FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

USB question

880 posts
Thanks Meter: 100

By mtmerrick, Senior Member on 28th April 2012, 03:22 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
In the last few days dad got an Archos 80 G9 Tubo - yes, i helped him pick it out :P . i also spent a couple days with it playing with it and setting it up.

One of the things she wants to do is plug in a USB stick, but the port on the back is almost unusable for anything because its so close to the silver plate inside - there's simply not enough clearance. The one cable he was able to push into it (the cable from his iPod classic) bent the port at such an angle i was worried it was going to break.

WITHOUT ROOTING (i tried rooting his X2, that went over like a ton of bricks) is there a way to use either a USB on the go cable, or a super-slim USB extension cord (if it exists) to make a full sized USB port available to him?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

10th May 2012, 07:08 PM |#2  
Flag Central Oregon
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Hello,
There are 3 ways that I'm able to attach a full-size USB flash-drive stick into my Archos 80 G9 Classic:

(1) using the micro-USB port with this USB-female-to-micro-USB-male adapter works for me when I want to attach any "fat" full-size USB stick (search for product #B006XL26TS on Amazon);

(2) using the full-size-USB port without an adapter - this thin USB flash drive can attach to that weird angle full-size USB port with ease without using any adapter (search for product #B003DTLWHU on Amazon);

(3) using the full-size-USB port with a corded adapter that looks like this but not exactly this particular model (search for product #B001TH7GV4 on Amazon) - I don't remember where I got this adapter but it fits fine in that full-size USB port and I can attach any "fat" full-size USB stick...

Sorry I couldn't post the direct links since I don't have enough posts. Good luck.
13th May 2012, 09:06 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Merced/San Diego
Thanks Meter: 100

More
thanks a lot.
i was thinking something like #3, i'd love to find a super-slim extension cable.
20th January 2013, 08:58 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
i use an ordinary usb cable i made fit using a cutter knife. this works quite well.
5th February 2013, 07:01 PM |#5  
Westerlee
Thanks Meter: 46

More
I use a stripped usb stick, by removing the casing from the stick.
9th March 2013, 12:59 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Hi, i am using this:
And enabling 3g
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0105.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	1791441  
9th February 2014, 11:10 PM |#7  

More
is the slot for the 80 smaller than the 101, my 101 has no problems with standard usb cables. my problem is that things like keyboards and mice that need more power will not work work but my thumbdrives do
10th February 2014, 12:17 AM |#8  
Westerlee
Thanks Meter: 46

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by unasoto

is the slot for the 80 smaller than the 101, my 101 has no problems with standard usb cables. my problem is that things like keyboards and mice that need more power will not work work but my thumbdrives do

The slots are the same, but if they give the same amount of current i don't know.
I I know from my 80 that a old school mouse worked, but the mouse what i have now doesnt.
13th February 2014, 07:45 PM |#9  

More
ok tried these

2 usb thumb drives both worked
logitech mx 518 mouse didnt work
USB Key Board didnt work

Tried both thumbdrives with a 4 port hub and didn't work. expected that, now I need to find a battery powered usb hub anyone recommend one
15th February 2014, 11:34 PM |#10  

More
I did some googlefu looking for battery powered USB hubs and found a bunch of them but most are for charging I was looking for one with data also. then I found THIS the hub hes useing is the same as one I already have I have a dead coby tablet that has a 5v battery in it that I can use. just a thought has anyone used a external battery to charge their tab and do you get slow charge or fast?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)