FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Proximity Sensor - A software issue?

333 posts
Thanks Meter: 161

By Gordon Ramsay, Senior Member on 28th May 2012, 12:14 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
My proximity sensor seems to be working maybe 30 percent of the time, it was mentioned that doing a full reset of the device fixed the problem for someone else. I am curious if anyone else having issues or just want to test their own could do these steps:

Troubleshoot:
On your phone open the dialer, like you are going to dial the phone number of a friend. Instead dial *#*#3424#*#* (*#*#DIAG#*#*). It will take you to the HTC Function test application. On the white screen, press accept and look for a "P-Sensor" test. Press the item and hit run and it will take you through a test of the sensor. This will help you further determine if there is an issue or not.

Edit: not using a screen protector and screen is clean.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gordon Ramsay For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Gordon Ramsay Ad-Free
28th May 2012, 12:26 AM |#2  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 149

More
Mines just fine, no screen protector.

Edit: I can have my hand about 3 inches away before it stops.
28th May 2012, 02:07 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Beavercreek, OH

More
Just tried to do a factory reset on mine, guess im going to have to return it..however the hell I'm supposed to do that I have no idea...
28th May 2012, 04:46 PM |#4  
Flag Muskegon, MI
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Ramsay

Just tried to do a factory reset on mine, guess im going to have to return it..however the hell I'm supposed to do that I have no idea...

Mine's like this too but I may just keep it.

I seem to have issues with past phones proximity sensors... being too close meant the screen would come on and i'd push buttons/mute/hang up on the other person all of the time. I'd have to intentionally hold the phone a little ways from my ear so the screen stays off.

And that's just stupid. I don't mind having to hit the power button to hang up the call. I'd say mine only works 1/25 times. Usually the screen just stays dark constantly.

No screen protector, clean screen.
28th May 2012, 05:39 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Mine's same way, if I'm on a call the phone looks dead. I have to hit power to get it on to end the call or interact with it.
28th May 2012, 06:00 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Beavercreek, OH

More
I have a replacement coming from telesales, hope it fixes it. Is there anyone who has one that works perfect? lol
28th May 2012, 06:11 PM |#7  
Flag Kansas City
Thanks Meter: 122

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Ramsay

I have a replacement coming from telesales, hope it fixes it. Is there anyone who has one that works perfect? lol

Did they give you a timetable on when it would be shipped? I tried calling today regarding my borked Google Wallet and they authorized a new device but the order support department is closed and they are suppose to call me back tomorrow.
28th May 2012, 06:58 PM |#8  
Flag Muskegon, MI
Thanks Meter: 22

More
In playing with the diagnostic mode I don't believe these phones even have a proximity sensor. I think its relying 100% on the light sensor. try it... the phone screen won't turn on automatically when its not very bright out.

I only see one hole in the face of the phone and I assume that's the light sensor.
28th May 2012, 07:44 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Beavercreek, OH

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfire

Did they give you a timetable on when it would be shipped? I tried calling today regarding my borked Google Wallet and they authorized a new device but the order support department is closed and they are suppose to call me back tomorrow.

It was said 2-5 days (if that)
28th May 2012, 07:46 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Beavercreek, OH

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDrake

In playing with the diagnostic mode I don't believe these phones even have a proximity sensor. I think its relying 100% on the light sensor. try it... the phone screen won't turn on automatically when its not very bright out.

I only see one hole in the face of the phone and I assume that's the light sensor.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gordon Ramsay For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Gordon Ramsay Ad-Free
28th May 2012, 07:59 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
i thought that was by design... the proximity sensor IS the light sensor, that controls auto-brightness, and if its doing like a call, if light is dark, it goes off. (saves money, real estate, and battery, only one sensor instead of 2)

That was also why if you press it up to your face too fast, screen stays on and buttons press. if you smash it on your face, the screen light reflects off your face enough to trigger the sensor to think its still 'bright' out. you have to semi-deliberately, (means:slower-ly) raise the phone to your ear so there's the second of darkness before the screen light starts bouncing off your face strong enough to trigger it.

p.s. - this is also more of a wpp
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)