FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TUTORIAL] ROOTING SK17i ICS 4.0.4 FW 4.1.B.0.431

31 posts
Thanks Meter: 45

By patembe, Member on 9th June 2012, 07:57 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
DISCLAIMER: Flashing your mobile is at your own risk,flashing may void your warranty and SONY (and me) would be in no way responsible for any damage.

This tutorial is just for SK17i user who wants to get root access for their device running ICS 4.0.4 (4.1.B.0.431). (like me )

First of all, I assumed that you already in ICS 4.0.4 ROM

[ REQUIREMENTS ]
  • Stock ICS firmware 4.1.B.0.431
  • ADB drivers installed (if u are not sure, then install this)

[ PREPARATION ]
  • Make sure you have installed ADB drivers.
  • Enable "USB DEBUGGING" - from (Menu\Settings\Developer Options\Development)
  • Enable "UNKNOWN SOURCES" - from (Menu\Settings\Security)
  • The last but not least, ensure that you choose "MASS STORAGE MODE (MSC)" - from (Menu\Settings\Xperia(tm)\Connectivity\USB connection mode) - Thanks scroolik

[ HOW TO ]

1. Flash the kernel from 4.0.3 firmware

As we know that our Mini Pro doesn't get 4.0.3 update and hence they don't have 4.0.3 kernel unlike arc, neo v etc.
    The thing is arc, arc s, neo , neo v, ray are quite easier to root as they got the 4.0.3 update and 4.0.3 is possible to root, so by flashing kernel and then rooting works.

But in this case, we could use Neo/New V 4.0.3 kernel, so download Neo V FTF File here and flash just the kernel (see picture) from it using flashtool.

After complete flashing the kernel, just close the flashtool.

Just a note to anyone else - That 4.0.3 kernel won't actually boot properly (screen will be blank or will have a red LED and bright white back button LED). Don't worry it's okay

2. Root your device using DooMLoRD's method

Don't forget to close flashtool, now turn on your device and connect it to the PC, and start the rooting method as describe here.

Just follow the instruction, until the prompt say IT'S DONE.

3. Flash back the stock 4.0.4 kernel firmware

Flash back the stock 4.0.4, you can download the FTF file here (SK17i) (thanks Someguyfromhell).

REMEMBER: Just Flash The Kernel, see the image on the point 1 (above)

When done, you will have SuperUser installed in the Mini Pro 4.0.4 ROM

Credit and Thanks to:
- Nabeel for the GUIDE
- DooMLoRD's for the Rooting Toolkit for Xperia 2011 ICS
- Androxyde for his awesome Flashtool
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	captureflashtools.jpg
Views:	145168
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	1117865  
The Following 40 Users Say Thank You to patembe For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift patembe Ad-Free

11th June 2012, 12:22 PM |#2  
Flag ipoh
Thanks Meter: 2

Donate to Me
More
want to ask bro, when i try to flash my xperia mini pro kernel, the steps where it ask me to hold the x10i back button and replug usb, i tried but i cant proceed, cause mini pro back button is touch sensor, not physical button, any ideas?
11th June 2012, 12:29 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1,104

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwoarang5

want to ask bro, when i try to flash my xperia mini pro kernel, the steps where it ask me to hold the x10i back button and replug usb, i tried but i cant proceed, cause mini pro back button is touch sensor, not physical button, any ideas?

Press the volume down button instead of the back button.

Thanks,
Rick

Hit Thanks if I helped in anyways.
(also, check my Sig for aliter to root)

Sent from my SK17i using XDA
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DragonClawsAreSharp For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DragonClawsAreSharp Ad-Free
11th June 2012, 12:32 PM |#4  
Flag Seremban
Thanks Meter: 208

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by patembe

DISCLAIMER: Flashing your mobile is at your own risk,flashing may void your warranty and SONY (and me) would be in no way responsible for any damage.

This tutorial is just for SK17i user who wants to get root access for their device running ICS 4.0.4 (4.1.B.0.431). (like me )

First of all, I assumed that you already in ICS 4.0.4 ROM

[ REQUIREMENTS ]

• Stock ICS firmware 4.1.B.0.431
  • ADB drivers installed (if u are not sure, then install this)

[ PREPARATION ]

[ HOW TO ]

1. Flash the kernel from 4.0.3 firmware

As we know that our Mini Pro doesn't get 4.0.3 update and hence they don't have 4.0.3 kernel unlike arc, neo v etc.
    The thing is arc, arc s, neo , neo v, ray are quite easier to root as they got the 4.0.3 update and 4.0.3 is possible to root, so by flashing kernel and then rooting works.

But in this case, we could use Neo/New V 4.0.3 kernel, so download Neo V FTF File here and flash just the kernel (see picture) from it using flashtool.

After complete flashing the kernel, just close the flashtool.

Just a note to anyone else - That 4.0.3 kernel won't actually boot properly (screen will be blank or will have a red LED and bright white back button LED). Don't worry it's okay

2. Root your device using DooMLoRD's method

Don't forget to close flashtool, now turn on your device and connect it to the PC, and start the rooting method as describe here.

Just follow the instruction, until the prompt say IT'S DONE.

3. Flash back the stock 4.0.4 kernel firmware

Flash back the stock 4.0.4, you can download the FTF file here (SK17i).

REMEMBER: Just Flash The Kernel, see the image on the point 1 (above)

When done, you will have SuperUser installed in the Mini Pro 4.0.4 ROM

Credit and Thanks to:
- Nabeel for the GUIDE
- DooMLoRD's for the Rooting Toolkit for Xperia 2011 ICS
- Androxyde for his awesome Flashtool

Nice tutorial man,this should help others :thumbup: and you should add picture preview of Sk17a/i ICS

Sent from my SK17i using xda premium
11th June 2012, 02:23 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
>>Just a note to anyone else - That 4.0.3 kernel won't actually boot properly
>>Don't forget to close flashtool, now turn on your device and connect it to the PC, and start the rooting method as describe here.

Does the DooMLoRD's work even does not boot the phone?
11th June 2012, 03:52 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
hi, after flashing the first kernel, my mini pro didnt start up, like you said with a enlightended backflash and red led, but also is caught up in a restart cycle almost every ten seconds. i cannot use flashtool nor pc companion for that reason. any ideas how to fix it?

thank you
11th June 2012, 03:57 PM |#7  
Flag Seremban
Thanks Meter: 208

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniproisbroken

hi, after flashing the first kernel, my mini pro didnt start up, like you said with a enlightended backflash and red led, but also is caught up in a restart cycle almost every ten seconds. i cannot use flashtool nor pc companion for that reason. any ideas how to fix it?

thank you

Yeah I was thinking that too,how will you root using Doomlord if your phone got bootloop?

11th June 2012, 04:23 PM |#8  

More
i correct my former post, flashtool of course is still useable, so you can easily fix with the org kernel. but you cant run doomlords properly. ideas?
12th June 2012, 03:53 AM |#9  
OP Member
Flag Maros
Thanks Meter: 45

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilephone01

>>Just a note to anyone else - That 4.0.3 kernel won't actually boot properly
>>Don't forget to close flashtool, now turn on your device and connect it to the PC, and start the rooting method as describe here.

Does the DooMLoRD's work even does not boot the phone?

Actually, our phone is still "boot", but not properly
absolutely, DooMLoRD's method will work in this condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by UchihaDareNial

Yeah I was thinking that too,how will you root using Doomlord if your phone got bootloop?

Hey, don't think too much buddy, just act I ensure you that my SK17i now have root access trust me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniproisbroken

i correct my former post, flashtool of course is still useable, so you can easily fix with the org kernel. but you cant run doomlords properly. ideas?

Yeah, of course we can run DooMLoRD's method as well, just ensure you have read the preparation for it. are you sure have done it?
  • The last but not least, ensure that you choose "MASS STORAGE MODE (MSC)" - from (Menu\Settings\Xperia(tm)\Connectivity\USB connection mode)
12th June 2012, 11:38 AM |#10  

More
Wink Sony Xperia Mini Pro (SK17i)_4.1.B.0.431 (ICS_4.0.4)_O2 Deutschland.ftf
Let me know if anyone needs the following ftf file: Sony Xperia Mini Pro (SK17i)_4.1.B.0.431 (ICS_4.0.4)_O2 Deutschland.ftf . Thanks to the Original Poster, instructions worked like a charm. I guess the ftf is vendor specific. The WORLD version didn't work for me so I created my own FTF using SUS.
12th June 2012, 12:17 PM |#11  

More
tried again, worked fine. i used windows-reboot to make sure no drivers were still running in background. thank you so much.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
4.0.4, ics, rooting, sk17i, xperia mini pro

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)