FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Did Google forget about the "Quick Launch" keyboard shortcuts in ICS?

84 posts
Thanks Meter: 10

By haztv, Member on 15th May 2012, 12:48 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
So I realize Google and android in general doesn't really care for those of us with phones that have physical keyboards but what ever happened to the quick Launch app shortcuts you could set in froyo and gingerbread? Possibly even since the eclair days under the applications section there was an option to set every key on your physical keyboard to launch an app basically making them all their own hot keys in a sense. Now with the new settings layout in ics there is no applications tab just the manage apps section but I can't seem to find the old quick Launch feature anywhere on any ics rom but the functionality is still there (hold search button and Press e for email or c for calculator, m for maps and such) which leads me to believe you can still do it just where the hell is the tab to set which app you want to launch to each key? Am I the only one who used these? Lol I posted a pic to show what I'm talking about... Sorry for the rant and bad punctuation but any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

15th May 2012, 01:11 AM |#2  
Flag Roseville
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Unhappy noticed this a looooong time ago...
i miss my keyboard shotcuts
15th May 2012, 01:14 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
Nevermind I figured out a workaround via Google. Pain in the ass there has to be a way to unhide it but if anyone is interested the steps I took were...

1. Must be using either nova or apex launcher

2. Long press on home screen and select shortcuts

3. Select activities (for whichever launcher you are using nova or apex)

4. Scroll down and select settings

5. Scroll down and select Quick Launch (the first one) and it should create the shortcut icon on your desktop

The shortcut takes you to the old quick Launch menu that allows you to assign the keys but I don't know where Google hid it thru the regular menu. Hope this helps anyone as much as it's gonna help me if not then what the hell you read it for? Lol

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to haztv For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift haztv Ad-Free
15th May 2012, 01:15 AM |#4  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellman

i miss my keyboard shotcuts

Lol glad I wasn't the only one glad I found that workaround tho

15th May 2012, 12:52 PM |#5  
Flag Dirty Jersey
Thanks Meter: 2,732

More
Glad to see you found a work around! Just to clarify a bit... ICS was/is not intended for the Droid 3. The only reason we have it is because Hashcode has put in a ton of time on it. As far as I know, Motorola has no intentions on releasing ICS on our phone (the Bionic will be as close as we get), and the only "slider" devices to get 4.0 will be the Xperia ones. Luckily, we still run a Gingerbread kernel, and that's probably why keyboard shortcuts still work.

Sent from my XT862 using xda premium
15th May 2012, 10:09 PM |#6  
Flag Roseville
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Talking
Quote:
Originally Posted by haztv

Nevermind I figured out a workaround via Google. Pain in the ass there has to be a way to unhide it but if anyone is interested the steps I took were...

1. Must be using either nova or apex launcher

2. Long press on home screen and select shortcuts

3. Select activities (for whichever launcher you are using nova or apex)

4. Scroll down and select settings

5. Scroll down and select Quick Launch (the first one) and it should create the shortcut icon on your desktop

The shortcut takes you to the old quick Launch menu that allows you to assign the keys but I don't know where Google hid it thru the regular menu. Hope this helps anyone as much as it's gonna help me if not then what the hell you read it for? Lol

thank you soooo much man
10th June 2012, 10:49 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 49

More
... too bad, not ported to my droid pro ... Gummy ROM
10th June 2012, 04:28 PM |#8  
Flag spokane
Thanks Meter: 365

More
very cool thank you!
12th June 2012, 12:14 PM |#9  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhiza

Glad to see you found a work around! Just to clarify a bit... ICS was/is not intended for the Droid 3. The only reason we have it is because Hashcode has put in a ton of time on it. As far as I know, Motorola has no intentions on releasing ICS on our phone (the Bionic will be as close as we get), and the only "slider" devices to get 4.0 will be the Xperia ones. Luckily, we still run a Gingerbread kernel, and that's probably why keyboard shortcuts still work.

That makes sense unfortunately lol

17th April 2013, 03:49 PM |#10  
Flag Wilson, NC
Thanks Meter: 16

Donate to Me
More
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ortcutsettings

my new phone has no working root so the ideas presented here are useless. however i found this app and it is perfect. only assigns apps, not shortcuts (like auto dial).

Sent from my SCH-I415 using xda app-developers app
18th April 2013, 07:42 AM |#11  
Flag Lucca
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhiza

Uh, we have Droid 4 too, with official ICS and Photon Q but no devs on it...anyway, it seems that qwerty phones will be more and more snubbed in the years... i hope in the new wave of moto phones "X"....

QWERTY OR GTFO!!!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)