FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

T-mobile One S Bloatware Removal

14 posts
Thanks Meter: 4

By Ysleiro, Junior Member on 27th April 2012, 10:20 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I will list the Apps I felt were bloat and subsequently either disabled or removed all together.

I will also discuss how I got Mobile Life Contacts to go "EFF" itself (in other words, I actually disabled it). Anybody that owns the phone should know how hard this is.

I'm interested in finding out how T-Mobile Name ID can be removed and or disabled. If anybody knows how to disable the POS that is T-Mobile Name ID please share the solution.

Blatant Bloat:
1) 411 & More
2) Bonus Apps
3) Game Base
4) HTCDB-XXX (languages for keyboard)
5) Mobile Hotspot (I realize this app is for tethering but it's bloat because this should be free)
8) MobileLife Contacts *** More on this below
9) More for Me
10) My T-Mobile (talk about worthless, this kind of stuff should be removable!)
11) T-Mobile Mall
12) T-Mobile TV
13) Visual Voicemail (thanks but NO THANKS T-Mobile, Google offers this for free)
14) Watch
15) Zinio (UTTER GARBAGE)

Potential Bloat:
1) Facebook
2) Flickr
3) Google Play Movies
4) Google+
5) Slacker
6) Twitter

While I can appreciate T-Mobile having initiative, not everybody has accounts or is interested in using these social networks or services. It would be nice if the phone allowed us to simply REMOVE what we do not wish to use.

***Mobile Life Contacts***
The phone normally tells you this app is being used by other apps and as such a factory reset is required. I PERSONALLY reset my device about 5 freaking times today and each time the app would tell me I need to do a factory reset. After that I decided to disable (not REMOVE) all messaging and contacts app to see if it would then budge. It didn't. I got EXTREMELY upset and decided I would apply a "scorched earth method". I disabled EVERY SINGLE thing that I could from the As down to the Ms until I got to MobileLife contacts. At which point I checked the app and the "Disable" button was no longer grayed out.

I realize this is tedious, but I'm pretty sure you don't have to scorch the Earth as I did. Just disable stuff alphabetically starting from the As and keep checking to see if the app can be disabled. Also I'm pretty sure you don't have to disable the HTCDB-XXX stuff as I did.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ysleiro For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ysleiro Ad-Free

27th April 2012, 11:38 PM |#2  
Flag Memphis
Thanks Meter: 221

More
Don't forget Where's My Water. That's a bloat game they installed.
28th April 2012, 01:26 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Have you noticed any adverse effects on the phone's behavior?

I just went and disabled most of these myself, but for me it's too soon to tell.
28th April 2012, 02:24 AM |#4  
Chicago
Thanks Meter: 1,402

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by horatiopositronic

Have you noticed any adverse effects on the phone's behavior?

I just went and disabled most of these myself, but for me it's too soon to tell.

There is no adverse effect unless you actually use the services.
28th April 2012, 06:23 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 218

More
I just removed every single Sense widget and app out there (and all entries associated with them) + all bloat etc....so far so good...1st boot was on "Updating" OS screen for a while....
28th April 2012, 06:34 AM |#6  
Chicago
Thanks Meter: 1,402

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolyan

I just removed every single Sense widget and app out there (and all entries associated with them) + all bloat etc....so far so good...1st boot was on "Updating" OS screen for a while....

The updating OS screen is just the system rebuilding caches for apps. Nothing to worry about.
29th April 2012, 03:27 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 206

More
Man! I can't stand bloatware on T-Mobile ver. Thanks for the list. I uninstalled some of them.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using XDA
29th April 2012, 09:33 AM |#8  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 370

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshnichols189

There is no adverse effect unless you actually use the services.

My service kept cutting out while I had these apps disabled. I had to bring them back from the grave.

Edit: My problem is just the damn phone itself. It loses connection like crazy! However, removing T-Mobile Highlight seems to make it worse!

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using xda premium
29th April 2012, 01:53 PM |#9  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 351

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan3579

My service kept cutting out while I had these apps disabled. I had to bring them back from the grave.

do you have more info regarding this? there're no side effects as far as i can see.
29th April 2012, 04:13 PM |#10  
Flag Collinsville
Thanks Meter: 172

More
This is one of the first things I did once I was rooted. I noticed that If you freeze/uninstall the visual voicemail. you will get a error when you receive a voicemail.
29th April 2012, 04:45 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 50

More
Where is the disable function ? I always used tb to remove bloat.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium HD app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)