FORUMS

Wifi Display / AirPlay / Android Transporter

33 posts
Thanks Meter: 29
 
By christian.koestlin, Member on 14th May 2012, 07:57 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi community,

based on ICS we developed "Android-Transporter" which is similar to WiFi
Display
or Air Play. It allows you to transfer your display to another
device. For a demonstration see http://esrlabs.com/android-transporter.

To implement this efficiently we had to hack the platform, to allow us to
grab the screen content in the surface-flinger. The image is then encoded
with the standard media-encoder which uses the hardware acceleration of
your mobile. The result is streamed with rtsp to another device (the demo
shows another mobile, but this could also be a tv or media-center).

Right now this is just a hack, but we plan to continue our work on
this. The next steps on our road-map are:
- Dual screen support with accompanying SDK.
- WiFi Direct support.
- We plan to open-source our patches for the Android platform.

For the last point we thought of the brilliant cm9. Would this be of
interest for the cyanogenmod community? If you are willing to give this a
try, we would love to contribute to cm9.


Regards,

Christian Köstlin
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to christian.koestlin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift christian.koestlin Ad-Free
14th May 2012, 10:43 PM |#2  
conantroutman's Avatar
Retired Senior Moderator - XDA Portal Team
Thanks Meter: 7,551
 
More
Sounds interesting, any way we can try this for ourselves?

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium HD app
The Following User Says Thank You to conantroutman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift conantroutman Ad-Free
15th May 2012, 01:39 AM |#3  
snapper.fishes's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 302
 
More
If you can extend this somehow to computer LCD screens I would be very much interested.
The Following User Says Thank You to snapper.fishes For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift snapper.fishes Ad-Free
15th May 2012, 12:22 PM |#4  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 29
 
More
Nexus-S image
Quote:
Originally Posted by conantroutman

Sounds interesting, any way we can try this for ourselves?

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium HD app

Thanks for your interest. If you have two Nexus-S at hand I could provide you with an ICS-4.0.3-based images.

Both devices should already be in the same WiFi-network, as we do not
have WiFi-direct for the Nexus-S (for the demo I just created a
portable WiFi-hotspot with one of the devices). Additionally you need
two small apks (one one the client, one on the server, which I would also provide) to initiate the video-transport between the two devices. After a NFC-bump the connection should be established and the display mirrored from one
device to the other.

As this is not yet a final release, I would like to give you the links to the images and the apks by private message.

regards

christian
The Following User Says Thank You to christian.koestlin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift christian.koestlin Ad-Free
15th May 2012, 12:27 PM |#5  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 29
 
More
Nexus-S image
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper.fishes

If you can extend this somehow to computer LCD screens I would be very much interested.

As the protocol is based on rtsp/rtp, our first version (altough with a
higher latency) was between one device and gstreamer or vlc on a
desktop pc. Right now the setup is a little bit complicated, but if
you have a Nexus-S at hand and are willing to experiment a little bit,
I could provide a link to a ICS-4.0.3-based system-image for you.

As the software is still in experimental stage I would prefer to give you the link only in a private message.

Regards

christian
15th May 2012, 12:29 PM |#6  
conantroutman's Avatar
Retired Senior Moderator - XDA Portal Team
Thanks Meter: 7,551
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.koestlin

Thanks for your interest. If you have two Nexus-S at hand I could provide you with an ICS-4.0.3-based images.

Both devices should already be in the same WiFi-network, as we do not
have WiFi-direct for the Nexus-S (for the demo I just created a
portable WiFi-hotspot with one of the devices). Additionally you need
two small apks (one one the client, one on the server, which I would also provide) to initiate the video-transport between the two devices. After a NFC-bump the connection should be established and the display mirrored from one
device to the other.

As this is not yet a final release, I would like to give you the links to the images and the apks by private message.

regards

christian

Hey, thanks for the response.

Unfortunately I am not a Nexus S owner (or any other NFC capable device for that matter) but thanks anyway. In honesty my reason for asking was so that we could perhaps get something written up about this for the portal.

I'll keep following the thread and look forward to the final release.
The Following User Says Thank You to conantroutman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift conantroutman Ad-Free
15th May 2012, 12:44 PM |#7  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 29
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by conantroutman

Hey, thanks for the response.

Unfortunately I am not a Nexus S owner (or any other NFC capable device for that matter) but thanks anyway. In honesty my reason for asking was so that we could perhaps get something written up about this for the portal.

I'll keep following the thread and look forward to the final release.

Actually NFC is not essential to the screen-transfer. It just makes the setup easier. Right now we just have the Nexus-S images, but we are also working on a Galaxy Nexus-port.

As a target we also did play with a Xoom (which worked out-of-the-box, but with a bad latency).

We would love to get some coverage on the portal, but we do not know what would be interesting for you guys. Also we would like to show you the hack on your own devices.
15th May 2012, 06:05 PM |#8  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 29
 
More
Write-Up
Quote:
Originally Posted by conantroutman

... In honesty my reason for asking was so that we could perhaps get something written up about this for the portal.

Hi conantroutman, your comment got us to think about a possible article for the portal. We really would like to show the stuff we did with Android Transporter. Possible content for an article could be:
  • Changes to the platform that we had to do.
  • Problems we still have and discussion with the community how to solve them (e.g. a big part of the latency is due to omx in the nexus-s)
  • Outlook to adaptions to the theme: "standard based transfer of screen content

Currently we are also preparing an audio track for the youtube video, to explain a little more about whats going on.

We really would like to raise the interest in this, so that we could get some chance and perhaps even help to integrate the patch into one of the bigger roms (like cm9).


Perhaps you could help us with the article to streamline it to the needs and interest of the xda-developers community.

hoping to hear from you!

regards

christian
15th May 2012, 06:31 PM |#9  
Senior Member
Flag Istanbul
Thanks Meter: 430
 
Donate to Me
More
It looks awesome. Did we need root for this? I have 2 HTC One X and I will try this when its released.
15th May 2012, 07:10 PM |#10  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 29
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by leventccc

It looks awesome. Did we need root for this? I have 2 HTC One X and I will try this when its released.

Thanks for your feedback,

currently this is a complete custom rom for Nexus-S based on the original google ICS source. I hope we will be able to integrate the patch into a widely available rom like cyanogenmod. If it's finished no root access should be necessary.

Regards

christian
18th May 2012, 01:19 PM |#11  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 29
 
More
Update of the video
Please see http://esrlabs.com/android-transporter/ for an updated video.
It now has an audio track, explaining a little bit about whats going on.

enjoy

christian
The Following User Says Thank You to christian.koestlin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift christian.koestlin Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
airplay, cm9, nexus-s, wifi display

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes