FORUMS

[ROM][ICS 4.0.3] [27.05.2012] HeroICS v3

5,661 posts
Thanks Meter: 6,450

By 1ceb0x, Senior Member on 26th April 2012, 02:31 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello,

I'm reactivating this thread since I cannot talk with samm every now and then to update the OP from this thread here.

What works:
It is stable for a daily driver but there are definitely things that doesn't work. For starters, the Hero is too small for ICS since we don't have any GPU posibility. Adreno 130 drivers are oh, too small and too bad for animations on ICS, they suck even in GB and Froyo. Still, the statusbar and fling are much smoother than other android releases because that's how ICS is built. It is more RAM friendly and it looks, well, sexy!

Will try and update this rom when it will be possible. We might jump on the bandwagon of 4.0.4 if I can make it to move faster than it moves right now (yes, I have an experimental build).

If one of you want to join me to develop this rom further, send a PM and I will send you some details about what is in the works, how far it is. I know there are few people that can work on builds here on Hero thread but if we work together, we can pull this out one more time.

FLASH THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR:
- YOUR BRAIN
- YOUR HOUSE
- YOUR PHONE!

ON with the ROM. What has been changed:

Added:
Code:
- Google Music apk (yes, official google music app);
- Explorer.apk
- Latest and greatest LV Kernel 1.2+
- Revert to Evtoolbox back from 4.0.3 builds
- Set the cpu to scale at 352-672 from startup
- Tweaked the build.prop a little (added some experimental lines)
Quote:

Why this is v3?
Because the memory management inside the kernel (remember, INSIDE THE KERNEL) is tweaked and fixed to nice values in order to allow our hero to better multitasking (you can find these values in my other rom called 1ceCream BEAST Flavor). No need for tweaks in init.d to do the job, no bullshit.
Just plain and simple!
If you are texting someone, sending an email, playing a game, doing something, and you are locking the screen, after unlocking you will find that the application is ON the screen, and is not closed how it is in many other roms for hero. The multitasking with my values is so much better, you will definitely like it!

The rom moves fast, even if it is ICS, I have the animations on and no force GPU in Developer settings and it is still moving so much fast than the older builds.

Overall, I am happy with this release and I hope you will be too! Post me some of your opinion and tell me if it is fast or am I dreaming!

Some user's feedback:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loxxy

wow 'HeroICS v3' is running on rocket power !!! what the hell

amazing job

Carrier Internet connection issue:
- Create Manual APN for provider's internet connection.

DOWNLOAD HeroICS v3
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to 1ceb0x For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 1ceb0x Ad-Free
26th April 2012, 03:11 AM |#2  
Rio de Janeiro
Thanks Meter: 20

More
If you make these changes maybe you'll see better performance, the hero can't handle dithering on anything higher than stock GB or Sense froyo and doesn't have enough RAM for 48mb of dalvik heapsize. I may be wrong but these always worked for me in the past altough ICS is supposed to be better on RAM.

dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:fast
dalvik.vm.heapsize changed to 24m or 32mb
persist.sys.use_dithering=0
26th April 2012, 04:56 AM |#3  
Inactive Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 9,418

Donate to Me
More
Good work. Flashing now.

How about keeping this as lite as possible, only the absolute essentials pre-installed, everything else as optional zips / apk. For instance, I personally have no use for the music player.

I would really like to see a bare bones, fast and stable ics rom where you just add what you need.

---------- Post added at 03:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 AM ----------

Unexpected reboot just as I was about to install Opera Mini. Followed by: "New Sim Detected, reboot required." Never seen that before.

I've applied CSL00's values.

Wonder if V6 Supercharger or Auto Memory Manager can improve things.

Play Store is noticeably faster. Unsure if was CSL00's values or the introduction of AMM.

Regarding the error message: 'No more room on this home screen.'
In Play Store app. Menu > Settings > Deselect Auto-add widgets.

Second unexpected reboot, otherwise things are getting faster. No wifi issues, BT still won't pair.

Running AMM on 'Aggressive.'
The Following User Says Thank You to lost101 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lost101 Ad-Free
26th April 2012, 07:37 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag The Earth

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSL00

If you make these changes maybe you'll see better performance, the hero can't handle dithering on anything higher than stock GB or Sense froyo and doesn't have enough RAM for 48mb of dalvik heapsize. I may be wrong but these always worked for me in the past altough ICS is supposed to be better on RAM.

dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:fast
dalvik.vm.heapsize changed to 24m or 32mb
persist.sys.use_dithering=0

dalvik execution mode was on fast until I changed it in the last second to "jit".
vm.heapsize was changed to 48 because I was testing 32 mb and I saw that it takes a little while to enter in one application. With 48 mb the time is reduced somehow. Please feel free to change it to 32 mb if you want. Dithering, well here is a mistery, I don't know if this works in ICS. It does look a little better than with it changed to 0 and my phone can suport dithering pretty well.

About the reboots, please install set cpu and set your max cpu frequency to a respectable value such as 691 or lower. I suggest using governor smartassV2.

The whole rom does feel a little snappier but we have an issue when someone calls you and after 20 seconds the call gets interrupted. I'll look into that today after work and see if I can fix it somehow.
I've tried Supercharger, the V8 doesn't wanna start on ICS and when applied V6 with option 6, the phone just got stuck on bootloop.
The reason that I've made it like this with apk.s that you can easly uninstall is that I didn't want you guys to have to flash any other optional zips or anything. But as I said, feel free to do what ever you want and uninstall those unused apps.

Oh, If you want to try supercharger yourself, you have to first delete these scripts from /etc/init.d:
03tweaks
04netspeed
05fixsdcardspeed
06loopy_smoothness_tweak
15cleanup_init_ram
16sqlite_optimize
17speedy_modified

Just to avoid any unexpected issues.

L.E:

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE, make a LOGCAT while you are in a call and save it to a txt? I want to see if we can narrow down the problem of disconnecting. I am unable to make a logcat atm.
26th April 2012, 11:39 AM |#5  

Donate to Me
More
1ceb0x, back to using your original build.prop, and Setcpu. Things seem more stable.

I'm looking for a notification toggle (cm-style) that has no icon when running (or only hides it, leaves a space.)

I will make a logcat, but I've tried aLogrec and all it seems to produce is an empty file. Should it not be dumping info on any activity I do?
26th April 2012, 12:11 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag The Earth

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost101

1ceb0x, back to using your original build.prop, and Setcpu. Things seem more stable.

I'm looking for a notification toggle (cm-style) that has no icon when running (or only hides it, leaves a space.)

I will make a logcat, but I've tried aLogrec and all it seems to produce is an empty file. Should it not be dumping info on any activity I do?

Seems stable than samm000's build.prop?
Glad to hear this.

As for the logcat, you cannot use any of the readers on the market because they will not work on ics. I've tried to make a log using android sdk but it seems that we need a file called 'main' in /dev/logs. I tried to make the file manually but then I've encountered an EOF read error on cmd. I forgot to make permissions for the respective file. Will make it again now and see how it goes.

As for cm notification toggle, I don't know what are you talking about. The notification toggle on ICS is nicer than any other available .

Tell me if you have calls issue (your call is disconnected after some seconds)?
26th April 2012, 12:24 PM |#7  

Donate to Me
More
Well it is probably more stable because I reduced the cpu speed.

In a voicecall now, 2mins+. Call lost around 3 mins.

6mins+ this time and still going...
26th April 2012, 12:30 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag The Earth

More
Quote:

Well it is probably more stable because I reduced the cpu speed.

In a voicecall now, 2mins+. Call lost around 3 mins.

Did you checked the box "Force GPU rendering" in Develop Options?
Is it stable because I've added graphical tweaks and some tweaks to speed...
26th April 2012, 12:36 PM |#9  

Donate to Me
More
Yeah, 'Force GPU rendering' is enabled. In a voicecall now, 10mins+.

I ended the call myself at 22mins.
26th April 2012, 12:44 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag The Earth

More
Quote:

Yeah, 'Force GPU rendering' is enabled. In a voicecall now, 10mins+

10 minutes without disconnecting? What's your settings on network? GSM ONLY, or WCDMA preferred?

(to see this, please go to dialer and dial *#*#4636#*#* , then go to Phone information, scroll down and you will see the value above the button "Turn Off Radio").

as default the version is WCDMA preferred. What Radio firmware are you using?
also, did you installed Habarug's tweak to hide the end button call during a call? (it's in samm000's thread).

this information will be helpful! cheers
26th April 2012, 12:58 PM |#11  

Donate to Me
More
WCDMA preferred. Radio: 63.18.55.06PU_6.35.15.11
I have not installed Habarug's tweak.
The Following User Says Thank You to lost101 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lost101 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)