FORUMS

Cracked screen.

277 posts
Thanks Meter: 16

By MrLarner, Senior Member on 13th May 2012, 10:50 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Does anyone know anywhere in london, UK to get a new screen fitted.
I dropped my htc desire hd yesterday and its cracked the screen, there is no ink on the screen and everything is working fine still, so its just the first piece of glass thats broke.
so what exactly do i need to get fixed, i see alot of people mentioning ameled or something like that, do i need to get that replaced as well, or can i just buy the glass myself and fix it myself?
i've checked a few htc repair centres online and they all want between £60 - £90 to fix it, but im sure i can do it myself with the right equipment.
as for right equipment, i been looking on ebay and noticed i could either buy just the glass or the full unit, would i better to buy the full unit to be safe?
14th May 2012, 06:50 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 200

More
The Desire HD is one of the last smartphones where the glass is not glued to the LCD panel, so you can remove the glass without issue. You will need a hairdryer or something, to loosen the glue that holds the glass to the frame.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hunt3r.j2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Hunt3r.j2 Ad-Free
16th May 2012, 05:16 PM |#3  
Flag CHELTENHAM
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thumbs down As someone who has done it...
If it still works with the crack leave it alone. There is a nice HTC disassembly video out ther & you can get the bits from ebay. I initaly just bought the screen £20, but it's bonded to the digitiser £20 & so it's best to get the combined unit.

Pulling the phone to bits is OK, reassembling it should be OK, but there is nothing nothing to hold the base of the screen to the body without the special glue strips. I am used to repairing things, but all the connectors are soo small. I have gone back & check but can't see what isn't making contact.

I now have a working screen, but no WiFi, Bluetooth, or camera & a big hole in the bottom of the phone between the screen & the back. I wish I had just decided to live with the black patches on my display where something had leaked.

If you can get the job done for £60 inc parts do take it, or wait for your contract upgrade
16th May 2012, 05:35 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
I managed to find a company that will fix it for £45 all in, that includes sending it back to me special delivery, so i sent it off today, i'll report back in a few days will my review on them.
they said it'll take 2-4 days to receive the phone back.
16th May 2012, 05:41 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I paid 150 euro's to replace the screen (which was the cheapest in my country), and my button backlights dont work anymore.
3 months later a crack came in there again, out of nowhere. It was not really annoying... but it hurt my fingers as i was moving around the crack; so i bought a screen protector to put on the screen and can hardly feel anything right now.
16th May 2012, 05:51 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLarner

I managed to find a company that will fix it for £45 all in, that includes sending it back to me special delivery, so i sent it off today, i'll report back in a few days will my review on them.

They also assured my the new screen is a genuine HTC screen, not a fake dodgy 1, so like i said, once i get it back i'll review it and let everyone know what their like.
but for £45 all on, if it is genuine i'll be chuffed.
16th May 2012, 06:31 PM |#7  
Flag St Helens
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Thumbs up
Quote:

They also assured my the new screen is a genuine HTC screen, not a fake dodgy 1, so like i said, once i get it back i'll review it and let everyone know what their like.
but for £45 all on, if it is genuine i'll be chuffed.

Looking forward to hearing your results. Got a cracked LCD a it has leaked, not considerably so can still use it. been quoted £35 for the screen but have to fit myself, so £45 sounds like a really good deal.
16th May 2012, 07:27 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpick36

Looking forward to hearing your results. Got a cracked LCD a it has leaked, not considerably so can still use it. been quoted £35 for the screen but have to fit myself, so £45 sounds like a really good deal.

if you've got ink leaks then you'll need a new lcd as well, and £35 for both lcd and glass is really good.
but i dont fancy trying it myself, watched a few video's and it seems like a hard job.
i'd struggle just to keep track of where all the screws go
18th May 2012, 01:47 AM |#9  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Prattville, AL
Thanks Meter: 88

More
I have repaired mine with a preassembled screen and digitizer kit from eBay, sent from HK. I think it was around $60 shipped. Unfortunately the cap buttons do not light up properly and the screen ha some light leaks around the edges. I was given a $10 refund, so I'm not complaining. It may be with the Xtra to get a preassembled unit though...if it works right.

Sent from my T8788 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App
18th May 2012, 01:02 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Talking
Quote:

is your phone back already ?
18th May 2012, 02:22 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicebabygirl

is your phone back already ?

No, i sent it special delivery on Wednesday, they e-mailed me on thursday saying they had received it and that they'll get straight to work on it and they will e-mail me again once its been sent back to me which should take 2-3 days.
so i'll probably get it back monday.
so i'll give them a review once i receive it back.
but so far so good, had no problems with them, got quick replies from then when i contact them with queries.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)