FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] adb in Win7 (x64, maybe others)

774 posts
Thanks Meter: 350

By arpruss, Senior Member on 28th April 2012, 03:15 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I had a lot of trouble getting the adb drivers on my work Win7 x64 laptop working. Here's what seems to have done the trick.

1. Pull up a commandline, go to Documents and Settings\username\.android directory, and do
Code:
echo 0x04e8 >> adb_usb.ini
if you haven't done so already.

2. Install KIES. (Downloading the separate driver package didn't work--the driver package refused to install.)

3. Set device in adb mode (Settings | Applications | Development | USB debugging(x)).

4. Plug device into computer. You will get a tray icon with stuff spinning. Click on it. If things go fine, you'll eventually see a list of drivers with "Ready to use" and green checkmarks.

If all the drivers have checkmarks, you're done--you had it easy. This guide is for cases like mine where you find that two drivers, "CDC Serial" and "SAMSUNG_Android" are labeled "No driver found" and adb doesn't work.

5. Right-click on My Computer, choose Properties, then "Device Manager". Expand "Other devices".

6. Right-click on "SAMSUNG_Android".

7. Choose "Update driver software" | "Browse my computer for driver software" | "Let me pick from a list".

8. Make sure "Show All Devices" is selected and click on "Next".

9. Click on "Have Disk" and type in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Samsung\USB Drivers\25_escape" (auto complete made it easier to type; if you have 32-bit windows, the " (x86)" should be omitted).

10. You will get a two-pane selection of the drivers. Selecting one of the two "SAMSUNG Electronics Co., Ltd." listings (you may need to look through both) in the left pane gives an option list on the right that includes two "SAMSUNG Android ADB Interface".

11. Choose the first "SAMSUNG Android ADB Interface" and click on "Next". You will get a warning that Windows cannot verify compatibility. Accept this. Windows will install the driver and once it's done you'll click on "Close".

12. Windows installed the driver and ADB started working. (If it didn't start working, I would now have gone back to the Device Manager, right clicked on "SAMSUNG Android ADB Interface", and then redid steps 7-11, but this time with the other "SAMSUNG Android ADB Interface" driver.)

This is enough to get adb working. But it's still probably worth fixing the CDC Serial device.

13. Repeat steps 7-11 in the Device Manager with the "CDC Serial" device now, except that instead of the ADB driver you will look for and install "Samsung Mobile USB CDC Composite Device" in the right pane in steps 10-11.

If all goes well, you will get more spinning stuff in the task bar, and eventually Device Manager doesn't show any devices in "Other devices" with yellow triangles. But if things go for you like they did for me, you'll have "CDC Abstract Control Model (ACM) in "Other devices".

14. Repeat steps 7-9 in the Device Manager with the "CDC Abstract Control Model (ACM)" device now. (You may have some USB Modem options showing up in some places, but I ignored those, and did the same "Have Disk" move as before.)

15. I got a single-pane display showing only "SAMSUNG Mobile USB Modem". (Maybe you'll have two-pane display and you'll have to find it as in steps 10-11.) Select it and click "Next". I didn't get any warnings. Windows will install the driver and once it's done you'll click on "Close".

At this point, Device Manager showed all devices correctly functioning. And "adb shell" worked fine.

16. If you don't want KIES, just uninstall it, but make sure not to uninstall the drivers (the KIES uninstaller will ask).
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to arpruss For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift arpruss Ad-Free

26th June 2012, 09:10 PM |#2  
Developer Committee / Moderator Committee / Recognized Developer - xxxda-developers Founder
Flag Oxnard, CA Likes: Los Angeles Lakers Dislikes: Heavy petting zoos
Thanks Meter: 2,171

Donate to Me
More
Man, thank you so much. I was going crazy with this. Worked for my T-mobile SGS3.
One thing that's not mentioned, after I fixed the ADB and the CDC driver, it threw an error in the MTP device, I just let Winblows install that one automatically and it worked fine.
26th June 2012, 11:27 PM |#3  
Flag Buffalo NY
Thanks Meter: 92

More
There is less steps needed,i got my ADB working in Windows 8 64bit RC1 developer preview flawlessly.
Just disable driver signature,install sdk,add sdk folder to windows environment and you are done.
27th June 2012, 12:07 AM |#4  
Flag Fresno, CA
Thanks Meter: 501

More
nice. I didn't have any problems with mine, just sayin. Its always nice to see people help each other.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
19th October 2012, 05:58 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Worked perfectly on my PC and the Kies could see the phone as well (GT-I9100).

Thanks again !!
19th October 2012, 06:37 AM |#6  
Flag Phoenix, Arizona
Thanks Meter: 2,538

More
Longest ADB guide I've ever seen.

Sent from my sph-d710 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to Mattix724 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mattix724 Ad-Free
5th June 2013, 05:34 AM |#7  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Holyoke
Thanks Meter: 6,343

Donate to Me
More
Thanks for this!
5th March 2014, 03:16 AM |#8  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 153

More
Great guide man! Helped solving some driver issues with Windows 8.1 and Note 3, particularly installing the SAMSUNG_android adb device manually!

Thank you very much!
26th August 2016, 05:49 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
I thought I would never find a tutorial like that, it saved my life lol. Thank you so much!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)