FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Android Piracy - Real numbers

18 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By tajniacki, Junior Member on 21st May 2012, 09:04 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi

few days ago i have released my game on android. I have spend almost a year on development.

There are two option available lite and full ( paid ) full - with full content, and lite with truncated content. Implemented market licensing library. And two separate analytics to track lite and full version separately.

After an hour from release there was first payment, and of course user canceled within 15 minutes transaction.

After 3 hours - i have noticed that google is indexing illegal APKs . What the **** !

They tells that are for developers , and in other side they indexing pirated content ;/

So far there were total 7 full purchases in 3 days

So here is analytics from full version ( from 3 days )

What should i think about this ? 7 purchases and 2600 UU ????

ps. i dont publish title in case of removal ( some may think it is promotion )

21st May 2012, 09:17 AM |#2  
Flag Pontypridd
Thanks Meter: 248

More
There is a lot of piracy on android, its very easy to find pirated apps and there's only one solution I could think of although not sure it is a perfect solution.

That would be to have the app check for licence validation and if none found over a long period of say a month have the app refuse to run until it can check with google but it might annoy a lot of potential users.

Dave

( http://www.google.com/producer/editi...bigfatuniverse )

Sent from my LG P920 using Tapatalk
21st May 2012, 09:25 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Leszno

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermentality

That would be to have the app check for licence validation and if none found over a long period of say a month have the app refuse to run until it can check with google but it might annoy a lot of potential users.

Dave

There is license validation - but already cracked ;/
21st May 2012, 10:19 AM |#4  
Flag Wroclaw

More
hi tajniacki

I think that you are little bit on lost position. I think thats why some devs release only free apps with advertisements inside - but this have also some disadvantages:

I had app for kid - about learning letters. - After some realease dev add ads inside app thats ok for me - but how can i explain 2yo kid to not click on color bars that appear on bottom of screen?
21st May 2012, 10:47 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
^ haha good point. I think developers will have to go the extra mile in android. I think devs should use some type of Internet based verification (this would actually be a really good startup idea i think). Similar to windows except nothing works if the app is unable to connect to the internet every so often.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using XDA
21st May 2012, 10:59 AM |#6  
OP Junior Member
Flag Leszno

More
As Blizzard ? Keep most of the stuff on remote servers and play only after logging in ? It will be very hard for small devs , and startup idea is good

Everything can be cracked but this is madness :0 A lot of companies tried to have better DRM protection without luck. So we are on the lost position which is very sad.
21st May 2012, 11:19 AM |#7  
Flag Pontypridd
Thanks Meter: 248

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorrowADolla

^ haha good point. I think developers will have to go the extra mile in android. I think devs should use some type of Internet based verification (this would actually be a really good startup idea i think). Similar to windows except nothing works if the app is unable to connect to the internet every so often.

That's a big problem for people like myself who live in areas where they can't always get reception for a licence check or who don't have a data connection.

I bought a panorama camera app then found it only works when connected to internet....bit pointless if you are trying to take pic of a place that has no reception though.
Dave

( http://www.google.com/producer/editi...bigfatuniverse )

Sent from my LG P920 using Tapatalk
yollasho
21st May 2012, 01:15 PM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tajniacki

As Blizzard ? Keep most of the stuff on remote servers and play only after logging in ? It will be very hard for small devs , and startup idea is good

Everything can be cracked but this is madness :0 A lot of companies tried to have better DRM protection without luck. So we are on the lost position which is very sad.

It is sad. Especially for small developers that spend tons of time and don't necessarily have the resources to implement insane drm and licensing/validation structures.

I think like much pirated content, we just have to hope there are enough decent people still willing to pay for things. And realize not every pirated copy is a lost sale. Pretty lame that they are readily indexing that stuff, but I'm guessing it'd be hard not to.

I'd hate to add up how much I spend on apps. I've probably only refunded a couple times when I felt the app wasn't what I needed or if I already had a competing paid app I felt was still stronger.

Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium
21st May 2012, 08:05 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Yes, it would be expensive and impractical for small devs. But on the flipside, only the more expensive apps are readily available as pirated copies.

Im not saying u need Internet every time. But u will need internet for installation and u will need it like every other time u use the app. Obviously not the way to go for many types of apps.

21st May 2012, 09:13 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 265

More
Wow, I knew Android piracy was bad, but I didn't realise it was that bad. The worst part is that whatever DRM or whatever you add, they'll crack it in days Tools like apktool or apk-manager or whatever, while designed to create mods and themes etc. for apps, make it all to easy to reverse engineer apps. Sucks, but I guess that's "how it is"

EDIT: It's not hard to see why many devs turn to putting ads in their apps and releasing for free.
21st May 2012, 10:12 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 46

More
I think the best way to look at piracy as a content creator is to look at the people that illegaly download your content as a group that isn't a part of your potential customers. These people always justify their ways by saying they "wouldn't buy it anyway". But then if you wouldn't buy it anyway, why the hell do you want to pirate it?

It sucks but that's the way it is! I think you should just try and look at the positive side that your work was that good that it got pirated
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, apk, piracy

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)