FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] SIM asks for PIN multiple times during day

n/a posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By Slaytanic, Guest on 28th April 2012, 07:42 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,
I have a problem with my HTC one x.. I have a pin set on the SIM card which I enter as soon as I power on the phone... The problem is that sometimes I unblock the phone to use it and I find it one the PIN screen, as if the SIM was reset... Does it happen to any of you? May it be a software bug or a hardware bug related to the SIM tray? I've written to the support to notify the problem and make them consider it for future fw releases and they answered me telling me how to remove the PIN from the phone O_o
It is quite annoying since if you do not unblock the phone you risk to miss some calls and sms if the SIM gets blocked... I hope I won't need to send it to HTC...

I've just published my first android application, SIM Locked Notifier, which enables you to activate a ringtone or vibration (or both) when PIN/PUK is required. In this way you avoid missing calls or messages when your phone is out of the network, waiting for a PIN.

Get SIM Locked Notifier on Google Play!

I hope you find it useful, yesterday it warned me two times about this PIN issue (I'm happy because my app works, but I'm worried about this issue... hope they solve it soon).

The app is not heavy, it does nothing until the SIM State changed broadcast event is fired and the state is PIN/PUK required.

REMEMBER: run the app at least once after installation to enable the SIM Locked Notifier monitor. You must do this only once after installation, then it works even after a reboot.

28th April 2012, 07:45 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 56

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaytanic

Hi,
I have a problem with my HTC one x.. I have a pin set on the SIM card which I enter as soon as I power on the phone... The problem is that sometimes I unblock the phone to use it and I find it one the PIN screen, as if the SIM was reset... Does it happen to any of you? May it be a software bug or a hardware bug related to the SIM tray? I've written to the support to notify the problem and make them consider it for future fw releases and they answered me telling me how to remove the PIN from the phone O_o
It is quite annoying since if you do not unblock the phone you risk to miss some calls and sms if the SIM gets blocked... I hope I won't need to send it to HTC...

Inviato dal mio HTC One X con Tapatalk 2

Just a question to be sure: you aren't putting the device in "Flyplane Mode" right ? Because that makes the device lose all signal and requires to re-enter the pin code on activating.

Nevertheless this could be some kind of signal issue or an issue with the sim. Did you perhaps cut the micro-sim by yourself ? If so you could try to get a new one or try the sim card of a friend to see if that one works.

If none of the above is possible just try a hard reset (not a factory reset) and remove the sim card, check for any kind of dust or damage and plug it back in.

If problem continues I'd go back to your store and ask them if they know what to do.
Slaytanic
28th April 2012, 08:56 PM |#3  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Cim

Just a question to be sure: you aren't putting the device in "Flyplane Mode" right ? Because that makes the device lose all signal and requires to re-enter the pin code on activating.

Nevertheless this could be some kind of signal issue or an issue with the sim. Did you perhaps cut the micro-sim by yourself ? If so you could try to get a new one or try the sim card of a friend to see if that one works.

If none of the above is possible just try a hard reset (not a factory reset) and remove the sim card, check for any kind of dust or damage and plug it back in.

If problem continues I'd go back to your store and ask them if they know what to do.

No, it was not in airplane mode.. I've cut the sim at the beginning and after I noticed this problem I've bought a new micro SIM.. sure the bad signal is a problem where I work, which is the place where I've experienced the problem more times.. how is a hard reset done? Do I loose my data? Thanks

29th April 2012, 09:37 PM |#4  
Flag Florence
Thanks Meter: 2

More
The same happens to my phone. 5 minutes ago, while having no signal, but using wi fi, my phone asked pin code. i have a 3 micro sim, not a cut one
29th April 2012, 09:49 PM |#5  
Flag Constanta
Thanks Meter: 58

More
Beware this is a great problem.My wife had a Nokia E63 if i remember good and she had the same problem with it.Several times a day the phone asked her to enter the PIN.When she got the phone to Nokia they gave her a new one because the motherboard was faulty and it kinda makes sense because the sim reader is attached to the motherboard and the only way you can fix it is to get a new motherboard.Get your phone to repair immediately.
29th April 2012, 10:05 PM |#6  
Flag Florence

More
i don't think is an hardware issue. it does not happen every day and only staying for a long time without signal. i think i is the radio software. in fact it happens after installing ota update
1st May 2012, 08:16 PM |#7  
Flag Tržič

More
Hello,

don't blame me for my first post. Exactly the same problem happens to me also. HTC ONE x updated 2 days ago and if phone gets to an area of no signal it askes for PIN again.
Simobil (Vodafone) in Slovenia
Slaytanic
1st May 2012, 08:40 PM |#8  

More
I've updated this morning to 1.29, let's see if it solves the problem.. btw today I've noticed that if it looses signal because there is bad signal in the area, sometimes when you exit that area it keeps saying that there is no signal.. swimching to 2g+3g from 2g only or vice versa it makes it reconnect to the cellular network.. these seem some sort of radio bugs...

Slaytanic
2nd May 2012, 03:41 PM |#9  

More
It happened again, where signal was bad, even on fw 1.29

5th May 2012, 08:54 AM |#10  
Flag Moscow

More
Same here
Have the same problem, only without PIN (I have not enabled it). So the phone loses signal (it's pretty weak), and then just hangs in 'no network' mode.

Also when starting up, I often see 'preparing SIM' message, and SIM application (SIM Tools or something like that) is 'unavailable' when I try to run it.

I'll try to find out if it depends on provider, but my Desire with the same provider works just fine right here side-to-side with OneX.

Hope it's a software bug, not hardware - I've bought my OneX on Clove with shipping to Russia, it'll take time to ship it back for repair or replace, and official service centers here will not take my phone, I think
Slaytanic
15th May 2012, 08:20 AM |#11  

More
Cool SIM Locked Notifier app on Google Play market
I've just published my first android application, SIM Locked Notifier, which enables you to activate a ringtone or vibration (or both) when PIN/PUK is required.
In this way you avoid missing calls or messages when your phone is out of the network, waiting for a PIN.

Get SIM Locked Notifier on Google Play!

I hope you find it useful, yesterday it warned me two times about this PIN issue (I'm happy because my app works, but I'm worried about this issue... hope they solve it soon).

The app is not heavy, it does nothing until the SIM State changed broadcast event is fired and the state is PIN/PUK required.

REMEMBER: run the app at least once after installation to enable the SIM Locked Notifier monitor. You must do this only once after installation, then it works even after a reboot.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)