FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TOOL] Tickle My Android - Decompile & Recompile With Ease

6,668 posts
Thanks Meter: 8,481

By Ticklefish, Recognized Themer on 3rd May 2012, 04:15 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from Ticklefish: Version 16.1 Now Available!
30th September 2019, 10:55 PM |#7851  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsadiver

See post 7843

That link is infected with Trojan:Win32/Tiggre!plock

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticklefish

I'm having some trouble with the download tab for some unknown reason. I've just uploaded the file again and it seems to be working. So far, anyway..

The counter has reset but still error 404. Also, the other version you uploaded to the other site is being flagged as having Trojan:Win32/Tiggre!plock.
1st October 2019, 03:37 AM |#7852  

More
Quote:

This is annoying. I can't recompile this with apktool 2.4.0 or the recent 2.4.1 snapshot. It's not the APK's fault - I'm getting an conflict caused by the presence of 32-bit Java on my PC. Which is the work PC so I can't do anything about it. Damn.

So I had to try this with apktool_2.3.4.jar. This resulted in a new APK with a curious "/res" folder..

The original is on the left and the new APK is on the right. The suffixes denoting different version numbers (-v17, -v21,etc) has gone. Which means the "/layout-v16" folder seems to have merged with the "/layout" folder.
I wouldn't be surprised if this causes a problem in installation..but I don't know if that happens with the more recent versions of apktool. So the issue might not be related to this at all.

It's worth opening the original and recompiled APK files in 7z and just visually comparing the two. There will always be some minor size differences but the same folders and files should be in both.

Ok, I had a chance to do this and gather some information.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.png
Views:	162
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	4832363

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.png
Views:	166
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	4832367

Steps taken:

1) Decompiled using Tickle My Android with Standard options
2) Recompiled using Tickle My Android with Advanced options seen in photo #1.
3) Compared the original .apk and the recompiled .apk. The following differences were noted (photo #2):
- Change in packed size to kotlin, lib, and META-INF folders
- Change in packed size to AndroidManifest.xml
- Change in size and packed size to res folder
- Change in size and packed size to classes.dex
- Change in size and packed size to classes2.dex
- Change in size and packed size to resources.arsc
4) App will not install. logcat states it's a certificate issue.

If I recompile and turn OFF 1 - Copy Original "AndroidManifest.xml" And "META-INF" Folder and turn ON 5 - Sign With New Key, I can get the app to properly install.
The Following User Says Thank You to n0c7 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift n0c7 Ad-Free
2nd October 2019, 03:53 PM |#7853  
Thanks Meter: 475

More
@Ticklefish hi
Link of last version was broken.
3rd October 2019, 10:43 AM |#7854  
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0c7

That link is infected with Trojan:Win32/Tiggre!plock

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

The counter has reset but still error 404. Also, the other version you uploaded to the other site is being flagged as having Trojan:Win32/Tiggre!plock.

(I'm not normally one to put GIF's in my posts but this just encapsulates my feelings perfectly..)

I've uploaded the file to my AndroidFileHost account for now: https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=1899786940962600106

This is only a temporary thing as it's so much easier for me to upload to the downloads tab. I've reported the issue and hopefully it'll be working soon..
3rd October 2019, 03:16 PM |#7855  
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0c7

Ok, I had a chance to do this and gather some information.

Attachment 4832363

Attachment 4832367

Steps taken:

1) Decompiled using Tickle My Android with Standard options
2) Recompiled using Tickle My Android with Advanced options seen in photo #1.
3) Compared the original .apk and the recompiled .apk. The following differences were noted (photo #2):
- Change in packed size to kotlin, lib, and META-INF folders
- Change in packed size to AndroidManifest.xml
- Change in size and packed size to res folder
- Change in size and packed size to classes.dex
- Change in size and packed size to classes2.dex
- Change in size and packed size to resources.arsc
4) App will not install. logcat states it's a certificate issue.

If I recompile and turn OFF 1 - Copy Original "AndroidManifest.xml" And "META-INF" Folder and turn ON 5 - Sign With New Key, I can get the app to properly install.

Interesting. Using the original META-INF folder shouldn't stop it from installing. Although I know that apktool's dev is due to remove the option soon.

Oh well, at least you can get it running now. Thanks for letting me know!
3rd October 2019, 05:25 PM |#7856  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Hey @Ticklefish how apk zip recompiling is handled? I found .png and .jpg archived with deflate, which there's no need of (being those filetypes already de facto compressed), while resources.arsc as store, which on the other hand could deflate nicely.
Some deflated packed .pngs are even slighty bigger than original, due to compression overhead.
3rd October 2019, 07:45 PM |#7857  

More
Quote:

Interesting. Using the original META-INF folder shouldn't stop it from installing. Although I know that apktool's dev is due to remove the option soon.

Oh well, at least you can get it running now. Thanks for letting me know!

If you need me to test anything else let me know. Cheers!
The Following User Says Thank You to n0c7 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift n0c7 Ad-Free
4th October 2019, 12:41 PM |#7858  
Quote:
Originally Posted by jututt

Hey @Ticklefish how apk zip recompiling is handled? I found .png and .jpg archived with deflate, which there's no need of (being those filetypes already de facto compressed), while resources.arsc as store, which on the other hand could deflate nicely.
Some deflated packed .pngs are even slighty bigger than original, due to compression overhead.

This is down to the way that apktool itself works, not TMA. The "resources.arsc" file in the olden days had to be at store levels of compression or the resulting APK wouldn't install. I don't think it's such an issue now but I could be wrong.
As for the image files, you can change this yourself if needed. When the APK is recompiled, the individual files are stored in the "_working\appname.apk\build\" folder. There's nothing to stop you from manually putting them into the new APK at whatever compression rate you wish. As far as I'm aware that won't cause any problems with the app.
7th October 2019, 05:06 PM |#7859  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
I edited the generated apktool.yml in parent dir, it has a 'do not compress' section, I removed - arsc and added - png, bingo!
The Following User Says Thank You to jututt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jututt Ad-Free
17th October 2019, 07:12 PM |#7860  
Flag Toulouse
Thanks Meter: 232

More
@Ticklefish, after I dowloaded your latest tool version (v16.1) and double clicked on it, it seems I haven't any .exe file but a .bat file.
What am I supposed to do with that plz ?

Thx for answer !
The Following User Says Thank You to Tagdu17 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Tagdu17 Ad-Free
Yesterday, 09:16 AM |#7861  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagdu17

@Ticklefish, after I dowloaded your latest tool version (v16.1) and double clicked on it, it seems I haven't any .exe file but a .bat file.
What am I supposed to do with that plz ?

Thx for answer !

Just run it. It'll load up the correct EXE file.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ticklefish For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ticklefish Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
apktool, decompile, recompile, smali, xml

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)