[LIST] Where to Buy NFC Tags (updated 06/29/2012)

Search This thread

tr.slate

Jan 26, 2009
Austin
So I've been trying to compile a well rounded list of places that sell NFC tags, for people that want to purchase tags online and locally. Here is what I have found so far, if you know of a place (especially locally) please post it in this thread and I'll try to keep the OP updated. Keep in mind that I havent ordered from all of these places, therefore I remind you that this is not an endorsement of the quality of service of any of the places listed. Buy at your own risk – as always.;)

GENRAL INFO:

[Q] Does my phone need NFC built-in in order to use NFC tags?
[A] Yes, at the moment, with the exception of some UK services like Barclays (afaik)

[Q] What formatting should I buy when looking for an NFC tag?
[A] As long as you are on Android 4.0.3 and above (you can use NXP Tag Writer to format on 4.0.2, thx krohnjw) you shouldn't have an issue with unformatted or NDEF formatted tags. With NFC Task Launcher and others on the Google Play Store you should be able to format your own. Pre 4.0.3 look for NDEF formatted tags, as there may be an issue formatting your own.

GOOD NFC APPS:

- NFC Task Launcher
- NFC Tagwriter by NXP
(more coming soon...at work;)

ONLINE RESOURCES:

androidbands.de (germany based, ships worldwide)
sparkfun.com (us based)
nfc-tag-shop.de (germany based - free shipping to germany - ships worldwide)
nfczone.net (denmark based - ships worldwide)
tagstand.com/ (us based - ships worldwide)
buynfctags.com/ (us based - ships worldwide)
rapidnfc.com/ (uk based - ships to uk & europe)
airnfc.com/ (ireland based - ships worldwide)
tagage.net/ (finland based - ships worldwide)
touchatag.com (ireland based? - **caution tags may be locked to their service**)
rfidshop.com (uk based - ships to uk & europe)
buysmartcard.com/ (asia based - ships to various countries)
tagsfordroid.com (us based - ships worldwide)
identivenfc.com (us based - ships worldwide)
nfcdog.com (uk based - ships worldwide)
toptunniste.fi (finland based - ships worldwide)
nfcnetstore.com/ (finland based)
kimtag.com (uk based)
simplenfc.com (us based)
nfctagstore.com (uk based?)
atuch.com (us based - ships worldwide)
nfclabels.com (us based)
nfc-hub.com (uk based)
aliexpress.com (wholesaler? asia based?)
www.smartcardfocus.com (various countries)

LOCAL RESOURCES:

Fry's Electronics (call store to check – mine didn't have them but I've heard other stores do. Or more likely everyone I asked just didn't know what NFC was...)

Last edited:

krohnjw

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 17, 2007
Plainfield
Just a quick note: unless touchatag has changed what they are shipping, their tags are write locked and written for use with their web service.

ConorB

Jun 1, 2012
www.airnfc.com
Airnfc.com

Hey, thanks for mentioning us.

I'm one of the co-founders at Airnfc and just want to note we ship worldwide.

If you have any questions about our products or NFC in general I'd be more than happy to answer them.

Last edited:

atuchinc

Jun 1, 2012
atuch.com is based in US and ships world-wide.

Foremost, thank you for mentioning us. You have compiled a very comprehensive resource list.

Just wanted to let you know that we are located in Sunnyvale, California (heart of Silicon Valley) and we ship nfc tags & smart posters world-wide.

Cheers,
-Alok - Founder of Atuch

Bardamuz

Apr 21, 2012
Singapore
Soon we will be on that list but with a really special stuff, witch we believe (according to our survey) will be a needing and a most have for NFC mobile enabled.

We will keep you update asap.

Cheer from Asia

krohnjw

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 17, 2007
Plainfield
So I've been trying to compile a well rounded list of places that sell NFC tags, for people that want to purchase tags online and locally. Here is what I have found so far, if you know of a place (especially locally) please post it in this thread and I'll try to keep the OP updated. Keep in mind that I havent ordered from all of these places, therefore I remind you that this is not an endorsement of the quality of service of any of the places listed. Buy at your own risk – as always.;)

GENRAL INFO:

[A] Yes, at the moment, with the exception of some UK services like Barclays (afaik)

[A] As long as you are on Android 4.0.2 and above you shouldn't have an issue with unformatted or NDEF formatted tags. With NFC Task Launcher and others on the Google Play Store you should be able to format your own. Pre 4.0.2 look for NDEF formatted tags, as there may be an issue formatting your own.

Just for accuracy, the bug is present in 4.0.2, fixed in 4.0.3. If you are on 4.0-4.0.2 you can't format blank tags using Android's libraries. However NXP's Tag Writer will do manual formatting.

Reactions: tr.slate

gkrawiec

May 19, 2011
I wish I had known about NXP tagwriter earlier. For several months I kept telling people to either wait for 4.0.3 or install a mod. A friend just tested it and it works perfectly, format with NXP and then use NFC Task Launcher with no problem in 4.0.0-4.0.2.

Reactions: tr.slate

Bardamuz

Apr 21, 2012
Singapore
I wish I had known about NXP tagwriter earlier. For several months I kept telling people to either wait for 4.0.3 or install a mod. A friend just tested it and it works perfectly, format with NXP and then use NFC Task Launcher with no problem in 4.0.0-4.0.2.

it also work like a charm in my Xperia S stock 2.3.X … Task launcher is quite good the only weak point it’s he use large memory tags for is instruction instead of (for example) the couple : Liveware , SmartTags from Sony witch can use Ultralight Mifare

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

GENRAL INFO:

[A] As long as you are on Android 4.0.3 and above (you can use NXP Tag Writer to format on 4.0.2, thx krohnjw) you shouldn't have an issue with unformatted or NDEF formatted tags. With NFC Task Launcher and others on the Google Play Store you should be able to format your own. Pre 4.0.3 look for NDEF formatted tags, as there may be an issue formatting your own.

GOOD NFC APPS:

- NFC Task Launcher
    - NFC Tagwriter by NXP
    (more coming soon...at work;)

ONLINE RESOURCES:

androidbands.de (germany based, ships worldwide)
    sparkfun.com (us based)
    nfc-tag-shop.de (germany based - free shipping to germany - ships worldwide)
    nfczone.net (denmark based - ships worldwide)
    tagstand.com/ (us based - ships worldwide)
    buynfctags.com/ (us based - ships worldwide)
    rapidnfc.com/ (uk based - ships to uk & europe)
    airnfc.com/ (ireland based - ships worldwide)
    tagage.net/ (finland based - ships worldwide)
    touchatag.com (ireland based? - **caution tags may be locked to their service**)
    rfidshop.com (uk based - ships to uk & europe)
    buysmartcard.com/ (asia based - ships to various countries)
    tagsfordroid.com (us based - ships worldwide)
    identivenfc.com (us based - ships worldwide)
    nfcdog.com (uk based - ships worldwide)
    toptunniste.fi (finland based - ships worldwide)
    nfcnetstore.com/ (finland based)
    kimtag.com (uk based)
    simplenfc.com (us based)
    nfctagstore.com (uk based?)
    atuch.com (us based - ships worldwide)
    nfclabels.com (us based)
    nfc-hub.com (uk based)
    aliexpress.com (wholesaler? asia based?)
    www.smartcardfocus.com (various countries)

LOCAL RESOURCES:

Fry's Electronics (call store to check – mine didn't have them but I've heard other stores do. Or more likely everyone I asked just didn't know what NFC was...)
    Without wishing to seem disrespectful to the OP, this is exactly the sort of thing the Wiki should be used for - that way anyone can update the list.

I have now created a wiki page for NFC Tags and have started to copy across some of the details found on here.
    But it would go a lot quicker if other people chipped in.

Also, on the Wiki page, I've added a 'minimum order quantity' listing for all retailers. I felt it was pertinent as some sites have minimum quantities of 100 or more.
    If anyone else does copy stuff across from here to there, just do as I've been doing so far and put in '???' - I'll do the leg work at some point and check each site individually.
    tagsfordroid has a special deal this weekend.
    from the google+ page.

"All orders placed this weekend will receive the following bonus:

- 1 FREE NFC key-chain per order
    - 1 FREE tag for every 5 tags purchased

Hurry, this offer ends May 21st at 11:59 EDT."

https://plus.google.com/b/103863921109677949872/103863921109677949872/posts/K6BBDqdUccM
    http://www.nfczone.net
    Based in Denmark and we ship worldwide. Cheap shipping options available.. :)
    Hey guys,

here is a shop I would like to add:

www.flashNFC.com

It's a company based in Germany but they send NFC Tags WORLD WIDE FREE OF CHARGE and even without an mimimum pruchase value, which means that you could also order a single tag for a unbeatable price... :)

They have different domains: www.flashNFC-shop.com , .de, .ch, .dk....etc....