweak working in Leedroid Tweaks.
Flash like you would flash any other zip. You shouldn't need to wipe cache or dalvik. Nandroid first to be safe. To uninstall, just delete the script from /system/etc/init.d with a root file explorer.
- ROM with proper init.d support
- fo0you for the idea
- whoever originally created the script that fo0you posted that gave me the idea
- Leedroid Tweaks app for being awesome and making me miss this tweak enough to create a script
- Update: just found that someone already created something very similar to this in the EVO 3D forums (I think), so even though I did this on my own all credit to him for coming up with it first
* Note: The usual caveats apply - I'm not responsible for phone death, please nandroid before flashing, etc.
<------------------------------------------------ information below this line is now mostly obsolete ------------------------------------------------>
UPDATE: This is now flashable from recovery - download dimleds-signed.zip instead of dimleds.zip
For newer Sense 4 ROM's (like Newt's OnE XxX v3.2.1 and ViperRez), there is a minor problem which requires manual intervention. After flashing the zip, you have to use a file explorer to change permissions on the script file in /system/etc/init.d (change permissions to match the permissions of the other script files in the same directory). Alternatively, you can manually copy the script from the zip to /system/etc/init.d and change the permissions. I'll try to get a fixed version up soon.
NOTE: This is no longer needed for Bored's s4 ROM (as of v2.4/2.5)
This is a quick script I threw together to dim the capacitive buttons while running Newt's OnE XxX Sense 4.0 ROM (I'm currently using it on Bored's RezROM S4). I got the idea from another post in Newt's thread (by fo0you) about a script to toggle the capacitive buttons on or off. I prefer them on, but the default brightness is way too bright for me. If you want to toggle the lights on or completely off, get the script fo0you posted. If you just want to dim them, use this one.
This is only a temporary measure until the Leedroid Tweaks app is updated for Sense 4.0 ROMs (this tweak is included in Leedroid Tweaks). This tweak already works in Leedroid Tweaks on some Sense 4.0 ROMs (I think on Joel's BAMF S4 ROM, but I could be wrong), but not others (like Newt's), hence this script. Different Sense 4.0 ROMs seem to have different tweaks working for some reason.
The flashable zip copies a script to /system/etc/init.d
- Nandroid backup (did I mention that I take no responsibility if your phone implodes, explodes, or you lose data due to this tweak?)
- Copy dimleds-signed.zip to root of external SD card
- Reboot to recovery and flash like any other flashable zip
- Reboot from recovery
- New (only for newer Sense 4 ROM's): use a file explorer to change permissions on the script in /system/etc/init.d
- New (only for newer Sense 4 ROM's): reboot
If you want to remove the tweak, just delete the 50dimleds script from /system/etc/init.d/ and reboot. You have to use a file manager like ES File Explorer or Root Explorer to do this. The leds will be automatically reset to default brightness when you reboot.