FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

remap volume buttons to power button - for people with broken power button Captivates

38 posts
Thanks Meter: 17

By puneet_champ, Member on 7th June 2012, 01:00 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi every1,

I have a captivate with a broken power button and it was driving me nuts for the last 2 months since I couldnot wake up the phone if it went to lock screen. I tried no lock and other apps but they didnt work 100% of the time. Today I found this thread :
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=850464

It is button remapper utility but it doesnot support captivate yet. However my only concern was to remap my volume buttons to power button.
This is how I did it :

Firstly, we'll need to pull the file that controls the buttons which is entitled "aries-keypad.kl" in "system/usr/keylayout".

To pull the file, connect your captivate and run:
Quote:

adb remount
adb pull system/usr/keylayout/aries-keypad.kl aries-keypad.kl

Edit this pulled file like below :
Quote:

key 115 POWER WAKE
key 114 POWER WAKE
key 102 HOME WAKE_DROPPED
key 116 POWER WAKE

Key 115 was VOLUME_UP while Key 114 was VOLUME_DOWN. I reassigned both to behave as POWER button.

After you're done with your edits, you'll need to save the file properly (NO .txt files!), and then you'll have to push it back to the phone.

Quote:

adb remount
adb push aries-keypad.kl /system/usr/keylayout

Reboot your phone, and then check to see if the remapping works as expected. Your volume buttons should now behave as power button.

Simple and Effective!

For more info, look at threads :
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=850464
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=695936
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to puneet_champ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift puneet_champ Ad-Free

10th June 2012, 07:49 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks for this, but I just have two questions.

Does this make us lose control of the volume using the volume rocker?

and

This change allows us to turn turn off the screen as well using the volume buttons, correct? Not just to power the screen on.
11th June 2012, 04:01 AM |#3  
Dalton
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Yes you will lose volume control over which ever you choose. I personally chose to lose my volume up since i think it would be more important to lower my volume if i suddenly needed to. To answer you second question yes this function will work as an exact replacement for your power button meaning it turns the screen on, off, powers on and off, and would get you into download or recovery mode depending on the volume rocker you still had available.\

P.S. I did not change all options to the power key. I left the Key 114 VOLUME_DOWN the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Killerfish1450 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Killerfish1450 Ad-Free
12th June 2012, 01:08 AM |#4  

More
oh alright. Thanks!

So I decided to go ahead and try this but I seem to run into a problem. I am able to pull the file through adb, but I can't seem to push it back into the phone. It gives me two errors: "operation denied" and "read-only file." Is there any way to fix this? If it matters, I am able to pull the file with having to do the "adb remount" step; idk if there is something wrong, but it won't let me "adb remount" either.

I've made sure I have all the su permissions so i don't what could be wrong.
12th June 2012, 09:11 PM |#5  
boston
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtd9

oh alright. Thanks!

So I decided to go ahead and try this but I seem to run into a problem. I am able to pull the file through adb, but I can't seem to push it back into the phone. It gives me two errors: "operation denied" and "read-only file." Is there any way to fix this? If it matters, I am able to pull the file with having to do the "adb remount" step; idk if there is something wrong, but it won't let me "adb remount" either.

I've made sure I have all the su permissions so i don't what could be wrong.

You can edit the files on your phone using ES File Explorer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rizzo1001 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rizzo1001 Ad-Free
13th June 2012, 03:56 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
If you install most asop builds there is usually an option under from control that will let you use the volume button to turn on the screen without losing volume cintrols . Works well too.
The Following User Says Thank You to hd779 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hd779 Ad-Free
14th June 2012, 03:01 AM |#7  

More
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but since we seem to have a similar problem, I figured you guys would have an answer.

How, if possible, are you guys installing custom rom since I really can't get CWM to work with the power button broken?
14th June 2012, 02:55 PM |#8  
boston
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I'm using Root Toolbox to reboot in recovery, then using the home button for selecting things in CWM.
5th July 2012, 08:37 AM |#9  
Flag General Trias
Thanks Meter: 340

More
For example i remapped the power button to vol down. If my phone is off, can I power it on by using the volume down?
5th July 2012, 01:00 PM |#10  
Flag Wichita, KS
Thanks Meter: 335

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeoutttt

For example i remapped the power button to vol down. If my phone is off, can I power it on by using the volume down?

No you cannot. The remap only takes affect when android has booted. When the phone is off the power button is still the power button

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium
2nd October 2012, 12:46 AM |#11  

More
Thank you, it worked like a Charm...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)