STATUS UPDATE25.09.2012: The development of this ROM has been stopped, due to lack of time and replacement of my Gio as primary phone by a newly aquired HTC Desire. The topic will be kept open, I may answer questions in the future. Thanks!
• uses AROMA Installer. Aroma Filemanager included (mount partitions in CWM beforehand)
• Phiexz kernel 20120607 - supports ext4, swap, overclocking etc.
• ext4 format
• deodexed and zipaligned (+ zipalign on boot script)
• 20 toggles in notification panel (media controls work with most players, except the stock one) *
• 7 lockscreens *
• lockscreen gestures support (only for Cyanogen ones)
• swipe to remove notification
• battery bar on statusbar *
• statusbar battery icon tweaks *
• statusbar clock icon tweaks *
• power menu modifications
• touch keys tweaks (backlight and haptic feedback) *
• logcat saving feature *
• windows animations speed settings *
• native SIP client enabled
• camera sound follows system settings
• smooth scroll in applications
• skin changing option in mms application
• unlimited contacts in SMS send to field
• sent time display for sms/mms after no network signal (instead of received time)
• no sms/mms in call logs
• sms converts to mms after 7 parts, not 4
• BLN working with stock SMS application
• enabled list view in app launcher
• TouchWiz launcher settings (app arrangement, animation effect, color depth etc.)
• share application option in TouchWiz launcher
• long press volume keys with phone locked to change track in music player (most players, except stock one)
• browser mods: 8 tabs, text size setting, debug enable setting, User agent choice setting
• camera mods: use camera/camcorder on low battery, during call and during playing music with default music app
• no sound & screen light when charging is complete
• no display dimming function on low battery
• minimal graphic modifications (CRT screen off animation, ICS animations, default smileys changed, some lockscreen text edits)
• + maybe a few more mods I forgot about
* customise these features in Settings - ROM features
DisclaimerAlthough this ROM has been tested extensively, you use this on your own risk.
This ROM does not come with any warranties, implied or otherwise; developer can not be blamed if something goes wrong, be it software or hardware, during the installation process or during usage of this ROM.
Credits and thanksPhiexz (kernel)
hyriand (partitions info & basic how-to stuff + first CWM for Gio)
hansip87 (swipe to remove notifications tutorial)
pvyParts (battery bar)
untermensch + CM7 developers (power menu modifications info)
lidroid (statusbar toggles + cyanogen lockscreens)
Romanbb (EDT-based statusbar tweaks)
pratyush.creed (6 lockscreens tutorial, some touchwiz mods info)
zcop (good modding guides & files)
XiproX (bootanimation inspiration + starting point)
montymintypie (sms tweaks info)
jeboo (more sms app tweaking info)
AndroidON (smooth scroll)
amarullz (AROMA Installer)
one_love_420 & loSconosciuto (merged info on apk signature verification)
ImbaWind (Adrenaline engine)
intronauta (some browser mods info)
Download & Changelog
added 4 more toggles in notification area (1 Sleep button, and 3 media control buttons - these work with most music players except stock Samsung player)
added long-press volume keys to change track (works with most music players except stock Samsung player)
added skin option in mms app
launcher mod: added Share App option
launcher mod: added settings menu
updated Battery Bar height settings
updated Aroma Installer
added Aroma File Manager in instalation process (mount partitions in CWM beforehand)
fixed issue with optional display dimming file
optional during installation: Adrenaline Engine
optional during installation: Adobe Flash Player
added 6 Cyanogen lockscreens with gestures support
added statusbar clock & battery icon tweaks
added Flashlight (white screen) toggle
improved swipe to remove notifications
added new options in ROM Features app
ROM features rearranged
CM lockscreens layout improved
removed system apps signature verification (you can resign system apps without problems, no need to resign the entire ROM now)
launcher mod: auto arrange alphabetically
fixed Google Street installed even if deselected
fixed Google Talk missing issue
fixed issue with network locations not working if Google Maps not installed
removed redundant CSC related files
all apps updated
changed default kernel to Phiexz 20120607
added network mode toggle (2G only/3G only/2G-3G)
added more XT9 languages for Samsung keyboard
added a new optional bootanimation with enhanced236 text
ROM Mods settings renamed to ROM Features and options cleaned a bit
added touch keys backlight option in Settings - ROM Features - Touch keys options (grant root when asked)
added touch keys haptic feedback option in Settings - ROM Features - Touch keys options (grant root when asked)
added Logcat saving option in Settings - ROM Features
browser mod: open up to 8 tabs
browser mod: added text size setting
browser mod: added option to select User Agent
browser mod: added option to enable Debug menus
camera app mod: snap photo/record video even with low battery
camera app mod: snap photo/record video while on call
camera app mod: snap photo/record video while in music player
removed sound & screen light when charging is complete
removed display dimming function on low battery
removed Talkback application
all apps updated
optional during installation: compact carrier label on statusbar pulldown
fixed contacts application lag
fixed Google Play download errors
fixed usb tethering
changed default kernel to CF-Root port by Delanoister
changed default lockscreen to AOSP slider lockscreen
changed default battery bar location below statusbar
using AROMA installer
some new features in ROM Mods Settings
added some build.prop tweaks
added Phiexz kernel 20120607 as optional in AROMA Installer
removed some of the stock Samsung apps
removed PDroid patch (was causing bugs)
updated Google Play, Maps and SuperSU to latest versions18.05.2012
changed filesystem to ext4
changed install method - cwm zip
changed kernel to Phiexz 2.1
replaced Superuser with SuperSU
Updates & Add-onsUpdate (works for any version). Add more options in launcher settings, like: background color and transparency, application arrangement and numbers, color depth, animation setting: TouchWiz Launcher mods & settings app.Update for 24.07.2012 version. Fixes the Force Close issue when selecting Gestures sensitivity for lockscreens in ROM Features. ONLY if you have this problem, download and install this zip file in Clockwork Mod:
Lockscreen gestures sensitivity FC fix. OBSOLETEXT9 extra languages for Samsung Keyboard. Includes more than 10 extra input languages, like Italian, Greek, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Lithuanian, Norwegian etc. Flash in CWM.
DOWNLOADOBSOLETEUpdate for 09.06.2012 version. New options added in ROM Mods Settings application: touch keys backlight and haptic feedback options and logcat saving feature. Flash in CWM the version corresponding to the kernel you are using (if you use the CF-Root kernel, flash the first zip, if you use Phiexz kernel, flash the second).
ROMModsSettings app for CF-Root kernelOBSOLETE
ROMModsSettings app for Phiexz kernelOBSOLETE
1. During music playback, I get sound skipping, crackling and overall bad sound quality.
That's because both kernels included have a default minimum CPU frequency set too low to handle smooth media playback. I have no control over that, but there's a solution: go to No-Frills CPU Control, chose minimum frequency 245MHz and set it to apply on every boot.
2. Statusbar battery icon doesn't hide/show when I toggle its checkbox
It will toggle, just only after a status change (level increase/decrease, connect/deconnect charger or usb cable etc.)
3. Why doesn't includes Adrenaline engine?
UPDATE: well, now it's included but only as optional during installation. Motivations below still apply.
Mainly for two reasons: I can't support Adrenaline engine, because I don't know what it does and how it does it, so in case of bugs, wouldn't know what to do. Secondly, I see no reason to have it preinstalled as I see it has a real easy way to install (just a zip flash), and so it can be easily installed by the end user.
4. What about apps-on-sdcard type scripts?
Same as above, I can't support problems they might induce.
There are more options anyway, and each should use his personal favorite. To name just a few:
Mount2SD. Some users reported to have obtained best results with this, gained a lot of free space on the phone's memory, and overall being better than other scripts
Link2SD. This has a real easy method to setup, all you need to do is to partition the SD-Card with an extra partition (many file formats supported) and install the apk. It will take care of the rest by itself.
5. Can you theme the ROM this way or this other way?
Keeping the ROM as much as possible stock is a personal preference, and I don't think I'm going to theme it. The biggest liberty I took in regard of looks was to change the boot animation, and that's mainly because i couldn't find a stock boot animation in zip format, as custom kernels don't support the original boot animation file format.
Second, theming doesn't please the larger part of the user base; some like one theme, some like other theme, but I reckon most just like it as it is and just want more features.