[Q] busybox throwing "precmd" errors after rooting ICS

1 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By mdhobbes, Junior Member on 8th May 2012, 03:01 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello,

Thanks for looking at this post! I wanted to post it to the rooting thread, but I'm too much of a noob to have access to developer threads. I searched around (both here and google), but couldn't find any useful info on my problem.

I'll get right to the point. I rooted my Acer A500 (after doing an OTA update to 4.0.3), as per the instructions on this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1546593

Everything seems to have worked well (I have root access, etc), but there is something quirky with Busybox. Every time I type a command in terminal (it doesn't matter which - I use both connectbot and terminal emulator), I get a "precmd: not found" message (even for simple things like directory changes). The odd thing is: the commands work, but I still get the message. For instance, if I ask for a directory listing, I'll get the listing, and at the end, it will say precmd: not found (usually with the name of the command it's referencing, e.g. bash: precmd: not found).

It seems to be looking for it in /system/xbin/bash, but bash is in /data/local; I tried creating a symlink but it didn't work ("link failed Cross-device link"). This is really a nuisance, and I'd like to try installing some linux user-land tools, but I fear the outcome might be disastrous if the busybox tools are misconfigured somehow.

I'd appreciate and help/suggestions. Many thanks.
29th August 2012, 10:14 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhobbes

"precmd: not found" message

Connectbot seems to set shell variable 'PS1' to "$(precmd)[email protected]$HOSTNAME:${PWD:-?} $ ".
It means your shell (the busybox's ash applet) will try to use output from 'precmd' as a part of a command prompt.
So when 'precmd' was not provided, error messages will be generated wenever a prompt was to be shown.

Though the messages should be safe to ignore, you may get rid of them by setting something harmless to PS1 like:
PS1="> "
, or reset PS1 by:
unset PS1
from your (busybox) shell.

# The same method should work for terminal emulator.
The Following User Says Thank You to hrkzmnm For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hrkzmnm Ad-Free
13th May 2013, 01:41 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
precmd is a shell function.

To display it run this from the default shell:
Code:
typeset -f
You will see something like
Code:
function precmd {
    typeset e=$?
    let " e " && print -n "$e|"
}
If you add that to one of your shell's startup files (".profile", ".bashrc", etc.) you will have a working precmd.
7th July 2013, 08:03 PM |#4  
Flag Warsaw
Thanks Meter: 302

More
It works (function runs), but shows nothing neither 0 or error code. What is it?

[edit]

Nvm, my fault, figured it out
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
question

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)