FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Car Computer: Android or Windows 8?

167 posts
Thanks Meter: 45

By dev_man77, Senior Member on 22nd May 2012, 06:42 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So this summer I was going to build a carputer with a kit that I already have, similar to this :
MOD EDIT: REMOVED COMMERCIAL LINKS

Seeing that the new windows 8 metro style UI looks to be very touch screen friendly. I just have to find a double DIN friendly touch screen. And the board that I got has 5 CH audio output that I would just run into a 4 channel amp for my speakers.

Then I started thinking that I like the android tablet idea because I am more familiar with it and I can BT from a tablet to my phone to use internet and GPS functions and that would be titties, only downfall was that I would only have 2CH of audio split into two to get my 4CH, that and every 7" tablet that fits a double DIN hole is pretty weak, but could work.

Then I found this effer:
MOD EDIT: REMOVED COMMERCIAL LINKS

Seems to be everything I wanted, just not sure on sound quality or how well the systems integrations work... that and I get to do no customization and building myself.

I already have a double DIN touch screen dvd car stereo but it lacks navigation and Bluetooth capability.

Dunno whats better.

23rd May 2012, 05:35 AM |#2  
Flag Chennai
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Probably Windows 8.
23rd May 2012, 06:50 AM |#3  
Flag Austin, TX
Thanks Meter: 211

More
Android is just not an OS meant for something beyond phones, if you want something touch friendly on a larger scale, the tiny icons of ICS on a tab aren't it while driving. Windows 8 is info at a glance, just like windows phone. Given the option, I'd take the OS that seems to be suited for the job, GPS/BT link to your phone would still work given the right programs on win8
23rd May 2012, 07:33 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
i think android
23rd May 2012, 09:02 AM |#5  
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Salford, Greater Manchester, UK
Thanks Meter: 6,557

Donate to Me
More
If it runs google music in terms of music, it would be good. Android can also offer FM radio if the device supports it, and I don't think Windows 8 does that

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using XDA Premium HD app
23rd May 2012, 09:08 AM |#6  

More
Android. Simply because it is much more flexible than W8. IMHO.

So although the stock Android might not be as touch friendly, you can always make it touch friendly.
23rd May 2012, 09:15 AM |#7  
Flag Austin, TX

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by v0nHippie

Android. Simply because it is much more flexible than W8. IMHO.

So although the stock Android might not be as touch friendly, you can always make it touch friendly.

but you can't make it AS touch friendly, you can either get something, customize it, and still have a half-finished product, or get something that just works.
23rd May 2012, 09:39 AM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by z33dev33l

but you can't make it AS touch friendly, you can either get something, customize it, and still have a half-finished product, or get something that just works.

That's the thing. It won't. not with all the inevitable BSOD and license agreement prompts while you're trying to find your way through traffic.

Android it much more flexible, no matter what your marketing department has to say about it.
23rd May 2012, 05:55 PM |#9  
Flag Pontypridd
Thanks Meter: 248

More
As long as its not the arm version of windows 8, which won't run older windows software, I think windows 8 is better choice. It will run lots of the very good pre existing windows software and be compatible with additional hardware you might want to add later such as wireless controls and screens etc.

Android is a good choice but for op's needs windows 8 is probably better.

Dave

( http://www.google.com/producer/editi...bigfatuniverse )

Sent from my LG P920 using Tapatalk
mrw0rm
23rd May 2012, 06:15 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
For the time being I would say android, mostly because Windows 8 is young and there aren't many (mature) apps you could use effectively for the purposes you want.
However, I believe a year (maybe a bit more) from now, Windows 8 tablets should be on par with android and when you think about all these Windows 8 non-tablet apps you could also run, Win8 will be the way to go.

TL;DR Android for a year, switch to Windows 8 later if you want comfort. Or just skip android and get Windows device.
23rd May 2012, 08:17 PM |#11  
Flag Austin, TX

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by v0nHippie

That's the thing. It won't. not with all the inevitable BSOD and license agreement prompts while you're trying to find your way through traffic.

Android it much more flexible, no matter what your marketing department has to say about it.

I haven't had a bsod since vista, I don't think many have. Bringing up old issues to argue about a new OS is foolish. Here's some relevant android issues, lag, not touch friendly on a big screen, fragmentation, stability.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
car, carputer, computer, dash

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)