FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[SOLVED]update OTA without relocking the bootloader

194 posts
Thanks Meter: 40

By hwoarang626, Senior Member on 24th May 2012, 06:52 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
dear XDA members ,,, as i got a lot of solutions in this form and i see the OTA updates are making problems for many users ,,, here is the solution for people who unlocked the bootloader and installed CWM recovery ......

ON STOCK ROM ...

1- you dont need to relock the bootloader ..

2- download voodoo rootkeeper .. (from market) and run the program and click protect root.

3- you will need your original recovery that you changed to CWM ..

example: if you had 1.28.415.9 and you installed CWM then you need recovery.img for 1.28.415.9 .

install the stock recovery from http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5#post24738635

4-install recovery.img from fastboot ..

5-boot into phone and OTA update the one x to 1.29.xxx .

6-after update is done just open rootkeeper and click restore root ,,

7-DONE

a big thanks for xda members and im happy to help ...
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to hwoarang626 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hwoarang626 Ad-Free

24th May 2012, 06:55 AM |#2  
Flag Graz
Thanks Meter: 455

Donate to Me
More
Nice m8

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium
24th May 2012, 07:05 AM |#3  
Flag NRW
Thanks Meter: 461

More
Actually I never really had to relock the bootloader to apply an OTA... just flashing the stock recovery and keeping the unlocked bootloader + rooted custom ROM did the trick for me... Tho its not a really good idea to install an OTA patch on top of a custom ROM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Try4Ce For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Try4Ce Ad-Free
24th May 2012, 07:08 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 40

More
i added ( FOR STOCK ) what i know if you have custom rom you wont receive OTA ... will you ???!!!! ... my solution is about if you are still on Stock ...

if you search google youll see people talking about locking the bootloader and removing root and all kind of crap ...
j4n87
24th May 2012, 07:12 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
...since the radio is part of the rom now and the only "advantage" of flashing a RUU is an hboot update.

So what is the "advantage" of an newer hboot? If someone finds an exploit on the 0.43 hboot which is fixed on newer hboots you gonna cry (-:

So my advice..stay on lowest hboot until we get S-OFF.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
24th May 2012, 11:29 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I also didn't have to relock my bootloader.

Just restored my default back up with cwm before root. Fastboot restore to original recovery (stock), update and done. Went back to fastboot and restored cwm, rooted the phone and done.
The Following User Says Thank You to cruiseyunfat For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cruiseyunfat Ad-Free
24th May 2012, 11:45 AM |#7  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 267

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiseyunfat

I also didn't have to relock my bootloader.

Just restored my default back up with cwm before root. Fastboot restore to original recovery (stock), update and done. Went back to fastboot and restored cwm, rooted the phone and done.

me too.
24th May 2012, 07:26 PM |#8  
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4n87

...since the radio is part of the rom now and the only "advantage" of flashing a RUU is an hboot update.

So what is the "advantage" of an newer hboot? If someone finds an exploit on the 0.43 hboot which is fixed on newer hboots you gonna cry (-:

So my advice..stay on lowest hboot until we get S-OFF.

Totally agree lower the better! Good advice

Sent from my HTC Sensation using xda premium
24th May 2012, 08:19 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 377

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4n87

Has this been confirmed, that the radio is flashed when flashing a rom?
24th May 2012, 08:57 PM |#10  
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 458

More
DELETE.
4th June 2012, 06:44 AM |#11  
Flag New York(Hudson Valley)
Thanks Meter: 279

More
Do you think this would work for HOS? Thanks for posting this, much appreciated, will let you kow how it works out for the HOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwoarang626

dear XDA members ,,, as i got a lot of solutions in this form and i see the OTA updates are making problems for many users ,,, here is the solution for people who unlocked the bootloader and installed CWM recovery ......

ON STOCK ROM ...

1- you dont need to relock the bootloader ..

2- download voodoo rootkeeper .. (from market) and run the program and click protect root.

3- you will need your original recovery that you changed to CWM ..

example: if you had 1.28.415.9 and you installed CWM then you need recovery.img for 1.28.415.9 .

install the stock recovery from http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5#post24738635

4-install recovery.img from fastboot ..

5-boot into phone and OTA update the one x to 1.29.xxx .

6-after update is done just open rootkeeper and click restore root ,,

7-DONE

a big thanks for xda members and im happy to help ...

May I post this in the HOS Section ? Thanks
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)