Ended up with a hboot which should have been for a desire a8181 as one of these blackrose hboots on a htc desire a8181
Been trying to get rid without success - neither nexus or desire-s pc blackrose interacting with the phones blackrose, and the phones blackrose blocking all atempts to update hboot which was with a 120 cache !! *(nothing like as described when I flashed it)
Short while ago flashed the 'standard sense hboot from page 1 here (250/40/xxx.) without failure being reported
and despite 4ext claiming no change to partitions,
blackrose on phone fastboot page said - custom 250 etc - so apparently did it.
NOW nexus PC end of blackrose will interact with blackrose on desire and blackrose skip gets the menu.
Selected 2 - disable hboot protect, and it say OK - no protection till next boot - be carefull
YAYYYY thinks I
Flashed what should be a 'normal' bravo hboot thinking goodbye blackrose
Partition size has changed on blackrose fastboot usb line, and blackrose line is still there at top of phones fastboot usb screen
4ext STILL reports 145/120/171 partitions despite blackrose 1 liner saying otherwise after
So I actually appear to have a (at least partially) working blackrose on a htc desire a8181. Can install rom and they seem to be working OK
4ext recovery seems partially screwed up although it will flash roms and wipe partitions 9apparently) - but 4ext 'info' seems wrong
So I'm clearly missing something in getting blackrose off this phone which it should never have been on in the first place - although someone has clearly put one of these patched roms up in the 'normal' HTC desire hboots.
Just ran blackrose editor (nexus version) - ok
Then blackrose skip - uninstall - its gone
So in summary
ALL AT YOUR OWN CHOICE AND RISK OF COURSE
Looks like someone has shared a blackrose hboot as a 'normal' HTC desire hboot (possibly nexus/desire-s and others too). When the hboot is installed onto a desire a8181 it seems to actually manage to 'install' a corrupted blackrose, but the hboot protection works very well.
You will probably not know this has happened - just thinking you buggered up a hboot install.
When installed in my case it reports via 4ext recovery info 145/120(cache)/171 partition sizes (which it certainly isnt described as) and which might not be accurately reported.
You can see the black 'blackrose line on the phones bootloader/fastboot screen although you may not initially notice it as you were not expecting any 'blackrose' or anything like that installed.
- the blackrose install process MAY corrupt 4ext recovery (MAY)
As The blackrose 'on' the hboot would appear to be corrupted.
Neither desire-s or nexus PC blackrose parts interact with the 'corrupted' blackrose on the phone. This may be at least in part because its not a supported phone, and some traps in the code refuse to talk to the phone.
You cant install anything (it would seem) to get rid of it - except
Due to the reported partition sizes, I installed - via 4ext recovery one of the small footprint cw roms with terminal etc already on - just in case.
I installed one of the blackrose hboots from page 1 here (extract image from zip and flash via fastboot) which seems to 'sort out'/install a working blackrose - even on the desire incredible a8181.
Although 4ext recovery still reported the old partion size, BUT bootloader screen reported changed partitions (under the top black blackrose line).
You can then run the nexus blackrose (blackrose_120421.zip install per instructions and start with phone connected via usb with debugging enabled
- phone up and running NOT at bootloader/fastboot
In command prompt in blackrose folder (extracted from zip) safe test with
you should get the editor start up with a message
Just enter until it exits with nothing changed
Then if all ok type
Which should bring up the blackrose menu without the error trapped install process
- Where you can temporarily remove hboot protection (until reboot) and install any hboot (but which WILL NOT (in my case) remove blackrose),
or select uninstall blackrose by selecting the appropriate number (even on the a8181 which it APPARENTLY SHOULDN'T RUN ON)
this process will work for everyone having problems with blackrose - but its all at your own risk of course.
Took two days - with the first day wondering what the hell happened until I spotted the blackrose message on the bootloader screen. Good job I remembered reading a bit about blackrose a couple years ago.
4ext recovery 'info' continues to report the weird partition sizes, so a 4ext recovery reinstall is in order
OH FFS this blackrose issue just keeps giving
phone is now s-on again. (bravo unknown
The uninstall blackrose process set the phone s-on again despite the fact it didn't set s-off - the phone has been s-off for years.
\this should be called blackplague - I've seen less irritating rootkits
wonder if that 'bravo unknown' is more shafting of my phone by blackplague - and if its will cause problems re- s-off the phone when I look up how to do it again - if I can with latest radio and non-standard rom - I tried to install twrp which seemingly failed but screwed 4ext completely - which is when I realised its s-on again.
Non standard rom
no recovery installed
fook knows what actual state the phone is in.
No wonder people have problems with this.