By poseidon5213, Member on 26th April 2012, 05:43 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
8th August 2019, 01:46 PM |#19821  
Thanks Meter: 206

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallohallo222

Is the Xiamoi Mi 9 worth "it"?

My doings: Social Media chatting and small business, NO gaming, mby taking pictures here and there
budget: 400 EUR maximum

In short, yes

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohitR15

Note 10 or Note 10 Plus

If money isn't a issue, get the Plus it's the superior device for numerous reasons

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFbombhead

Years of Apple servitude is starting to get a little boring and I’m thinking about jumping ship. Currently have the iPhone XS Max and a Watch and whilst they are functional, I’m a bit bored.

After a little search of the most recent flagships I feel most of them have compromises, some are deal breakers. Looking forward to the Note 10 announcement later.

Got to admit, I’m a bit nervous about losing iCloud sync for messages and photos and more but I’m sure I can muscle through. Also my last toe dips into Android went badly (A note 2 with horrible UI and a Sony which used to die whilst on charge and not reboot).

But yet, here I am, looking for options and I have a list of needs and nice to haves:

Needs:
- To be new enough to get the next few major updates.
- Wireless charging.
- Google Pay ability.
- The ability to do cloud backups (not sure if this is native these days?)
- Battery life to support medium to heavy usage including using hotspot.
- To be a brand, as much as some of the Chinese makes are doing well, I like to have a support network when things go wrong.
- OLED screen.
- Android Auto (is it standard?)

Nice to haves:
- Smaller screen? I sometimes feel my XS Max is too big, but I think the days of sub 6” phones are gone for now.
- A “wow factor” feature, it’s always nice to have a party trick.
- Notchless, also not too keen how Samsung are doing the offset holepunch either.
- Ability to connect to a decent smartwatch (haven’t decided which one).

Things I care not about:
- Camera, don’t use it for anything serious.
- Where the fingerprint sensor is, it just doesn’t matter.
- Gaming, except PoGo.
- Price, I’ll pay whatever is needed for the right thing.

So where do I go? What do I have to sacrifice?

Get a Galaxy Note 9, it's perfect for you based from your needs, you're basically sacrificing absolutely nothing you mentioned..

8th August 2019, 03:31 PM |#19822  
Flag Puerto Princesa City
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Quote:

Years of Apple servitude is starting to get a little boring and I’m thinking about jumping ship. Currently have the iPhone XS Max and a Watch and whilst they are functional, I’m a bit bored.

After a little search of the most recent flagships I feel most of them have compromises, some are deal breakers. Looking forward to the Note 10 announcement later.

Got to admit, I’m a bit nervous about losing iCloud sync for messages and photos and more but I’m sure I can muscle through. Also my last toe dips into Android went badly (A note 2 with horrible UI and a Sony which used to die whilst on charge and not reboot).

But yet, here I am, looking for options and I have a list of needs and nice to haves:

Needs:

- To be new enough to get the next few major updates.

- Wireless charging.

- Google Pay ability.

- The ability to do cloud backups (not sure if this is native these days?)

- Battery life to support medium to heavy usage including using hotspot.

- To be a brand, as much as some of the Chinese makes are doing well, I like to have a support network when things go wrong.

- OLED screen.

- Android Auto (is it standard?)

Nice to haves:

- Smaller screen? I sometimes feel my XS Max is too big, but I think the days of sub 6” phones are gone for now.

- A “wow factor” feature, it’s always nice to have a party trick.

- Notchless, also not too keen how Samsung are doing the offset holepunch either.

- Ability to connect to a decent smartwatch (haven’t decided which one).

Things I care not about:

- Camera, don’t use it for anything serious.

- Where the fingerprint sensor is, it just doesn’t matter.

- Gaming, except PoGo.

- Price, I’ll pay whatever is needed for the right thing.

So where do I go? What do I have to sacrifice?

The S9+ fits your requirement almost to the "T". It's just that the OS upgrade would be limited to Android R most probably and no more. Samsung usually updates just 2 OS and maybe another one for their flagship phone.

Even the S9 would be great if you really want a smaller phone but battery life would be lower than it's big brother.

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk
8th August 2019, 08:20 PM |#19823  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thanks guys, I think I’m going for the S10 512Gb. I get a substantial discount with the forces veterans card and it seems to fit almost everything I want. Would have liked the pixel 3 but can’t find it cheap in the UK and not keen on it only having 128Gb max.
9th August 2019, 07:42 AM |#19824  

More
Quote:

Thanks guys, I think I’m going for the S10 512Gb. I get a substantial discount with the forces veterans card and it seems to fit almost everything I want. Would have liked the pixel 3 but can’t find it cheap in the UK and not keen on it only having 128Gb max.

Great choice. It is the latest afterall so minimum of 2 OS update with possible 3 with the way competition is challenging Samsung now.

13th August 2019, 08:45 PM |#19825  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
For sure Xiaomi mi9
14th August 2019, 01:05 PM |#19826  
Flag Louisville
Thanks Meter: 857

Donate to Me
More
Undecided, I have the pixel 3 xl now. It's from Verizon so it is locked down so I can't do anything with it.
Yesterday, 05:26 AM |#19827  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Hi folks,

I'm looking into getting a smartphone that replaces my cracked P10 Plus.
At the meantime, I'm using my Mom's Mi A2 lite - which is awesome in terms of size but the camera and performance are crappy.

The main way I'm picking a phone is by the following aspects:
MUST: not higher than 150mm - the Mi A2 lite is 147 - sweet!

1. Good camera
2. Audio jack and SD-card extension ability
3. Good usability

looking at the smartphone list, the only one that answers it with the limitation of 300 USD mark is the HONOR 10.
Before buying it, any idea which other phones should I look at?

Thanks

---------- Post added at 05:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 AM ----------

Hi folks,

At the meantime, I'm using my Mom's Mi A2 lite - which is awesome in terms of size but the camera and performance are crappy.

1. Good camera
3. Good usability

looking at the smartphone list, the only one that answers it with the limitation of 300 USD mark is the HONOR 10.

Thanks
Today, 04:19 PM |#19828  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForMartha

Hi folks,

1. Good camera
3. Good usability

Thanks

---------- Post added at 05:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 AM ----------

Hi folks,

1. Good camera

3. Good usability

Thanks

Check the Nokia 7.1 phone. It fits your requirements well imho. Definitely better than Xiaomi.

Today, 05:26 PM |#19829  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdT21

Check the Nokia 7.1 phone. It fits your requirements well imho. Definitely better than Xiaomi.

it looks great. however, the only drawback is the old processor (636 vs. 625 which I have).
but overall, taht's the phone I'd like to get just with better specs..
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)