FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] R1 and R2 ports on back of phone.

n/a posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By lmftmf, Guest on 29th April 2012, 12:18 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
There are two ports labeled R1 and R2 underneath the battery cover. Was wondering what they were for?
29th April 2012, 08:04 PM |#2  
Flag Victoria B.C.
Thanks Meter: 92

Donate to Me
More
Do NOT put anything in there, they are you antenna receivers, you'll lose signal forever if you do

Sent from my SGH-I727R using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to denenatse For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift denenatse Ad-Free
1st February 2013, 09:38 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 207

Donate to Me
More
Does that mean, in theory, you could have a case with an improved, built in antenna that replaces the backplate and plugs into these ports?
Why would such ports be there?
2nd February 2013, 01:45 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 49

More
Re: [Q] R1 and R2 ports on back of phone.
Yes in theory; you can use external antennas too.
2nd February 2013, 02:03 AM |#5  
Recognized Contributor
Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 5,481

Donate to Me
More
Tin foil works great. Just have to properly shape it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda app-developers app
2nd February 2013, 03:10 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 49

More
Umm, it is more the length then shape (no that's what she said comments) . Depending on the frequency you are trying to rx/tx. Shape is more for capturing or redirecting like a dish/reflector.
6th February 2013, 07:47 AM |#7  
Texas
Thanks Meter: 99

More
The way cell phone antennas work putting anything in those ports could actually cause worse reception then improving it. I read an article on the internet about lengths etc. I had the nexus s and rigged up an antenna made of paper clips at work put it in the port and it actually seemed to work fine untill I removed it. Then id get no service. Come to find out I damage the internal antenna. Samsung repaired it for a fee sold it online then I got this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
8th February 2013, 12:20 AM |#8  
Flag Jacksonville
Thanks Meter: 70

Donate to Me
More
RF modulates in a way that would be very hard to recreate with foil... this would cause worse reception... each frequency requires separate antenna size if you will... if you look at the att website under mobile hotspots they have proper external antennas for sale if you want to use one for inside the office or something...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda app-developers app
1st November 2013, 12:26 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
ok ive been told if you live somewhere like myself were signal is booming one place and dead another, that placing 2 small wires which ive done in the rf port holes would take the decibal levels to a longer receiver time. ie before i did the small wires -75 db after the small wires -135 and i have service places i didnt before. just my two cents.
11th October 2014, 08:47 AM |#10  
Flag Jacksonville, FL
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziffler

ok ive been told if you live somewhere like myself were signal is booming one place and dead another, that placing 2 small wires which ive done in the rf port holes would take the decibal levels to a longer receiver time. ie before i did the small wires -75 db after the small wires -135 and i have service places i didnt before. just my two cents.

I know this post is old and i'm waking the dead but I couldnt let this go. -75db is much better then -135db. Yes, the higher the number the better, but these are negative numbers (-75 is a higher number than -135) At -135db, you basically have no signal. -100db seems to be about the magic spot. Greater then -100 (IE -100 to -50) is a pretty good signal. Lower then -100 (IE -100 to -135) and you will have dropped calls and such)

If you switch back and forth from the text signal to the symbols to see how it corresponds, you'll see what i'm talking about.

Also you will absolutely lose your internal antenna if you muck around with the ports. Will need to remove them and solder a bridge in place to get it back.

(I do microsoldering and repair cell phones for a living)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mordant80 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mordant80 Ad-Free
19th February 2016, 04:34 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Do an internet search for MS705-FMEM-174. It will bring up quite a few patchlead options (all from one supplier which which I have no connection, commercial or otherwise). Note that for the Samsung S2 4G i9210 model, there is an explanation of the R1 and R2 sockets: because the 4G uses two connections in parallel to double the connection capacity, it requires two antennas to work fully. R1 is the general antenna connection for a single connection (3G and one 4G), R2 is the additional connection for a second 4G antenna. I've taken the warnings about permanent damage to heart and have NOT tried to use either socket. An internet search for MS147 will bring up other suppliers.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)