[Guide for Themers and Developers] Mass Icon/Image Editing!

Search This thread

ReapersDeath

Dec 6, 2011
Washington
Well, I'm new to theming but I have heavy knowledge of using Photoshop and i thought I'd share a very nice feature that WILL save you hours of work!

So, you know when you want to change the look of well over 200 battery icons? Recoloring them or what ever you would feel to do, would take maybe 4 or 5 hours? Maybe 3 if your fast and know exactly what your doing.

Anyways, this Guide is to you take 30 seconds and have all changed!

First off, Have all the Icons that you want to recolor in one folder! (Perfectly on Desktop), and then an "Edit Icons" Folder.

1.jpg

Next, Open Photoshop.

Open ONE of the unedited Icons!

2.jpg

Next, go to Window>Actions.

3.jpg

Now at this point select the Default Actions Layer within the Actions window and expand it.

Next, click the new tab button within the Actions window and Create a name like "Icon Recoloring". Just something specific to your task.

4.jpg

Then, once you hit record, Photoshop will start to record your tasks. Only tasks that modify the image.

So at this point make your edits. A simple edit for wanting to change the color, go to Image>Adjustments> Hue and Saturation. I set mine to +100, which made my screen battery into a cyan or bright blue, what ever you would like to call it.

After you make your changes, click the stop button at the bottom of the actions window. (Do not save this icon you just recolored)

Next, you go to File>Automate>Batch and a window will pop up.

You need to set the correct settings.

Under the "Set:" section, select "Default Actions".

For "Action:" select the Action you created. (For me it was Icon Recoloring).

What you do at this point for the Source section, is select the folder containing the UNEDITED ICONS. Ignore the check boxes.

Next you choose your Destination Folder where you want the edited icons to go.

5.jpg

Once you do this, click "OK". Your Photoshop will kind of flicker as its rapidly opening, and recoloring the icons and placing them in the destination folder. The icons will be the same color as before in your Photoshop window but they will be the color you want in the Destination Folder.

6.jpg

andddd that's all to it! Remember that the action you create will be placed to every image you have selected. so please avoid specific icon edits!

Hit thanks if this was helpful!

Last edited:

Luisit0

Mar 29, 2011
San Juan
Well, I'm new to theming but I have heavy knowledge of using Photoshop and i thought I'd share a very nice feature that WILL save you hours of work!

So, you know when you want to change the look of well over 200 battery icons? Recoloring them or what ever you would feel to do, would take maybe 4 or 5 hours? Maybe 3 if your fast and know exactly what your doing.

First off, Have all the Icons that you want to recolor in one folder! (Perfectly on Desktop), and then an "Edit Icons" Folder.

1.jpg

Next, Open Photoshop.

2.jpg

3.jpg

Now at this point select the Default Actions Layer within the Actions window and expand it.

Next, click the new tab button within the Actions window and Create a name like "Icon Recoloring". Just something specific to your task.

4.jpg

Then, once you hit record, Photoshop will start to record your tasks. Only tasks that modify the image.

So at this point make your edits. A simple edit for wanting to change the color, go to Image>Adjustments> Hue and Saturation. I set mine to +100, which made my screen battery into a cyan or bright blue, what ever you would like to call it.

After you make your changes, click the stop button at the bottom of the actions window. (Do not save this icon you just recolored)

What you do at this point for the Source section, is select the folder containing the UNEDITED ICONS. Ignore the check boxes.

5.jpg

Once you do this, click "OK". Your Photoshop will kind of flicker as its rapidly opening, and recoloring the icons and placing them in the destination folder. The icons will be the same color as before in your Photoshop window but they will be the color you want in the Destination Folder.

6.jpg

andddd that's all to it! Remember that the action you create will be placed to every image you have selected. so please avoid specific icon edits!

guess I'll start using photoshop since i dunno if gimp has this feature, thanks for sharing!!

lithid-cm

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 1, 2010
Cleveland
Install imagemagick
Code:
sudo apt-get install imagemagick
Get the hue you want (should already know) and run it against a folder of images:

Command:
Code:
for x in `ls |grep png`; do convert $x -modulate 100,100,50 -alpha off icon.png -compose CopyOpacity -composite PNG32:output.png; mv output.png $x.png; done
This command will also save the alpha layer of the png. Plus you just saved yourself a trip to windows land, a bunch or money, or downloading and using illegal software.

:)

I can do this too, can I open my own thread in development as well? This belongs in themes and apps.

Reactions: X_N_

ReapersDeath

Dec 6, 2011
Washington
Incorrect, How To and Guides go in Development, and it aids in development. Its also for Information purposes. Stop trolling XD A lot of people have Photoshop already for what ever purpose.

X_N_

Feb 21, 2012
Incorrect, How To and Guides go in Development, and it aids in development. Its also for Information purposes. Stop trolling XD A lot of people have Photoshop already for what ever purpose.

While some what true this Section of the 4G Department says "Sprint HTC EVO 4G Android software development"

This would belong more in the Themes & Application as it refers to that subject matter more appropriately. Yes How To And Guides do go here but that only applies to Mod How To's and Rom How To's. Lithid is not Trolling just stating the Facts.

ReapersDeath

Dec 6, 2011
Washington
While some what true this Section of the 4G Department says "Sprint HTC EVO 4G Android software development"

This would belong more in the Themes & Application as it refers to that subject matter more appropriately. Yes How To And Guides do go here but that only applies to Mod How To's and Rom How To's. Lithid is not Trolling just stating the Facts.

I just posted where i saw all the how to and guides. Sorry. Even though the way the ROM looks is part of its development. Don't complain about a nice gesture.

Last edited:

lithid-cm

Jul 1, 2010
Cleveland
I just posted where i saw all the how to and guides. Sorry. Even though the way the ROM looks is part of its development. Don't complain about a nice gesture.
Theming has a dedicated section. Theming is not development. Which is why themes are posted in... well... the theming section.

Troll? Meh, your not even worth the effort son.

LouRock

Apr 12, 2011
Boston MA\San Juan PR

Don't be sorry bro! It's people like that that keep a lot of people like you with good intentions and potential from even wasting there time posting on xda.

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium

Reactions: Zzz73

lithid-cm

Jul 1, 2010
Cleveland
Don't be sorry bro! It's people like that that keep a lot of people like you with good intentions and potential from even wasting there time posting on xda.

Intentions are only half of it. Can't get a job with good intentions alone. Sorry. In order for development to continue, things need to be in their rightful place. When someone comes to the site looking for development they shouldn't be seeing guides on how to batch hue some files. Is it helpful, yes. Is it development? Nope. Doesn't belong here. If that is trolling, then you should look up the definition.

Last edited:

LouRock

Apr 12, 2011
Boston MA\San Juan PR
Intentions are only half of it. Can't get a job with good intentions alone. Sorry. In order for development to continue, things need to be in their rightful place. When someone comes to the site looking for development they shouldn't be seeing guides on how to batch hue some files. Is it helpful, yes. Is it development? Nope. Doesn't belong here. If that is trolling, then you should look up the definition.

Dude, why are you so mad? Do you need a hug??

Reactions: Zzz73

X_N_

Feb 21, 2012

No one is complaining.. It is just the fact that your post is in the wrong section. If everyone posted in wrong sections of the forum and said "Yeah even though it's in the wrong section atleast I'm helping".. then no one would find what there looking for.

ReapersDeath

Dec 6, 2011
Washington
Ok guys its seriously trolling now. If a mod sees it as appropriate to move, then they will. End of story. Theming is changing a ROMs preset look that the developer made. This guide helps themers and developers. Developers when it comes to images and icons. No reason for this to become a war.

Last edited:
Reactions: LouRock

Ken C

Mar 5, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S10
Nah... Not really but its all good ;) All I'm saying is that we should take it easy on each other because I know a few good devs that refuse to share their work on here because of some of the drama that unfortunately exist here on xda.

That is very true, I used to love coming here to see what stuff the devs had come up with for the best device I've ever had the honor to own.

But now when I read a thread I have to waste so much time reading posts that amount to nothing more than pissing matches that it's become pointless.

It's truly a shame. Part of the beauty of open source is being able to share knowledge and developments that not only teaches us more about our devices but also builds a real community of like minded individuals.

Android is made for people that like to challenge themselves. If we just wanted a gadget we could've gotten iPhones. Instead because of the community we have devices that Apple has to build a whole new phone to compete with. (Don't tell me y'all don't dig that :D)

But it's hard to learn anything when your attacked because your trying to learn more.

To quote Uncle Ben: "with great power comes great responsibility."

Not the opportunity to treat somebody like garbage.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1.jpg

Next, Open Photoshop.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Install imagemagick
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install imagemagick
    Get the hue you want (should already know) and run it against a folder of images:

Command:
    Code:
    for x in `ls |grep png`; do convert $x -modulate 100,100,50 -alpha off icon.png -compose CopyOpacity -composite PNG32:output.png; mv output.png $x.png; done
    This command will also save the alpha layer of the png. Plus you just saved yourself a trip to windows land, a bunch or money, or downloading and using illegal software.

:)

I can do this too, can I open my own thread in development as well? This belongs in themes and apps.

Dude, why are you so mad? Do you need a hug??

Ok guys its seriously trolling now. If a mod sees it as appropriate to move, then they will. End of story. Theming is changing a ROMs preset look that the developer made. This guide helps themers and developers. Developers when it comes to images and icons. No reason for this to become a war.