[Q] Getting YouTube links to open in App

172 posts
Thanks Meter: 12

By randomrobbi, Senior Member on 3rd June 2012, 06:30 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Whenever I click a YouTube link it opens in the browser instead of the App.

Is this pertaining to the "data tapping" patent that Apple somehow was awarded and does anyone have any idea how to make it work as previously intended and open in the YouTube app.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
3rd June 2012, 06:33 AM |#2  
Flag Cleveland
Thanks Meter: 237

Donate to Me
More
was wondering the same thing
3rd June 2012, 06:35 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Louisville, KY

More
Yeah it is driving me insane...its like oh hey...let's totally change the way something has been for years.

3rd June 2012, 06:52 AM |#4  
Flag Costa Mesa, CA
Thanks Meter: 212

More
Thank Apple for this. It's part of the patent that had these phones held up in customs. It's the same on any US based Sense 3.6 rom and Sense 4.0 rom such as the HTC One X. The app that does this is htclinkifydispatcher.apk.
3rd June 2012, 07:03 AM |#5  
Flag Newport beach
Thanks Meter: 108

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by donatom3

Thank Apple for this. It's part of the patent that had these phones held up in customs. It's the same on any US based Sense 3.6 rom and Sense 4.0 rom such as the HTC One X. The app that does this is htclinkifydispatcher.apk.

Is there a way to get it working on our phone again?

3rd June 2012, 07:06 AM |#6  
Flag Costa Mesa, CA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ep3n3wp

Is there a way to get it working on our phone again?

If you have root you can use a file explorer and rename htclinkifydispatcher.apk to something like htclinkifydispatcher.apkBAK. This will break a few things. You won't be able to open any links from the default text app, google talk will crash everytime you try to open a link, and you won't get youtube links to work in stock browser, but all other programs work fine.
3rd June 2012, 07:24 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Louisville, KY

More
Quote:

If you have root you can use a file explorer and rename htclinkifydispatcher.apk to something like htclinkifydispatcher.apkBAK. This will break a few things. You won't be able to open any links from the default text app, google talk will crash everytime you try to open a link, and you won't get youtube links to work in stock browser, but all other programs work fine.

Jesus Christ...I froze mine with titanium but YouTube still opens in browser. I will try it your way and see if I can live with it.

Why must Apple mess with HTC. I have had a Samsung Galaxy S and GS2 since the first Epic launched and this is seriously the one thing I hate about the EVO. Esp if I have 6 tabs open when I try to click a link.

On Viper also not that that matters.

Does any devs or anyone have any thoughts about reverting it back and having it be stable?

I would pay for the old way...I didn't always wanna use a certain app when hitting things and now I'm forced to set defaults.

3rd June 2012, 07:29 AM |#8  
Flag Costa Mesa, CA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomrobbi

Jesus Christ...I froze mine with titanium but YouTube still opens in browser. I will try it your way and see if I can live with it.

Why must Apple mess with HTC. I have had a Samsung Galaxy S and GS2 since the first Epic launched and this is seriously the one thing I hate about the EVO. Esp if I have 6 tabs open when I try to click a link.

On Viper also not that that matters.

Does any devs or anyone have any thoughts about reverting it back and having it be stable?

I would pay for the old way...I didn't always wanna use a certain app when hitting things and now I'm forced to set defaults.

Freezing doesn't work, I forgot to mention after renaming the file you have to reboot. Also make sure to clear defaults for the stock browser, and while you're at it, I suggest downloading ICS Browser+
The Following User Says Thank You to donatom3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift donatom3 Ad-Free
3rd June 2012, 07:37 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Louisville, KY

More
Def going to, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

3rd June 2012, 04:48 PM |#10  
Flag everett
Thanks Meter: 3,138

More
Quote:

The irony there would be if you did that, so you could open links to YouTube with YouTube app, then somebody texted you a link to a YouTube video. Lol

But yeah, this infuriates me The way apple screwed us!! I mean, it used to work beautifully. It was genius. Can't wait for some AOSP ROMs, as they won't suffer from this. Everyone should smash apples

sent from my Evo LTE, usually.
3rd June 2012, 05:31 PM |#11  
Flag Costa Mesa, CA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottspa74

The irony there would be if you did that, so you could open links to YouTube with YouTube app, then somebody texted you a link to a YouTube video. Lol

But yeah, this infuriates me The way apple screwed us!! I mean, it used to work beautifully. It was genius. Can't wait for some AOSP ROMs, as they won't suffer from this. Everyone should smash apples

sent from my Evo LTE, usually.

If you use a third party messaging app it's fine. Honestly HTC just needs to add more options to their app associations. Sense ROMs from other countries don't have this problem so a custom sense rom using their apks would solve this problem.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
question

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)